Author Topic: Morning Line Madness ?  (Read 1558 times)

Harness Stats

Morning Line Madness ?
« on: June 28, 2020, 03:32:28 PM »
I don't usually even look at Georgian Downs in Canada but they are having a couple of Gold 3yr Trots tonight so I thought I'd see if there was anything interesting as I usually only bet on Stakes and Opens.

What I saw amazed me.  In every race the morning lines are totally out of whack.  Line makers are supposed to make prices so they usually total about 125 percent to take into consideration takeout. In every race I looked at they totaled more than 150 percent in some cases 200 percent.  Look at the 8th race for example.  The morning line has a horse at even money, 2 to 1,  5/2, 3 to 1, 7/2, 4 to 1. and the "longshots" are 6 and 8 to 1

Who does those lines and how are they allowed to keep their job?   Every horse in that race except for the even money is going to technically be an overlay.  IMO it's a total disservice to bettors as the base they are starting with is fraudulent.

Rabbi Of Racing

Re: Morning Line Madness ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »
That is what you are thinking about?  ngc3

Harness Stats

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 04:07:38 PM »
I'm pointing out something that is just plain wrong and potentially harmful to bettors. If Brower made lines like that at Big M the whole site would be all over his ass for stupidity.

cornishcommish

• Open / FFA
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 05:21:44 PM »
Note to Harness Stats

Setting a morning line takes lots of talent...and time

We all use it as an indicator..for  DD and Pick 3  Will Pays...looking for an out of line price

These people who set the ML..are not paid very well...and they are generally asked to do this as part of their MAINE duties

Just for fun..some time..take a couple of races out of the Overnight listing..your choice of which races,
and take a major track.

It is not easy to do..remember..you are trying to predict what the final odds will be.

About 10 years ago..I was at a Maine Fair.....entering a couple of horses.......and they had a deadline to print the program...and the guy who did the ML  was a "no show"

The race office knew I liked to bet..asked me to do the Morning line and selections in each race. These should be different.
I spent 1 hour , just doing 10 races.......and if I was challenged to bet on my ML........There would be No Bet

The daily handle was around  $ 100,000., so the odds in a race could vary from 4/5 to 50 to 1
From a marketing point of view...could you give someone a ML of 50 to 1 ??

Try it some time and let us know.....in advance the actual race

Harness Stats

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 06:04:55 PM »
All professional handicappers set odds on races they intend to bet on. Sure it takes time but that's what doing homework is all about.

What I'm saying is go look at Georgian Downs morning lines tonight and compare them to every other track in the world.  I don't know if that linemaker does this every card or was just too lazy today.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
  • Unclejerry: In race 4
    April 27, 2024, 08:46:31 PM
  • Unclejerry: Super/Tri/Eacta just given out in Jerrys thread !
    April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 PM
  • Unclejerry: Check Jerry's thread often bets are being made and posted
    April 27, 2024, 07:15:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal