Author Topic: REMEMBER BACK WHEN WHEN HAD RACES NAMED COONS?  (Read 1663 times)

Croswell Coons

• Open / FFA
REMEMBER BACK WHEN WHEN HAD RACES NAMED COONS?
« on: November 14, 2022, 03:23:06 PM »
 CNN AND THE LEFT WING MEDIA WOULD DEMAND WE CHANGE OR BE PROTESTED BY BLM AND ITS SPORTERS

HOW I MISS THEM DAYS, JUST TO PISS THEM OFF  O0
THEY DONT CALL ME 'BIG DADDY' FOR NO REASON AT ALL.

cornishcommish

• Open / FFA
Re: REMEMBER BACK WHEN WHEN HAD RACES NAMED COONS?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 07:21:51 PM »
Coons   the name brings back many memories

The Coons family has had a long history of building racetracks and maintaining them

(In addition the 2 sons were also starters...one , much better than the other , one thought he was , the other was humble and did the best job)
One night at Pompano in the early 90s..the classy Hall of Famer was invited to Pompano for a special presentation.
To compliment his evening , he was named to drive competetive horses in consectutive races

In the first race he laid just off the gate as it hit the backstretch.....b ut to his surprise..the gate excelerated...and he was beat 10 lenghts at the start

Next race , he learned  from the 1st race ..and was close to the gate coming off the turn..
he had the horse right on the gate......and when he assumed the gate would accelerate..it didn't and he hit the gate , making a break.
Returning to the pddock  , he met the starter who always left the car to get food...Del asked him if he was NEW at this position>

And now we move to Delaware..late 90s......it rained so hard Sunday , races were cancelled...late closers and stakes carried over...the 3 Coons worked 15 hours  a day..to get the track raceable.....Mond ay..not bad....more rain Tuesday.....not good ...Wednesday..the y raced but track was not perfect on the turns..needed build up
Thursday....a great day of racing..track was super

And now we move to Jug day...races are finished..despite all the rain..fast times

Roger , this time was  right in his comments

He spoke of the great day of racing, and said , "none of this would have  been possible were it not for the work of the 3 Coons "

Meantime , the camera was focused on the track, where 3 "guys"  were raking the track.

You can figure out the observation...... .....today Roger would be barred from racing forever

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: Noxema gives me a soothing rush
    May 12, 2024, 01:08:57 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Wouldn't know, never had a need for it
    May 12, 2024, 12:12:11 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Yes it still offers that same cool sensation.
    May 12, 2024, 09:49:40 AM
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    May 11, 2024, 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal