Author Topic: just heard drivers are going to start charging $50 to qualify a horse  (Read 3976 times)

caddy

• Stakes Horse
  • vienerschnitzel
Re: just heard drivers are going to start charging $50 to qualify a horse
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2023, 07:48:42 PM »
I don’t get all the ploppers who do not think a driver should get paid something for working. What profession do you know where someone goes to work and doesn’t get paid?

Minor League baseball players play for a pittance.  They are certain of their talent and want to keep working on their trade until they can make the MLB- and, earn the big $$$.  Probationary drivers are learning, same as minor leaguers.  They drive the Q to get experience AND to develop relationships w top trainers and owners.  Then - they eventually hit the big time.
So, no- it's not like typical jobs.  but, if you can advance it pays way better than a typical job.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2023, 08:06:58 PM »
I read all the replies to my post. Nothing has changed my mind. Everyone needs to get paid for doing their jobs. If a driver doesn’t take the fee then it is his decision and no one else. I know there are times that trainers are looking for more than just beating the Q time. That’s when they might need a pro driving. But other than that why doesn’t the trainer just hop in the sulky and save the fee? To me this entire conversation is a non-starter. As far as the owners most of us have been thrilled over the past 20 years to break even and have some fun. Making any real money is a pipe dream for the little guys. The Q fee is a drop in the bucket versus all the vet, transportation and training bills. This small fee would not be a deterrent if you are crazy enough to own a horse today.

ferdinand the bull

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2023, 10:22:04 PM »
I like your idea but it would never work because the owners won’t stick together. Just like when a new juice trainer suddenly appears and the big money owners go running to them, the same is true for the drivers. As soon as one of the catch drivers gets hot the owners go running to them kissing ass to get them to drive their horses. The top catch drivers could charge 10-15% if they wanted and the owners would still pay it. The owners and drivers are the only ones making any money in the business. And if you’re not a top 25 catch driver you’re not making any money either.
And when the driver is supplying the big juice trainer even better

Larry Bird Boy

• Elite
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2023, 11:31:20 PM »
And when the driver is supplying the big juice trainer even better
Oh yes sir I agree with you ala Bartlett and Timmy t supplying the trainers with the go go juice.
Johnny Johnson fucked up Chicago harness racing. I hope you die !!!!

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal