Author Topic: Do Harness Trainers/Owners Pay for Workers Compenation?  (Read 3533 times)

Calhoun

• Elite
Do Harness Trainers/Owners Pay for Workers Compenation?
« on: April 06, 2020, 04:09:53 PM »
I just saw that California trainers are being surcharged $1,200 per horse for the first quarter of 2020.  Retroactively. 

paulickreport.com

"A shortfall in California's self-insured workers' compensation program caused in part by the temporary cessation of racing in the state has led to trainers being invoiced $1,233 per horse retroactively for the first quarter of 2020." ...

Do harness trainers pay WC?

TTitans1

• Stakes Horse
Re: Do Harness Trainers/Owners Pay for Workers Compenation?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 04:57:31 PM »
They do if they have workers. Even if they have people paddock for them. Some try ways around it but they mostly have it.

samstar

• Open / FFA
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 10:21:42 AM »
Any trainer who fails to have Workmen Comp ins is risking everything that he owns.  Workers comp  protects you from being sued by an employee for injury suffered on the job.  It is very expensive but not as expensive as not having it and having an
employee get hurt.

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 10:31:06 AM »
Any trainer who fails to have Workmen Comp ins is risking everything that he owns.  Workers comp  protects you from being sued by an employee for injury suffered on the job.  It is very expensive but not as expensive as not having it and having an
employee get hurt.

A win-win, as employee gets treatment vs outright heave ho as well.

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 10:52:56 AM »
The tracks that enforce the Workers Comp Ins. rules in reality just cause more beard trainers. 
Examples, I can give you many if you wish.
More rules that make us crooks.
Nobody ever makes you a crook. It is you who decides to do what you do.

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »
Paying Workers Comp. insurance is definitely burdensome. 22% of wage plus 7% SS plus unemployment ins. Better than 30% of a gross wage is paid by the employer to the government. No doubt employers decide to be creative in avoiding these taxes but, that gust makes the tab hire for those that do pay.
 How would you like to be e Thoroughbred trainer in NY, racing at a NYRA track? Not only are you subject to all the above but, you must pay the DOL minimum wage and overtime standards along with paid meal periods.

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 11:37:44 AM »

Not only are you subject to all the above but, you must pay the DOL minimum wage

How do you get through it all?  Having to pay a worker minimum wage.

Good thing to sob about.

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 02:21:51 PM »
Sarcasm aside, it is a,significant increase in wage for many back stretch workers. Let's ad the recent NYS law for guaranteed paid sick time as well as paid family leave, and it could double the cost of labor for many trainers.

SportsmansP5/8

• Open / FFA
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 02:41:32 PM »
I know when i owned horses here at sportsmans those guys got a place to stay and i personal took care of there meals on days i had a horse in but some of these cheap owners nothing an these workers were illegal just scrapping by!!!!!! Another dark side of our industry but its the truth!!!!!!! Over the bridge onn31st and Laramie after ktown u will enter a neighborhood that has enough illegal money to pay for all there stayes tho and nothing is done about that so for every one that is poor one is living just fine!!!’ 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Michael Petrelli: WNBA should just copy the Haness Racing business model. State welfare.
    Today at 07:42:20 PM
  • Unclejerry: If Joe is so concerned about Katlen Clarks salary, why dont he buy a ticket for an WNBA game?
    April 18, 2024, 06:23:45 PM
  • Calhoun: Meadowlands just sent me email .. there's a P-8 Carryover ... $1,800 ... That changes everything ngc3
    April 18, 2024, 04:53:05 PM
  • Calhoun: Kirby crossed the Delaware before George Washington to make sure it was safe.  True story 100%
    April 18, 2024, 02:39:12 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Kirby's Ace the most trusted individual in harness racing... at least in his mind. ngc3
    April 18, 2024, 09:32:43 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Only loose ends are the entrails of Delaware residents.
    April 18, 2024, 09:27:22 AM
  • Kirby's Ace: Hopefully Admon is cleaning up loose ands and you know what that means!
    April 17, 2024, 11:26:37 PM
  • Unclejerry: COCK-A-DODDLE-DO is the rooster in a pile of PLOP
    April 17, 2024, 11:11:47 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal