HORSEPLOP.COM

General Category => Harness Racing => Topic started by: Sweet Louis 6 on August 10, 2026, 12:39:20 AM

Title: Horses from the past
Post by: Sweet Louis 6 on August 10, 2026, 12:39:20 AM
Every now and then I'll think of a horse from the past and I'll go see if I can find some videos of them racing. Sweet Lou will always be 1 of my favorites but today I was watching some races of Androvette. That horse had alot of heart and was hard to pass in the stretch..she always just dug in and seemed like she rarely ran out of gas. Who have of yall liked from the past.
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: COUNSELOR on August 10, 2026, 01:08:28 AM
Pull some videos of WHATA BARON and Lew Williams at Big M in late 70s. A tremendous animal and Lew was one of best drivers ever in this sport.  If he was alive today he would be a dominate driver.
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: LWC on August 10, 2026, 01:15:25 AM
So many. Androvette was one tough bitch for sure lol. There was a lot of really good hard-hitting race mares at that time. was a fun class. Off the top of my head I enjoyed Maven and Win Missy B. Peaceful Way. Intimidate (always fun). Majestic Son and Hana Hanover. He's Watching his two-year-old year. Creatine in KY (lost my voice on that one). Lady Shadow. Riegle had a mare at the Meadows that was fun. I forget her name. Raced open mares. Betts had a gelding about the same time in opens that could pretty much win at will from anywhere in the pack that was exciting too. Forgot his name too.

TBs. Winx of course. Frankel. Zenyatta and the Beholder/Songbird showdown. There was a little thoroughbred filly a few years back and while not a world beater her name was "Harass" and it was also hilarious to hear Colmus call her races.
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: SeattleSlew on August 10, 2026, 03:25:33 AM
Every now and then I'll think of a horse from the past and I'll go see if I can find some videos of them racing. Sweet Lou will always be 1 of my favorites but today I was watching some races of Androvette. That horse had alot of heart and was hard to pass in the stretch..she always just dug in and seemed like she rarely ran out of gas. Who have of yall liked from the past.

Yes, Androvette never ran out of gas, since Mark Kesmodel was her trainer ;>>)
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: pylon on August 10, 2026, 08:40:32 AM
The Grey Gladiator...Admir al,s Express, heart of a lion
maybe die hard oldtimers from Ontario remember Carey,s Pride, Samfrancisco Irv...2 hard knocking claimers
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: G on August 10, 2026, 09:10:52 AM
Yes, Androvette never ran out of gas, since Mark Kesmodel was her trainer ;>>)
Mark was at disciple of Pelling the baking soda king. I wonder whatever happened to Mark?
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: Ignorance Is Bliss on August 10, 2026, 09:21:32 AM
Mark was at disciple of Pelling the baking soda king. I wonder whatever happened to Mark?

How's the weather in Kew Gardens today???
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: Onthefront11 on August 10, 2026, 05:32:11 PM
Are you saying G is that piece of crap?
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: dougie on August 10, 2026, 05:53:09 PM
For me it was the amazing filly Silk Stockings winning the Monticello-OTB Classic in 157.3 with Preston Burris Jr. in the bike.
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: Lockedin with Pace on August 10, 2026, 05:58:43 PM
Speaking of Burris, he passed away last October at the age of 93.
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: dougie on August 10, 2026, 06:04:01 PM
Speaking of Burris, he passed away last October at the age of 93.
I'm glad he lived a long life. Let him Rest In Peace.
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: Mrpick5 on August 10, 2026, 06:59:33 PM
Alysheba 1987 Kentucky Derby. Almost fell down twice in the stretch and still somehow managed to get up for the win. Artsplace his 2yo Breeders Crown win at Pompano Park. November 30,1990 set a world record into a 45 mph headwind that sometimes gusted to over 60 mph.
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: jupiter on August 10, 2026, 07:05:16 PM
Mack Lobell, Moni Maker tie for me
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: remington on August 10, 2026, 07:40:43 PM
Bret Hanover
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: G on August 10, 2026, 08:20:12 PM
The greatest horse of all time big red.
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: bestbettor on August 10, 2026, 08:24:12 PM
Hang on snoopy, he came and raced at Hazel and crushed...
Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: PineHurstPacer on August 10, 2026, 08:26:58 PM
Magician had the most flawless, effortless gait I ever saw

Title: Re: Horses from the past
Post by: JT on August 10, 2026, 08:27:42 PM
Peace Corps at the LBJ... I was 10 years old
Prettiest trotter I've ever seen in person
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal