Author Topic: not sure who this applies to here.....but it's spot on  (Read 500 times)

zoot

• Stakes Horse
not sure who this applies to here.....but it's spot on
« on: January 07, 2019, 09:01:11 PM »

What are the ten most important things one needs to know about being over sixty?

You’ll eat less, and food will be less tasty, so you have to be more deliberate in what you eat, especially protein.
Your teeth will probably go to hell. Be ready cosmetically and functionally.
You have to be more careful and deliberate about the daily physical activities you engage in, or in fact the way you carry yourself in mundane, daily activities.

What was once bruising could be a bone breaking. It’s a long and depressing process, but your body tells you how to adjust. You just aren’t 19 anymore. Accept it with resignation and dignity. Have fun, be active, but know your limits and forget what you thought about “old people” when you were younger. You were right, but now you’re one of them.

Your muscles will atrophy no matter what you do, but weight training will slow it down. You’ll be less strong, slower, and your skin will wrinkle and sag, and spots will show up on your face seemingly-suddenly, and nature will generally let you know that you’re in decline, and this realization will be rude, and you’ll rail against it.

Eventually, you must surrender. Or not. It depends on how you want to go out, but you’re going out.
In general, people are less interested in you and ignore you (outside of typical economic transactions, of course). You’re just another old fart unless you’re rich or in some way very charismatic.

In a way, you become invisible. But when they start calling you “sir” and open the door for you, accept it graciously. They mean well and are showing respect.
You come to really not care what others think of you since there’s no reward in pleasing them and they aren’t paying attention to you anyway. You seem to have no value to younger people, so do your thing.
Usually, nobody wants to know your history or hear about your memories. You become rather enclosed. You want to share or keep alive and honor all your experiences and the great value they have in your life, but nobody’s listening. Nobody cares, the world moves on in general, and you kind of understand the distance you had between you and older people when you were young. You don’t understand until it’s too late. So, you accept and forgive.

The hardest part for me is encapsulated in the famous line from the movie Blade Runner: “All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.” Think about it. It’s true. But I’m given to melancholy.
Related to #1 above, I find I don’t feel “thirsty” even if dehydrated. Again, you have to be rather deliberate and conscious of drinking enough fluids even if you don’t particularly want to. I find this weird, but it seems true.
As to sex and libido in general, this varies. I find the idea of “passion” for anything attenuated — sex, cooking, eating, hiking, camping, fishing, my other old hobbies, outdoor activities, Christmas, whatever.

I took up skydiving and SCUBA diving and motorcycles late in life, and while I greatly enjoyed them, I should have started them when I was younger. Do that stuff if you can, but I wouldn’t expect them to be life-altering events nor paths for the future.
I honestly feel religious about this, that my proper activity is to learn to die in this world and be reborn in the spirit since, obviously, I’m ever-farther from the things of youth and ever-closer to bodily death.

It seems stupid, or ignorant, to try to hang on to what is already gone, and it seems equally stupid, or ignorant, to not face honestly what is to come.

“Do not go gentle into that good night . . . .” Dylan Thomas. This is good advice?

I prefer: “Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night, scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed by an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave, like one who wraps the drapery of his couch about him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.” William Cullen Bryant.
As others always say, I regret the undone more than the done. Forgive unconditionally yourself and others, and everyone, and everything. Say “Yes” to whatever is, or was, or will be. You’ve never controlled any of it, and you don’t know what any of it means. But it’s real.

when i think of what i could do as a young man....and what i can do now......it's tryely alarming

Rabbi Of Racing

• Stakes Horse
Re: not sure who this applies to here.....but it's spot on
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:07:19 PM »
I will be DEAD by 60,and that's a lock

HornbyDuke

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 09:11:56 PM »
I'm 59; had some kid at a gas station call me pop the other day. First time ngc3

kentuckywars

• Elite
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »
take a look at all the degenerates at a racetrack like M1 on the weekends and it is no wonder why many of them in their mid 40's look like they are 60 plus.... many obese and out of shape with no concern for their bodies and only looking to cash a bet.... many lost individuals on a dead end road.

zoot

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 09:29:24 PM »
I don't eat,drink,hunt,work,play,fish,gamble or fuck any more.  am I still alive ?

HornbyDuke

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 09:31:17 PM »
Big m is a bad example. They have those gourmet dounut freebies. ngc3

Yonkers1

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:41:06 PM »
What are the ten most important things one needs to know about being over sixty?

You’ll eat less, and food will be less tasty, so you have to be more deliberate in what you eat, especially protein.
Your teeth will probably go to hell. Be ready cosmetically and functionally.
You have to be more careful and deliberate about the daily physical activities you engage in, or in fact the way you carry yourself in mundane, daily activities.

What was once bruising could be a bone breaking. It’s a long and depressing process, but your body tells you how to adjust. You just aren’t 19 anymore. Accept it with resignation and dignity. Have fun, be active, but know your limits and forget what you thought about “old people” when you were younger. You were right, but now you’re one of them.

Your muscles will atrophy no matter what you do, but weight training will slow it down. You’ll be less strong, slower, and your skin will wrinkle and sag, and spots will show up on your face seemingly-suddenly, and nature will generally let you know that you’re in decline, and this realization will be rude, and you’ll rail against it.

Eventually, you must surrender. Or not. It depends on how you want to go out, but you’re going out.
In general, people are less interested in you and ignore you (outside of typical economic transactions, of course). You’re just another old fart unless you’re rich or in some way very charismatic.

In a way, you become invisible. But when they start calling you “sir” and open the door for you, accept it graciously. They mean well and are showing respect.
You come to really not care what others think of you since there’s no reward in pleasing them and they aren’t paying attention to you anyway. You seem to have no value to younger people, so do your thing.
Usually, nobody wants to know your history or hear about your memories. You become rather enclosed. You want to share or keep alive and honor all your experiences and the great value they have in your life, but nobody’s listening. Nobody cares, the world moves on in general, and you kind of understand the distance you had between you and older people when you were young. You don’t understand until it’s too late. So, you accept and forgive.

The hardest part for me is encapsulated in the famous line from the movie Blade Runner: “All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.” Think about it. It’s true. But I’m given to melancholy.
Related to #1 above, I find I don’t feel “thirsty” even if dehydrated. Again, you have to be rather deliberate and conscious of drinking enough fluids even if you don’t particularly want to. I find this weird, but it seems true.
As to sex and libido in general, this varies. I find the idea of “passion” for anything attenuated — sex, cooking, eating, hiking, camping, fishing, my other old hobbies, outdoor activities, Christmas, whatever.

I took up skydiving and SCUBA diving and motorcycles late in life, and while I greatly enjoyed them, I should have started them when I was younger. Do that stuff if you can, but I wouldn’t expect them to be life-altering events nor paths for the future.
I honestly feel religious about this, that my proper activity is to learn to die in this world and be reborn in the spirit since, obviously, I’m ever-farther from the things of youth and ever-closer to bodily death.

It seems stupid, or ignorant, to try to hang on to what is already gone, and it seems equally stupid, or ignorant, to not face honestly what is to come.

“Do not go gentle into that good night . . . .” Dylan Thomas. This is good advice?

I prefer: “Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night, scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed by an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave, like one who wraps the drapery of his couch about him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.” William Cullen Bryant.
As others always say, I regret the undone more than the done. Forgive unconditionally yourself and others, and everyone, and everything. Say “Yes” to whatever is, or was, or will be. You’ve never controlled any of it, and you don’t know what any of it means. But it’s real.

when i think of what i could do as a young man....and what i can do now......it's tryely alarming

I got one more year till 60, good advice

Yonkers now the #1 track in the nation

Iceman

• Elite
  • CJ842591
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 10:13:56 PM »
I have always believed that the day we emerged from our Mothers bloody womb our life was already time stamped. I also have always gone forward and never looked back because when our maker decides it's time we rest for a long time. Age is just a natural progression, deal with it.

Fatboy

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 09:59:16 AM »
Don't waste emotions on it all. It really means nothing.
EGGNORE LIST EPIC FAIL

Fatboy

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »
If you suffer from fear of the unknown i.e. death, you are simply human, albiet a weak one.  Accept your destiny/fate (insert vernacular here...), as we all have one.
  Carl Sagan coined it well imo: Just a grain of sand in the cosmos that happened in an instant and vanished.  Accept it and laugh and live what life you have. Be thankful you are deteriorating vs dead already.
EGGNORE LIST EPIC FAIL

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 03:07:49 PM »
Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ.

Y'all need a jar of anti-depressants to pass around.

Fatboy

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 06:28:18 PM »
Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ.

Y'all need a jar of anti-depressants to pass around.

CANNABIS AMONGST SENIORS IS A GREAT BUY IN RIGHT NOW
STOCKS ARE SOARING
EGGNORE LIST EPIC FAIL

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Hitman: Middleton
    July 16, 2019, 08:03:43 PM
  • MagnaballGin: Good luck JOHN FRANK ARMY!
    July 13, 2019, 11:19:15 AM
  • Under The STick: It's almost PACE DAY!!!
    July 12, 2019, 04:54:53 PM
  • bigwrench: In the good ol summer time
    July 09, 2019, 03:19:23 PM
  • scu77: grand swan
    July 05, 2019, 01:18:18 PM
  • MagnaballGin: Happy 4th of July!
    July 04, 2019, 11:17:04 AM
  • Fatboy: thanx
    July 03, 2019, 09:20:27 PM
  • bigwrench: Thanks FB ..the money order is in the mail
    July 03, 2019, 09:18:12 PM