Author Topic: Meadowlands: Saturday, April 21  (Read 3394 times)

harnessmaven

• NW-1
Meadowlands: Saturday, April 21
« on: April 21, 2018, 03:36:27 PM »
Race One:  The Whata Baron Final

2 WINDSONG LEO gets my nod in this short field, yet highly-competitive race.  This Ron Burke-trainee just missed running down Barimah A last week.  This gelding has been razor-sharp.  He draws an inside post.  He has the services of Jim Marohn, Jr.  I believe this guy should be in an excellent position to close into a race that’s filled with speedy types.  I look for this Jenna’s Beach Boy-bred to mount a blistering stretch drive.  4 Phoenix Warrior N cannot be ignored.  He returned last week to The Meadows and mounted a late-closing brush that put him in the winner’s circle.  Will he or won’t he?  Go to the top, that is.  As Meadowlands oddsmaker and handicapper Dave Brower cited, “Here’s the key to the race!”  5 Barimah A has been sharp as a tack.  He has the services of “The Orange Crush,” Andy Miller, and the training skills of Scott DiDomenico (as George Gershwin might have said, “Who Can Ask For Anything More?”).  Yet, here’s my major concern: There’s a potential speed-duel to that first panel.  If so, will that take any of the starch out of this guy?  Still, a threat.  Finally, 6 Hug The Wind N, this “Kiwi” invader’s pilot, “The Thunder from Down Under,” Andy McCarthy, has, in my opinion a big decision to make.  If he leaves, he risks “getting gassed” in his charge to that 1st quarter; yet, if he lays back, he must pick up “live cover” and get “towed” into position for his stretch run.   Ross “The Crocodile Man” Croghan is this horse’s conditioner.

Race Two:

3 SLIPIN SKIP.  That was some mile.  I repeat…”that was some mile” this guy reeled off last week.  You’d think we were at the Bonneville Flats in Utah.  Don’t blink!  If this well-bred 4-year old reprises last week’s effort, he should cruise under the wire.  “The Kentucky Wildcat,” Corey Callahan, is back in the sulky.  Kyle Moore trains.  If you’re looking elsewhere, 8 Rock On Line is a handy kinda horse who can either charge to the front (he did that in early March from his outside post) or sit back and then mount a late-closing drive.  What Jim Marohn, Jr. decides to do will have an impact on this fella’s chances, and, for that matter, the outcome of this race. 6 Odds on Delray put together a solid qualifier that portends well for this guy’s chances to grace “The Big M’s” infield tote.  He may, quite frankly, need a tightener or two, but I believe he’s heading in the right direction.  Andy McCarthy is in the bike for trainer Tony Alagna.  4 Yo Apollo Creed (“Yo Adrian”) is a board-hitting type who might just enhance an exotic wager.  The pride of Cuyahoga Falls, OH, Jim Pantaleono, is in the sulky for trainer Bob Siegelman.

Race Three:

3 WHEELS ON FIRE gets my tepid nod in what perceive as a wide-open race.  Yet, having said that, this guy was starting to “make some noise” at the end of his 2-year old racing season.  He’s now a 3-year old.  That can “make all the difference in the world”.  This Somebeachsomewher e’s recent qualifier may have been “an acclimator”?  I expect more.  Bigger and better things.  The potential exists.  Is he ready?  Oh, it’s 1st time Lasix; that catches my attention.  Victor Kirby handles the lines for trainer Ron Burke. Nuff Ced!  Others: 1 American Vision faced some pretty tough customers as a 2-year old.  He draws the rail.  He has the driving skills of Andy Miller and the training ability of Nifty Norman.  He now makes the “jump” from 2-year old to 3-year old.  He may well be the controlling speed.  Can’t be ignored.  In his last, 4 True Cut shaved about three seconds off his Rosecroft Raceway time of a fortnight earlier.  He went off at nearly 100-1 in that one; he finished 3rd.  He seems to be heading in the right direction. 5 When I See You is my longshot try to add value to your ticket.  Yes, he hasn’t shown much, but I’m partial to “Kiwi” invaders. “The Captain,” Corey Callahan, is in the bike for trainer Ross Croghan.

Race Four:

4 ROCKEYED OPTIMIST.  Boy, do I feel old.  I saw “South Pacific” (Ezio Pinza and Mary Martin) with my parents in Boston.  Only the song in that musical was: “Cockeyed Optimist”.  Anyway.  This guy’s been “on holiday” for quite some time; yet, it appears that he hasn’t missed a beat.  Wasn’t that recent qualifier something else?  You know this fella’s gonna improve off that effort.  The final panel came in a blazing :25.4.  He should be in a good striking position.  You know there’s going to be early speed.  Can he close?  Will he close?  I think so…with a rush!  Jim Pantaleano handles the lines for trainer Jake Leamon.  Others: 6 Western Joe has been razor-sharp.  He threw in a clunker in his last at Yonkers; yet when you start from the outside (that first turn at the “Ol’ Hilltop” comes up very sharply, you’ve got to be as quick as a prestidigatator, or at least Ringed Eyed Pete at Vernon Downs). He’s now back across the Hudson in East Rutherford where “the big mile” is more suited to his running style.  5 Awesomeness just got nipped in Philadelphia after nearly carrying his speed to the wire.  This guy’s been sharp.  He has the services of Jim Marohn, Jr. and trainer Brett Pelling.  2 Bettor’s Edge is another sharp horse who finished 3rd-a length in his last at Pocono.  The guy can’t be ignored.  Andy Miller for the part-owner/trainer, Jennifer Lappe.

Race Five:

2 CALIFORNIA CRUISIN.  Ahoy, Mate!  It’s the “Aussie Connection”: Driver Andy McCarthy and Trainer Ross Croghan (this is better than “shrimp on the barbie”).  This fella may have been a wee bit short in his last.  His last race should have tightened him up sufficiently enough to allow him prevail this evening.  This Somebeachsomewher e-bred bay colt looks ready to record his first win of the 2018 season.  He runs evenly.  The starting post is perfect for this guy to launch a closing bid.  My only caveat: I wouldn’t expect much in return.  Others: 3 Go West Go Fast is another 3-year old making his 2018 debut.  His qualifier is good; he should improve off of that.  Jim Marohn, Jr. is in the bike for trainer Ron Burke.  7 Long Beach is going to have to overcome his outside post.  Yet if anyone can do it, it’s “The Orange Crush,” Andy Miller.  Mark Silva trains. 4 Pop’s Romeo was my longshot bid last week; he finished 4th.  I still believe he can compete at this level.  A win might be a reach, but to be part of a gimmick…  Yes, I believe he could enhance a ticket. 

Race Six: The Burning Point Final

2 APPLE BOTTOM JEANS has been very sharp.  She’s taken two preliminary legs of “The Burning Point”.  I see no reason why this gal can’t capture the final.  Victor Kirby’s in the bike for trainer Kevin Switzer.  Others: 4 Windsun Glory is another sharp gal who appears to be the main competition for the top choice.  She just got nosed out in her last.  Andy McCarthy handles the reins for trainer Ron Burke.  1 Stormtracker is another young lady who bears watching.  The rail helps.  Kyle Husted is in the sulky for trainer Linda Toscano.  Finally, I’ll toss out two other names: 3 Princess Fabulosa ran a solid race in her last.  If the speed ties up, this gal can make things interesting.  “Smitty,” Steve Smith, handles the lines  for trainer Mark Silva.  The other possibility (although the post may be difficult to overcome) is 7 Kiss Me Onthebeach.  Andy Miller drives for his wife, trainer Julie Miller. 

Race Seven:

3 DEERFIELD BEACH didn’t miss a beat by winning his last against softer after a one-month layoff.  In his current form, despite the class hike, he should be able to prevail.  Driver Andy McCarthy reprises the ride for trainer Nifty Norman.  Others: 1 Santiago Style draws the rail and picks up the services of Jim Pantaleono.  This guy has the kind of tactical speed that could put him in a solid closing spot.  Bob Bongiorno trains.  2 JoJo Jove had a tough outside starting post in his last.  He now draws inside; that opens up a whole bunch of possibilities.  “The Captain,” Corey Callahan, reprises the drive for trainer Joe Cordisco.  6 Quality Bud.  If this race collapses up front, the guy then becomes capable of springing the upset.  He’s certainly most usable in your gimmick plays.  Mike Simons is in the sulky for trainer Carl Tirella.

Race Eight:

6 DRUNK ON YOUR LOVE ships in from Pocono where he ran a solid race against tough customers.  Although the #6 post is not his ideal spot, I still believe he can prevail if “The Captain,” Corey Callahan, can work out the trip.  Mark Ford trains this Western Hanover bred.  Others: 1 FrankandJoanne has drawn some terrible starting posts.  He now draws inside; that gives him a solid chance to be most competitive here.  His 1:55.3 at Freehold’s ½ mile oval gives me every reason to believe that this guy possesses the speed to prevail with this bunch.  Jim Pantaleono for trainer Dawn Anderson.  3 Art History blazed his way to an opening quarter in 26.3, yet he stayed on well to finish 4th only a length and one-half behind the winner.  If this fella can get to the lead without too much exertion, he becomes “a player”.  Finally, 4 Dynamite Dude A gave a good account of himself in a recent race at Yonkers.  If this guy can maintain his solid form, he can be a factor with these. 

Race Nine:

2 SOHO WALLSTREET A finished 3rd a neck in his last.  This guy came flying home in the stretch in his last only to come up just short.  He was 18-1 in his last.  I wouldn’t expect anything approximating those odds here.  Still, although I’m picking him, this is no cakewalk.  “The Aussie Connection,” (Good Day, Mate) Andy Mac and Ross Croghan, “The Crocodile Man,” join forces to see if they can have their charge, this Four Starzzz Shark-bred, get his picture taken in the winner’s circle.  Others: 7 Sweet Rock should be coming off the tailgate.  If the speed ties up on the front end, look for this guy to mount a closing charge that could put him in the winner’s circle.  Victor Kirby is in the seat for trainer Wayne Givins.  6 Emeritus Maximus may have needed that last start.  Now, with one under his belt, we may well see a better performance.  This guy has loads of back-class.  Corey Callahan in the sulky for trainer Kyle Moore.  5 Cowboy Terrier won his last in filly.  He fits in this field.  I don’t see him as a win choice, but to complete a gimmick… Jim Pantaleono for Ron Burke.

Race Ten:

9 BRUCE’S MAGIC is dropping in company.  “It ain’t necessarily so…” that that fact equates with a trip to the winner’s circle, but this guy does have the times – with the right trip – to prevail.  It would appear that he needs to leave (there ain’t much front speed in this race) to have any kinda chance of getting his picture taken.  If he leaves and clears, he immediately becomes “a player”.  Those are big “Ifs”.  Jim Pantaleono is in the sulky for trainer Bruce Lauer.  Others: 6 Danishdujour fits well in this company. He was 2nd last time after a grinding overland trip.  Kyle Husted reprises for trainer Chris Scicluna.  5 Wynberg Courage N has graced the winner’s circle at Yonkers, but he’s given a good account of himself.  It wouldn’t take much for this guy to be right in the thick of things. 2 Brigadierbronski A.  Fern Paquet drives for Agostino Abbatiello.   I like Aussie shippers.  It’s the “Down Under” crew of driver Andy McCarthy and trainer/owner Tahnee Camilleri.  The qualifier was decent.  It wouldn’t be a total surprise if this guy popped.

Rabbi Of Racing

Re: Meadowlands: Saturday, April 21
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »
thank you

Equus Caballus

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 04:05:11 PM »
Nice pick in race 7! tmbz1

EPM

• Elite
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 04:16:05 PM »
Little Hoosier for primer.
R2 4/9/8/3
R4 6/5/10/2/4

Rabbi Of Racing

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 07:30:57 PM »
Jim forgot to pull in the first,NO EXCUSES ACCEPTED!!

1forthethumb

• Top Claimer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:14:30 AM »
WTF I pull up to the entrance to watch harness racing and see a shitload of traffic heading to the parking lot. I ask the attendant what's up with the traffic?  He said there's a circus going on tonite under a tent
I later found out its a show with men wearing tights swinging from ropes This place is dead to me!

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 09:17:09 AM »
EYE DOCTOR CONVENTION IN TOWN

,,MEN WEARIN TIGHTS A MUST ngc3 ngc3
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

John Esposito

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 09:38:42 AM »

A HUGE Gural rip off..... pay $ 20 to park in a distant lot a then ride like stuffed cattle in a shuttle bus to the "big top" where for a minimum of $55 and up you see a traveling circus from nose bleed seats and then ride the cattle shuttle back..... how's that for "valet" parking..... Awesome to pay that much for parking and a "show" all to help slow the Gural landslide losses. By the way... the juvenile delinquents were partying in Victory once again last night..... harness racing took the third seat once again.

ANOTHER PLOPSTER  {HELP} POSTED THIS IN FRIDAYS MEDS THREAD...

Parking During Volta: Those heading to the Big M for live racing need to be aware of what to do when they arrive at the track to avoid a $20 parking fee, which is for those attending the Cirque Du Soleil Volta show. Volta will have performances on the same nights as live racing through Saturday (May 5).

When track patrons arrive, they should stay to the right-hand side of the toll plaza to avoid the $20 fee.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: If Joe is so concerned about Katlen Clarks salary, why dont he buy a ticket for an WNBA game?
    April 18, 2024, 06:23:45 PM
  • Calhoun: Meadowlands just sent me email .. there's a P-8 Carryover ... $1,800 ... That changes everything ngc3
    April 18, 2024, 04:53:05 PM
  • Calhoun: Kirby crossed the Delaware before George Washington to make sure it was safe.  True story 100%
    April 18, 2024, 02:39:12 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Kirby's Ace the most trusted individual in harness racing... at least in his mind. ngc3
    April 18, 2024, 09:32:43 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Only loose ends are the entrails of Delaware residents.
    April 18, 2024, 09:27:22 AM
  • Kirby's Ace: Hopefully Admon is cleaning up loose ands and you know what that means!
    April 17, 2024, 11:26:37 PM
  • Unclejerry: COCK-A-DODDLE-DO is the rooster in a pile of PLOP
    April 17, 2024, 11:11:47 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Was that a trick question?
    April 16, 2024, 08:37:43 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal