HORSEPLOP.COM

General Category => Harness Racing => Topic started by: Laag on August 12, 2026, 07:09:01 PM

Title: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: Laag on August 12, 2026, 07:09:01 PM
What does everyone think?

Would be a travesty to take it away from the Mecca.

I get that Hoosier can probably do some extras and have parades and get locals involved but there is no way they can capture the big time feel and production the Meadowlands brings. Most importantly they wont be able to bring the handle
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: Horseman1994 on August 12, 2026, 07:39:27 PM
So who in your opinion should get to host the race then? It’s obvious the meadowlands are done or else why let the contract expire? I personally think the only place that has put in a bid to host it and is capable of hosting is Hoosier and that’s my home track but we’ve had the BC 3 times and did great all 3 times.
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: G on August 12, 2026, 07:55:08 PM
JC the president of the society told me they are doing everything possible to keep the Hambo at the Meaowlands
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: The Answer on August 12, 2026, 08:01:09 PM
Anywhere but Mohawk!
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: gurals casino on August 12, 2026, 08:12:36 PM
Anywhere but Mohawk!

I know it must be a two turn mile and I think it must be in the USA

that leaves Hoosier, Vernon, M1 , Springfield, DuQuoin Red Mile

Colonial would be a one turn mile if they converted to harness
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: JT on August 12, 2026, 08:13:55 PM
I know it must be a two turn mile and I think it must be in the USA

that leaves Hoosier, Vernon, M1 , Springfield, DuQuoin
Lexington?
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: gurals casino on August 12, 2026, 08:14:41 PM
Lexington?

yes I left them out erroneously
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: Bitter Truth on August 12, 2026, 08:14:53 PM
Bingo! You took the words right out of my mouth JT.
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: JT on August 12, 2026, 08:17:56 PM
All good GC
BT Lexington came to my mind first..its the only logical landing spot
Meadowlands is a shell of its glory years like most tracks, but I would hate for them to lose that day and race
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: The Answer on August 12, 2026, 08:32:35 PM
I know it must be a two turn mile and I think it must be in the USA

that leaves Hoosier, Vernon, M1 , Springfield, DuQuoin Red Mile

Colonial would be a one turn mile if they converted to harness

Hoosier Mohawk and Meadowlands are only ones that bid
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: gurals casino on August 12, 2026, 08:34:38 PM
Hoosier Mohawk and Meadowlands are only ones that bid

then I am wrong about the USA part

Illinois cannot afford it I shouldn't have listed them
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: Laag on August 12, 2026, 10:23:16 PM
So who in your opinion should get to host the race then? It’s obvious the meadowlands are done or else why let the contract expire? I personally think the only place that has put in a bid to host it and is capable of hosting is Hoosier and that’s my home track but we’ve had the BC 3 times and did great all 3 times.

gural let it expire because he wanted them to acquiesce to some of his rules...they arent done and real no other track will be able to keep it on the GRAND scale. sure the local community of Hoosier Park will get involved but are they going to bet
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: Laag on August 12, 2026, 10:25:15 PM
JC the president of the society told me they are doing everything possible to keep the Hambo at the Meaowlands

this is great news to hear, even though Gural has been somewhat of a dick to JC and the Hambo society, I think they realize the importance of this decision which will effectively kill NJ racing..alot of the members are from NJ...JC, Toscano, Perretti to name a few. I am sure some will push for new blood and a change but lets be real
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: Laag on August 12, 2026, 10:26:49 PM
isnt the red mile a dump? how the heck can they have that there

also moving it to Canada would be a joke of epic proportions
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: Lockedin with Pace on August 13, 2026, 07:06:34 AM
JC the president of the society told me they are doing everything possible to keep the Hambo at the Meaowlands

I'm sure you were the first-person John Campbell reached out to since you're such great lunch buddies, and so well connected in the industry, especially on the horse manure on Mark Fork's farm you sleep in.
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: bond on August 13, 2026, 07:17:55 AM
If it moves-that would be a disaster for New Jersey-and a kick in the nuts for Mr Gural who has put so much money and effort into the Meadowlands-only to see it snatched away.
 I know the financial security at the Meadowlands is a worry-as the state funding ends in less than 3 years-and Ohio-Indiana and Ontario have Casino revenue to raise purses.
If it moves Mr Gural has  himself to take some blame by being vocal about allowing certain trainers to race who are viewed contentiously by other factions of the industry.
 Relocating the event could allow a fresh start under different regulatory bodies that align closely with the Society’s strict stance on race rules and integrity.
The geographic rotation could help cultivate a new generation of owners, breeders, and fans outside of the Northeast.
I don't see however any track matching the handle the Meadowlands has for the Hambletonian.
 PLUS--The prime location attracts unmatched media exposure, blue-chip corporate sponsorship, and national television coverage on Fox Sports that smaller regional markets simply cannot replicate
Modify message
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: gurals casino on August 13, 2026, 09:44:00 AM
then why didn't Gural extend the contract?
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: jupiter on August 13, 2026, 11:21:38 AM
He didn't want a five year contract with the unknown economic conditions of the big m. Sure he wanted concessions in the contract, what business wouldn't. It'll be a shame if it moves, I would be more concerned in the future of the track itself, it's overnight racing is mostly crap with crap purses. I can not understand how people think Jeff should be the only one who is responsible for the future of harness racing in NJ. Look at the legislature.
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: seen2much on August 13, 2026, 11:56:47 AM
Ending the Hambletonian Society would be best for the sport. It is ridiculous listening to Campbell. They immediately start planning for next one days after the race. It has been in the same place. What is different and takes a year to plan for?
The answer is NOTHING
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: Racetime on August 13, 2026, 12:08:45 PM
Remember that the vote is to do what is best for the Hambletonian and not the State of NJ, the State is behind the 8 ball by not allowing a Casino at the Mlands. I believe it will end up in the cornfields of Indiana.
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: Racetime on August 13, 2026, 12:10:50 PM
Only 3 tracks put in bids Mlands, Hoosier and Mohawk so it's between those 3 this year
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: Grandstand Handicapper on August 13, 2026, 12:12:31 PM
Personally, I think a lot of this is posturing. Potentially dangerous in that the Meadowlands could lose the Hambo, but posturing nonetheless. The entire thing, all of it, takes place at a level so much higher than anyone can even imagine. All we see and hear is media, posturing, etc. No different than when the Meadowlands was allegedly closing. Gural let the HS contract expire because he knew that it did not mean the Meadowlands would automatically lose the Hambo. Obviously, he felt it would give him some advantage, leverage, etc. The HS put it out for bid knowing that it did not mean the Meadowlands was automatically no longer an option for them. So they too felt it gave them an advantage, leverage, etc. In the end, I think the Hambo stays at the Meadowlands. People will end up saying somehow, someway. If they lose it, it goes to Lexington, who ironically, did not put in a bid. Goes to show you, LOL.

 
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: jupiter on August 13, 2026, 03:05:06 PM
We have had corporate sponsorship. Budweiser Beacon Course, Cadillac Breeders Crown, what will change, new marketing? People forget the Hambo has only been at the
 Big M since 1981, DuQuoin before that. It would be great if it stayed at the Meadowland's. Things change, The Dexter Cup now Big M, Cane Pace Big M. Both were raced on half mile tracks, now on a mile track, both triple crown races.
Title: Re: Hambletonian Society Predictions
Post by: dougie on August 13, 2026, 03:36:11 PM
I hope it stays at the Meadowlands. Gural is approaching his 84th birthday. I'm guessing he's gotta be thinking about getting out of the game and just staying as a horse owner. He stayed at the same small Bungalow Colony in Monticello that my family did in the mid 70's and early 80's. He gave my Dad, Rest In Peace, his horse "Shadydale Yankios " who paid $12.60 at the "Mighty M". I never thought he's become an owner of three racetracks and be such a big player in harness racing. I saw him about 10 years ago a the Meadowlands. He was very gracious and friendly to my family.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal