Author Topic: humor me..WORST WIN PHOTO EVER??? this aft at..  (Read 906 times)

Noor

• Top Claimer
Re: humor me..WORST WIN PHOTO EVER??? this aft at..
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 09:25:59 PM »
YOU CANNOT change the angle unless you physically moved the camera. Anyone who ever organized photo finish presentations can and does leave off the vertical MOBILE reference line of the wire...

Where in the world do you folks get these crazy factless based ideas?

Noor

• Top Claimer
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 09:28:38 PM »
...the tech downloading the pic can do whatever he wants before the stewards see it.

complete nonsense....They start requesting the shot as soon as you clear the last horse. I wouldn't know how to alter if IF I COULD.

Another in a long line of fantasyland ideas wallowing in zero facts.

spaheaven

• Jr. Open
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »
Dude, photos can be changed in microseconds, and bets can be changed after the race is over...remember the pick 6 at the BC?  Computer techs changing bets post race...it can happen.

Noor

• Top Claimer
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »
dogma gets ingrained into the folklore in spite of the realities.....One can only quote the facts of the matter so many times..

Noor

• Top Claimer
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2018, 10:46:58 AM »
Dude, photos can be changed in microseconds, .it can happen.

I would be very interesting on learning just how. The image is in a closed system among the 1) photofinish computer, 2) the screen display only in the placing judges/stewards office (after it is copied to two backup sources) it goes to 3) the television studio for viewing by the crowd. There are no connections to any other computers until after the image has been composed and okayed by the stewards.

YOU seem to have NO idea on what it takes to edit pixels on a digital photo either. Unless very very well done, editing leaves tell tale evidence....Also, there just is not enough time between the scan and the stewards reading out the order of finish.

The original scan of the entire race (have to pick up the stragglers which with the standardbreds can be 35 lengths behind the last place horse after they break stride). as a strip, is placed on the stewards screen (it is not captured by any computer in their office) the second it has cleared (they are chomping on the bit too even when they know the very last horse after breaking, is going to take time to clear).

The strip just shows the horses in their relative positions to one another. The placement line is brought in as a graphic for close finishes. It is perpendicular to the scan and is moved into a point that it just touches the nose. The stewards/placing judges call out the order of finish as I show them the entire length of the scan. Before they sign off on it, they tell me IF a photo is to be prepared for the crowd.

You then go back create the photo, have it okayed by the stewards, before it goes back to the TV people.

The photo is usually much larger a blow up than the scan.....Graphics are ovelaid for the placing, the date, the track name then the placing line is brought it over the nose of the horse instructed (often if three horses were close at the wire, they would place it over the 2nd nose as to split the other two for viewing). A screen capture is made (copied) and that image is then sent to the television studio (who bug you all the time as well particularly when you have two photos).

Now you go through the scan one last time, and put the placing line subsequently over each nose front to rear and enter that number (saddle cloth) into the computer. This calculates, based upon a formula and the photo) the calculated beaten lenghts. That data is then given to the chart people to be added to the chart (We used to laugh at how inaccurate the Trakus data was to the photo which was off more and more the further back on got in the scan).

No time, double and triple checks, back up data .........your supposed shenanigans just does not hold water to the reality of what really happens with photos.

hen I was first learning, I used to compare other tracks photos and critique them.One of the major problems is wrong scan rate, The camera is set to a speed that captures horse without distortion. An easy way to see distortion is to look at the wheels of the sulkies. If they are top to bottom oval (a lot of Yonkers are like this) and the horses look foreshortened, the scan rate is too fast. If the wheels look flat and oval, it is too slow.  Suffolk's are too green and Turf Paradise too red...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 10:51:40 AM by Noor »

Noor

• Top Claimer
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »
Photos really get confusing when you get a brown horse's nose against a brown track behind it. You have to yank up the contrast all the way and hope for some identifying differences.

Another situation is in the rain when the mirror gets fogged up and you only can see the shot from one side. Many tracks now (Arlington started this) have reverse angle cameras taking shots from the infield out into the grandstands). Fog, by itself, canceled a few races over the years because there were no reliable images even with contrast manipulations of the image.

When two horses are very close at the wire, and one is coming out of a stride while the other is going into one, it is hard to convince people not associated with the technology that the horse coming OUT of the stride often still had their nose in front even though the body language look like they are moving back.

Many times a hoof or tongue is ahead of another at the wire but only the tip of hte nose counts.

Digital photography is quick, effective and accurate TO A POINT. Unless your camera is a newer one, once you blow the image up over 275% the image begins to pixelate (become an irregular group of "boxes" piled upon one another) and it becomes progressively more difficult to differentiate noses.

Fatboy

• Elite
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
HE WON BY A BLADE OF GRASS WHEN LINE DONT WORK
EGGNORE LIST EPIC FAIL

spaheaven

• Jr. Open
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 08:31:07 PM »
The line doesnt even exist anymore, it must be added after the pic, if that doesnt concern anybody, it should.

Noor

• Top Claimer
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 12:18:22 AM »
The line doesnt even exist anymore, it must be added after the pic, if that doesnt concern anybody, it should.

The LINE has always been extracorporeal to the entire business. When strip film was used, the wet mount was put in a magnifier and shown (usually through a hole in the ceiling over the stewards.) This wet mount (ever use 35 mm film? it is not very large) was shown to them directly after it came out of the fixer solution and dripped though the magnifier down to their office, hence some stewards still refer to the entire strip as a "splash down." This strip was placed in a holder (like the T square) and advanced until all noses, in order, just touched the wire that was drawn across the holder. Because the enlargements were at high magnifications, the small wire translated as quite thick usually...hence the ability of two closely associated noses to be called a DEAD HEAT since the thick line could overwhelm small differences positionally.

Ever take drafting in school and use a T square? The frame of the computer screen (the scan would be the top of the T, and on a sliding scale). The mobile reference line would have ONLY a medial lateral movement directly perpendicular to the axis of the scan. There are no controls to bend, it angle it, widen or narrow it..It simply slides until it hits the tip of a nose. In the manual that line is referred to as the hairline because this camera is used in many sports (track and field. swimming, speed skating, etc etc)

The manual is here http://www.finishlynx.com/download/finishlynx-documentation/finishlynx-manuals/finishlynx_version_4.pdf

Again it is quite obvious you have never gone up to the photo both and observed how all of this is done and how RAPIDLY it must be discerned.

Noor

• Top Claimer
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 12:19:13 AM »
HE WON BY A BLADE OF GRASS WHEN LINE DONT WORK

that has NEVER happened not once...The hairline, as the manual call it, always works

Iceman

• Stakes Horse
  • CJ842591
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2018, 07:50:19 AM »
jc toronto starts this thread and Noor gives a logical answer which makes absolute sense. jc toronto seems all is good by noor's answer and I read what noor explained and figure the thread will be done. Not so fast now we get Fatboy, Spaheaven chiming in with their fucked up thoughts and the thread is still going. Fatboy and Spaheaven let it go, face it you know nothing about how the camera works and you two are telling all what asses you two are.

Fatboy

• Elite
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »
jc toronto starts this thread and Noor gives a logical answer which makes absolute sense. jc toronto seems all is good by noor's answer and I read what noor explained and figure the thread will be done. Not so fast now we get Fatboy, Spaheaven chiming in with their fucked up thoughts and the thread is still going. Fatboy and Spaheaven let it go, face it you know nothing about how the camera works and you two are telling all what asses you two are.

WHO CARES ABOUT A CAMERA? YOU LOSE BY A NOSE WHEN I DONT EVEN BET 73cv.2
EGGNORE LIST EPIC FAIL

Iceman

• Stakes Horse
  • CJ842591
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2018, 05:08:41 PM »
Have another burger

Noor

• Top Claimer
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2018, 08:38:25 PM »
WHO CARES ABOUT A CAMERA? YOU LOSE BY A NOSE WHEN I DONT EVEN BET
At one time I was complacently ignorant of the variables behind that camera. Once having worked it for almost 9 years,my perspective changed.

i can't imagine doing things the old way with strip film having to develop it so quickly...

The original photo finish camera was an invention of Lorenzo Del Riccio, a Paramount Pictures motion picture engineer who improved the circular flow camera, a device which had been invented in the 1930s especially for the purpose of photographing moving objects, first used at Del Mar in the late 30's . That one used 35 mm film...

Fatboy

• Elite
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2019, 12:29:16 PM »
At one time I was complacently ignorant of the variables behind that camera. Once having worked it for almost 9 years,my perspective changed.

i can't imagine doing things the old way with strip film having to develop it so quickly...

The original photo finish camera was an invention of Lorenzo Del Riccio, a Paramount Pictures motion picture engineer who improved the circular flow camera, a device which had been invented in the 1930s especially for the purpose of photographing moving objects, first used at Del Mar in the late 30's . That one used 35 mm film...
  An interesting narrative on exactly how these things work, that is indeed appreciated. WONT STOP THE JOKES HOWEVER
EGGNORE LIST EPIC FAIL

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • bigwrench: Super trainer..the 3 stooges on the pre race show tried to imply,,,,She is not!!!!#
    March 23, 2019, 03:51:15 PM
  • bigwrench: Yeah with no lube Right up the. Old. LaBanza! Butt.,,,,,
    March 23, 2019, 03:47:30 PM
  • intheclubhouse: Cmon Wrench....U would do her!
    March 22, 2019, 09:46:12 PM
  • bigwrench: I turned the PigM off...didnt wamt to hear any more about that dumb bimbo Super Jennn! Give me a break!
    March 22, 2019, 07:28:47 PM
  • bigwrench: 73cv.2  ;D
    March 19, 2019, 01:49:45 PM
  • LUCPARK: stop it
    March 19, 2019, 01:32:04 PM
  • bigwrench: Luc is scratching your left nut truely considered geting pussy? I think not!!
    March 19, 2019, 01:13:14 PM
  • LUCPARK: lmfao
    March 18, 2019, 09:51:56 AM