Author Topic: Who is responsible for the success of Lyons Sentinel?  (Read 10009 times)

Harness Stats

Who is responsible for the success of Lyons Sentinel?
« on: February 17, 2020, 11:08:20 PM »
She made more money (801,000) than any other 2 year old last year regardless of gait. So who gets the credit for all of her success so far? The daughter of Captain Treacherous was bought for $55,000 at Harrisburg by the Lyons Brothers.  Given to Gareth Dowse to train as a 2 year old along with a bunch of other Lyons horses, Blue Chip Farms horses, and others.  Started her year with Dowse never finishing worse than 2nd in her first 3 races, then the "Guru" mentions in his column that Dowse has a very high training percentage which leads to Josh Marks threatening Ray Schnittker who he accuses of shooting his mouth off.  Within a week or so all of Dowse's horses were taken away and I don't remember him racing anything for the rest of the year. Lyons Sentinel and others owned by the Lyons Brothers were given to the Kings and here is Jim Kings quote after she won the She's A Great Lady. “About the time she walked into my barn I could tell she’s pretty special.”  So who gets the credit for what she accomplished?

Dowse? He obviously started her off right ... The Kings? They did get all the wins..  The "Guru"? for starting a chain of events that forced a barn change.. or what? IMO Dowse at least deserves some recognition.

Dingus

Re: Who is responsible for the success of Lyons Sentinel?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 11:41:45 PM »
Last start by Dowse was July, 2019, and his USTA license expired 12/31/19.

hoosierboy

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 06:10:34 AM »
Where is Dowse these days

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 06:49:12 AM »
Don’t think Marks wasn’t “helping “ King (Tetrick) all along

the master

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 07:51:53 AM »
The great ones can usually overcome obstacles! As far as Dowse is concerned, time and time again he's proven that he couldn't train a cat to drink milk! Josh Marks never met a horse he couldn't drug or a beard he couldn't ruin! His record as a loser is well documented!

ferdinand the bull

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 08:19:36 AM »
He has a colourful bunch of beards .
Purple and yellow , green and red and the list goes on
Only questions is why isn't the bum living high on the hog like Sukdik is

Harness Stats

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 03:33:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for reading my first post, here's my take so far

Thanks for the info Dingus, like I thought Dowse is done. 

Help, you miss the point. She's a game talented filly but like so many of the ancient elders on this site she cant even put her own shoes on by herself.   73cv.2

I agree with Stan durbread.  I don't think Marks had anything to do with the filly. He was associated with Blue Chip with his girlfriend Traci. Only the Lyons horses went to the Kings. Some of the Blue Chip horses were sold .. Quincy Blue Chip went for $335.000 at OnGait on July 15.  I don't remember where the other went but not to the Kings.

As for The Master's assumption that Dowse couldn't train a cat to drink milk (which is bad for them anyway).  Yes he was a beard and had a positive in 2018, but it was reported that he and his wife were very hard workers and you don't get the results he had in the two seasons he was around without doing something right

Iceman... Name me one horse that Surick ever had that was extraordinary? To my knowledge he had one Breeders Crown winner who did NOTHING the next year.  Menary has had only 2 horses that were in any way extraordinary He's Watching and Sintra and He's Watching is just a freak of nature with his insane speed for his size.

NJ The best

• Elite
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 09:13:56 PM »
Josh marks ,G areth Dowse, And the dude from Iowa.

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 09:33:00 PM »
She is responsible for her own success.

MOSTLY tmbz1

PurpleSheetPicks

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 10:28:40 PM »
Horse was nothing with dowse

Harness Stats

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 10:45:35 PM »
That's not what Jim King said after she won the She's a Great Lady. She only raced 3 times for Dowse never worst than 2nd. I don't have her PPS but I think there were stakes races and her margin of loss was minimal

Dingus

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 11:28:49 PM »
Any horse Josh Marks touches should come with a warning label, like cigarettes.

Dingus

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 08:56:23 AM »
How does Jim king go from a journeyman of a trainer/driver to batting .400 ?
Stock upgrade? It’s all in the blood ...

Married Jo Ann Looney

NJ The best

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 09:15:20 AM »
Marks took those garbage pieces from Bulletproof and went to the jug and jugette and the breeders crown . Morrill said they never knew where the mile ended .

Harness Stats

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 10:32:11 PM »

Surick only won that Breeders Crown with the help of Josh Marks.  Sold the filly after to Jimmy Takter and she never raced as 3yo.  Completely torched after Marks blew her head off for Breeders Crown.

Actually Erv Miller trained the horse Surick and KDM owned her She was sold to Diamond Creek was put into training and I believe did race a few times without doing much. Anyone with access to back stats can check it  Someomensomewhere was her name.

Heres what Adam Bowden said at the start of her 3 yr old campaign

"She has trained well in the lead-up to her qualifying on Saturday," noted Bowden. "Bob and I expect her to be very competitive this year. We think she fits well in this crop of three-year-old fillies. She is staked to everything and we will give her a shot as long as she tells us to.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: Bitter Truth just shit his depends
    April 20, 2024, 09:46:06 PM
  • Unclejerry: Unc Jerry Kicks ass at Mohawk
    April 20, 2024, 09:15:06 PM
  • Unclejerry: HONK HONK I shut the sound off on Mohawk, Fuc those two mouths
    April 20, 2024, 08:10:27 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Cock a Doodle Do. Uncle Jerry's says, and cock'el do!
    April 20, 2024, 07:48:44 PM
  • Unclejerry: If Joe is so concerned about the middle east sand rats, why does he and Obunghole keep sending billions to Iran?
    April 20, 2024, 01:56:02 PM
  • Michael Petrelli: WNBA should just copy the Haness Racing business model. State welfare.
    April 19, 2024, 07:42:20 PM
  • Unclejerry: If Joe is so concerned about Katlen Clarks salary, why dont he buy a ticket for an WNBA game?
    April 18, 2024, 06:23:45 PM
  • Calhoun: Meadowlands just sent me email .. there's a P-8 Carryover ... $1,800 ... That changes everything ngc3
    April 18, 2024, 04:53:05 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal