Author Topic: USTA Once Again Wasting Time And Our Money  (Read 1219 times)

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Jr. Open
USTA Once Again Wasting Time And Our Money
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:08:38 PM »
Unless this microchip can detect EPO, synthetic morphine or whatever the fuck is being used, it just shows how out of touch the USTA is. Freeze branding was just fine. I haven't heard of any problems with identifying horses. I wonder how much of a kick back the USTA is getting on the scanners we will need in 2021. Just another example of why the USTA needs to be shut down.

http://ustrottingnews.com/usta-moves-into-the-microchip-era/

Equus Caballus

• Elite
  • How do 1/9 shots lose?
Re: USTA Once Again Wasting Time And Our Money
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 11:52:07 PM »
my only question is

can microchips be damaged?
what happens if they become damaged and need to be replaced?

caddy

• Jr. Open
  • FuzzNutz
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:16:57 AM »
Unless this microchip can detect EPO, synthetic morphine or whatever the fuck is being used, it just shows how out of touch the USTA is. Freeze branding was just fine. I haven't heard of any problems with identifying horses. I wonder how much of a kick back the USTA is getting on the scanners we will need in 2021. Just another example of why the USTA needs to be shut down.

http://ustrottingnews.com/usta-moves-into-the-microchip-era/

I believe that this is a slip on priorities.  HOWEVER !!  this really is a more advanced techno way of identifying and, I think that it allows for a lot more info. than just ownership.  i think the vet medications, etc. are recorded on the horse chip -- whcih, just typing horse chip  instead of horse shit seems like it oughta be an improvement.

wiggles44

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 05:27:50 AM »
Burger King kids meal
includes one free toy

11.tfk

Parked

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:49:03 AM »
The way I read it, the fee is included in the registration. So it is paid by the breeder. if you are racing an older horse then the owner will have to pay but that will take care of itself in a few years..   The trainer/owner buys a scanner for $70.00 and can take the horses temp quickly which is a big plus for me as an owner. Vets can use this to positively identify the horses they are working on.  Looks like a good idea to me. 

Equus Caballus

• Elite
  • How do 1/9 shots lose?
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 09:03:56 AM »
The way I read it, the fee is included in the registration. So it is paid by the breeder. if you are racing an older horse then the owner will have to pay but that will take care of itself in a few years..   The trainer/owner buys a scanner for $70.00 and can take the horses temp quickly which is a big plus for me as an owner. Vets can use this to positively identify the horses they are working on.  Looks like a good idea to me.

Scanner is 380 bucks

Chips are like 10 bucks a pop

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Jr. Open
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:05:00 AM »
My 15.00 digital thermometer takes horse's temp in less than 10 seconds. What about turn out farms. Now every farm is also going to need a scanner. Also, read about all the malfunctions happening with dog and cats chips. Same technology. My point once again for people that can actually read is that this should have been way down on their list of things to do. Why are they wasting time on unnecessary needs when they have a drug problem threatening to bring down the sport. All money and manpower should be aimed at correcting that. Like I said, I haven't heard of any issues identifying horses.

Parked

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 05:43:52 PM »
Scanner is 380 bucks

Chips are like 10 bucks a pop

Read article. Bluetooth scanner $279, standard $69
Walk by horse and zap. There is its temp.  Iíll buy the scanner and put it in my horses trunk.. 

Equus Caballus

• Elite
  • How do 1/9 shots lose?
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 07:29:59 PM »
Read article. Bluetooth scanner $279, standard $69
Walk by horse and zap. There is its temp.  Iíll buy the scanner and put it in my horses trunk..

Thatís a special price
From USTA

One for dogs which is same thing is 380

Fatboy

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 07:41:33 PM »
Thatís a special price
From USTA

One for dogs which is same thing is 380

THE ONE FOR FAT GUYS IS 700
EGGNORE LIST EPIC FAIL

John Esposito

• Stakes Horse
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:30:45 AM by John Esposito »

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Jr. Open
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 08:21:40 AM »
Never had a problem with freeze brand. Now without one, if you don't have a scanner handy, you cant ID a horse but that is exactly what the USTA wants.They are going to make a nice profit for something not needed. I can't wait until someone starts hacking into these chips and changing identities or horses being scratched because chip malfunctions and they have no way of identifying. Trust me, it will be a cluster fuck at some point.

bond

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 10:01:47 AM »
Never had a problem with freeze brand. Now without one, if you don't have a scanner handy, you cant ID a horse but that is exactly what the USTA wants.They are going to make a nice profit for something not needed. I can't wait until someone starts hacking into these chips and changing identities or horses being scratched because chip malfunctions and they have no way of identifying. Trust me, it will be a cluster fuck at some point.

Mike-I can see why you have concerns-but I can tell you that where the chips are being used in Europe and down under its been a huge success.
At the track for example you can scan the horses as they walk past you-and in the barn take all horses temp in seconds without having to insert a thermometer.You dont HAVE to buy the scanner-but the convenience of taking temps outweighs the cost-however if you prefer to stick thermometers up horses butts for the rest of your life and save 80$-nothing stopping you.
Dont forget the USTA has your horses DNA-so trying to change the chip itself if you are trying to enter a "ring in"-- useless-and they very rarely fail from what I have read.
Im looking forward to the new tech for 2019. tmbz1

caddy

• Jr. Open
  • FuzzNutz
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 10:29:51 AM »
Mike-I can see why you have concerns-but I can tell you that where the chips are being used in Europe and down under its been a huge success.
At the track for example you can scan the horses as they walk past you-and in the barn take all horses temp in seconds without having to insert a thermometer.You dont HAVE to buy the scanner-but the convenience of taking temps outweighs the cost-however if you prefer to stick thermometers up horses butts for the rest of your life and save 80$-nothing stopping you.
Dont forget the USTA has your horses DNA-so trying to change the chip itself if you are trying to enter a "ring in"-- useless-and they very rarely fail from what I have read.
Im looking forward to the new tech for 2019. tmbz1

I could be mistaken ? sure as hell would not be the first time <>  BUT, i think more than aversion to the chip ID metholdoly - and, having to chip all of the horses, etc. - to a questionable big benefit.  well, i think Mike's larger point is thatwhy is USTA messin' around w/ this issue while ignoring what is to the broader racing community, a far more inncidental problem than developing a sophisticated, techno way to get the doggone cheaters out of the barns.     AND !!!! then keeping them out.  Tackle problems in order of priority.  And, to that regard ~ I'll bet there are a majority that can agree. 

Atthetrack7

• Jr. Open
  • Face it, I know more than you
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 10:48:25 AM »
When are the dumb, stuck in the 1970's horsefucks going to realize it is not the usta's  job to patrol the sport for cheaters, never has been. That job falls upon state racing commissions.
  The usta's job is to register the breed and keep records and the new chip is the way to computerize the system as opposed to the old pencil and paper system.  A huge step forward

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • wilso236: Henry Wilson
    December 10, 2018, 09:36:33 PM
  • bigwrench: alex did you know garys wife likes it in the back door?  :1
    December 07, 2018, 09:52:41 PM
  • 2minuteman: Ken iulo
    December 03, 2018, 01:52:34 PM
  • Alex: YOU OUGHT TO SEE THE THREATENING PM'S HE SENT ME, SAYING HIS WIFE MENTIONED MY NAME DURING SEX
    December 03, 2018, 08:11:58 AM
  • Fatboy: theoldrainman next
    December 02, 2018, 09:29:13 PM
  • bigwrench: Arcadia fluff n buff got set in the corner! Now he will have more time to polish his Participation trophys!
    December 02, 2018, 09:05:37 PM
  • Fatboy: what happened to Gawry? LOL
    December 02, 2018, 07:42:35 PM
  • bigwrench: Sha nna na hey na na na na hey hey hey good bye Wittle Gawry!!  73cv.2
    December 02, 2018, 12:00:40 PM