Author Topic: It must be killing...  (Read 8348 times)

Trottin Man

• Top Claimer
It must be killing...
« on: April 13, 2018, 09:41:14 AM »
The old guard Trainers and Drivers at the Woodbine-Mohawk Circuit that a frog Louis Philippe Roy is tons the best! He's driving circles around the local driving colony there. Wonder how he would do against American's top drivers? Remember, the best ever (John Campbell) was a Canadian.

GrandcircuitGuru

• NW-1
Re: It must be killing...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:36:22 AM »
Why would it be killing anyone...? Drivers come and go, he's just the current flavor of the month. I'm not saying he doesn't have any talent, he obviously does, but let's be honest, getting first call on Moreau's horses can make anyone look good. It was the same when Campbell ruled the Meadowlands, when you have your choice of 25 horses a night, success comes. Can he keep it going...? Only time will tell. Anyone remember 5 years ago when Billy Davis Jr. was driving for Bill Robinson and Corey Johnson, power driving everything and winning 3-4 every night...? Barely gets a handful of drives a week now.

Trottin Man

• Top Claimer
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
The reason I bring up the animosity toward Roy, is because in the good old days, I remember how the old guard hated Herve Fillion, when he used to come down from Blue Bonnetts, and win races at Woodbine-Mohawk. I should know, I was there!

Trottin Man

• Top Claimer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »
Come to think of it, Woodbine wasn't open yet, it was Greenwood-Mohawk- Garden City. Time to go in the basement and check some old programs...more to come!

slimshady

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:34:23 AM »
Before labeling a driver as great, they need to make non favourites better and deliver success out of any barn they drive for.  Shit, a monkey could have a good win % driving Moreau and Tessier horses right now. 

mtnskipper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:08:43 AM »
i remember when drunken duncan mactavish, r. barrieu and a filion or two would invade foxboro raceway in the summer. not sure why they came down unless there wasn't a summer meet up there but the local guys didn't like it when they brought horses like st. james st or marcel dostie brought gerry mir down to win all the open handicaps.

Shadow Wave

• Top Claimer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 11:20:29 AM »
The old guard Trainers and Drivers at the Woodbine-Mohawk Circuit that a frog Louis Philippe Roy is tons the best! He's driving circles around the local driving colony there. Wonder how he would do against American's top drivers? Remember, the best ever (John Campbell) was a Canadian.

While it's hard not to agree that Campbell was the best, he and Always Be Mickey had the same Kryptonite, 1/2 mile tracks.

Duke

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 01:17:06 PM »
Come to think of it, Woodbine wasn't open yet, it was Greenwood-Mohawk- Garden City. Time to go in the basement and check some old programs...more to come!
MONTREAL WOULD SHUT DOWN FOR AUGUST every year and the frogs would come to Greenwood  but if I remember well Filion was in NY at the time.
Very interesting racing when that happened.

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 01:32:02 PM »
While it's hard not to agree that Campbell was the best, he and Always Be Mickey had the same Kryptonite, 1/2 mile tracks.

I am not to sure I would say John Campbell had a tough time with 1/2 mile track. In the late 1970's, when Campbell came to Roosevelt Raceway, where many of the top 1/2 mile drivers in the  business still at it, he did very well. He was only 21 or 22 yes. old at the time.

Shadow Wave

• Top Claimer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 12:04:43 PM »

Everybody at one time or another puts on a clinic.  Match the Best horse with a Great driver and you have the making of a Clinic.  I wonder what would happen if before the race, in the paddock, all the named drivers for a given race had to draw pills for the horse they would drive instead of being spoon fed top horses and inside posts?  For many years in 60s-80's, smart trainers used the so so called great drivers to their advantage to use those 3/5 shots and then get 5-6 to 1 on their horse with Eddie Cobb up for instance. 

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »
the good ole days
Campbell on a 1/2 , life sign in the jug, enough said
as for l roy as I said weeks ago he is destroying them at woodbine/Mohawk
yes it helps to have moreau horses but he gets others as well
mcnair is really the only guy  that can compete with him and ceretainly willl as the stakes season progresses( henry is ok as well)
it just shows how bad some of the other drivers are/were
whatever happened with filion and moreau , moreau needed a new driver and he picked l roy not one of the other regulars that had been there for years
as for going to the stares, relax, the guy was driving in quebec on the summer circuit 2 years ago

eyeinthesky

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 02:55:51 PM »
An update for........Trotti n Man   and Iceman

JeanLouis Levesque owned Blue Bonnets and a lot of thorobreds
He thought runners would catch on big in MOntreal......so he closed Blue Bonnets  for 2 summers in the early summers.
Some good honest small time stables shipped in horses from Toronto..where they couldn't compete
To fill the cards..they let anybody...from the States....Al Coy , Dave Dennie , trainer Pete Miller, JOhn and Mary Bacon
.........the smart money got rich.........the handle was pretty good..but all kinds of problems with racing papers, horse tatoos, licenses,
They put  on a good show...for the fans.........but it didn't attract the good people they had hoped for

McTavish(s) and Gendron went to Saratoga......Bed ard and and a few others tried Foxboro

Iceman...if you worked for Keith.......who was in charge when you were there..Ron Waples , Strauss, or Barry Drury

The best "worker" Keith had...was Doc Gauthier...he could get them right...with Keith's guidance.......he was a vet who loved to bet !
Those were good years in Montreal

Shadow Wave

• Top Claimer
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 03:29:09 PM »
the good ole days
Campbell on a 1/2 , life sign in the jug, enough said
as for l roy as I said weeks ago he is destroying them at woodbine/Mohawk
yes it helps to have moreau horses but he gets others as well
mcnair is really the only guy  that can compete with him and ceretainly willl as the stakes season progresses( henry is ok as well)
it just shows how bad some of the other drivers are/were
whatever happened with filion and moreau , moreau needed a new driver and he picked l roy not one of the other regulars that had been there for years
as for going to the stares, relax, the guy was driving in quebec on the summer circuit 2 years ago

By the flavor of your post, I think you think this shit is for real.  It's actually a John Cena-Big Show argument at the present time.  Harness Racing is entertainment just like Wrasslin' and the NBA.  In Wrasslin' they use steroids, harness racing is chemistry based.  Watch Yonkers for as long as you can which should be about three races and try to tell me it's even entertaining.  Switch to Pocono and watch one of Allard's addicts fire around the race track, hung out for the better part of it and then want to go another 1/2 mile right up on the muscle.  Burke's horses always find a second wind.  Then you would probably ask why I come on here?  It's to listen to all the comments.  Some are amusing, some are comical, and some some are pure bullshit just like harness racing.

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »
to the contrary shadow wave
 I don't watch near as much as I used to and I don't bet  anymore
to your point I find most of the races boring which I guess is to be expected if you are not wagering on them
however one thing is true and that is whoever wins gets the cake and right now moreau and roy are cleaning everybodys plate , real or otherwise 
before 9/11  the jug was awesome , bring your own beer in , set up some chairs or scaffolding and  have a party

Shadow Wave

• Top Claimer
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »
to the contrary shadow wave
 I don't watch near as much as I used to and I don't bet  anymore
to your point I find most of the races boring which I guess is to be expected if you are not wagering on them
however one thing is true and that is whoever wins gets the cake and right now moreau and roy are cleaning everybodys plate , real or otherwise 
before 9/11  the jug was awesome , bring your own beer in , set up some chairs or scaffolding and  have a party

Everything you just said is 100% true.  Been to Delaware many times. I lived on the Island 10 min. from Roosevelt.  Had a very good stable in the 60's thru 80's. Saw Secretariat win the Belmont and I saw a great horse named Bret Hanover in some of his biggest races on his way to becoming the only 4 time Horse of the Year.  Those were great times and that is why I still love this game and like you, I would rather bet on a Roller Derby game.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: If Joe is so concerned about Katlen Clarks salary, why dont he buy a ticket for an WNBA game?
    April 18, 2024, 06:23:45 PM
  • Calhoun: Meadowlands just sent me email .. there's a P-8 Carryover ... $1,800 ... That changes everything ngc3
    April 18, 2024, 04:53:05 PM
  • Calhoun: Kirby crossed the Delaware before George Washington to make sure it was safe.  True story 100%
    April 18, 2024, 02:39:12 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Kirby's Ace the most trusted individual in harness racing... at least in his mind. ngc3
    April 18, 2024, 09:32:43 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Only loose ends are the entrails of Delaware residents.
    April 18, 2024, 09:27:22 AM
  • Kirby's Ace: Hopefully Admon is cleaning up loose ands and you know what that means!
    April 17, 2024, 11:26:37 PM
  • Unclejerry: COCK-A-DODDLE-DO is the rooster in a pile of PLOP
    April 17, 2024, 11:11:47 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Was that a trick question?
    April 16, 2024, 08:37:43 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal