Author Topic: Diet/Nutrition  (Read 2920 times)

Larry Bird Boy

• Elite
Re: Diet/Nutrition
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2023, 11:32:48 PM »
What does hormones have to do with nutrition?
You mean what does nutrition have to do with EPO?  You can feed your horse Kraft macaroni and cheese if you have the good EPO and it wouldn’t matter. It’s all about the good drugs today my friend. No need to worry about nutrition.
Johnny Johnson fucked up Chicago harness racing. I hope you die !!!!

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2023, 05:07:55 AM »
I've always enjoyed studying nutrition and have applied some of the techniques to my horses and I’ve had pretty good success especially with two and three-year-olds that have not been contaminated with drugs from other trainers.

Example: Oats/oatmeal is loaded with Melatonin and the amino acid Tryptophan that makes one sleepy/tired so it never made any sense to me feeding my horses oats before a race or a workout/training. 

I always fed them oats with sweet feed for lunch/dinner or after a race.

The problem with oats/oatmeal, melatonin, tryptophan on a regular basis is that it can artificially alter your natural circadian rhythm after several weeks or months which is not exactly on a 24 hour cycle for most. Circadian rhythms doesn't just affect sleep cycles it also affects hormone secretions along with other bodily functions.

My horses breakfast would include buckwheat/Kasha, corn and steamed crimped barley.

I'm interested what you guys feed your horses?

For all of the horses I have owned I have provided their trainers (five different ones over 25 years) with Octacosanol (derived from wheat germ oil) which has been shown to increase athletic performance.  It is a legal, nutrition supplement and easily administered, since it is basically in an oil format.  When we claimed horses, WITHOUT (at least to my knowledge) the administration of any illegal drugs, they almost always held or improved upon their prior performance (although that could also relate to our strategy for claiming.)  Certainly worth a try and easily available!  We wound up with a daily dose of about 200 mg.  fwiw

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14977443/

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2023, 10:21:59 AM »
For all of the horses I have owned I have provided their trainers (five different ones over 25 years) with Octacosanol (derived from wheat germ oil) which has been shown to increase athletic performance.  It is a legal, nutrition supplement and easily administered, since it is basically in an oil format.  When we claimed horses, WITHOUT (at least to my knowledge) the administration of any illegal drugs, they almost always held or improved upon their prior performance (although that could also relate to our strategy for claiming.)  Certainly worth a try and easily available!  We wound up with a daily dose of about 200 mg.  fwiw

That's interesting! Definitely going to look into that thank you Seattle!

Dingus

• Open / FFA
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2023, 10:56:04 AM »

Interesting info.  You have a link to the product form of choice?  I saw this 1 in probably powder form from Australia as an example :
https://www.westernworldsaddlery.com/contents/en-us/p5835_Orlax_Octacosanol_.html

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2023, 10:57:57 AM »
Omega 3 and 6

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2023, 11:08:30 AM »
Omega 3 and 6
Definitely! Also fish works great on heel cracks. Squeeze some fish oil in a heel crack nothing works better. Throw all that other shit in the garbage.

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2023, 11:29:18 AM »
Interesting info.  You have a link to the product form of choice?  I saw this 1 in probably powder form from Australia as an example :
https://www.westernworldsaddlery.com/contents/en-us/p5835_Orlax_Octacosanol_.html
Thanks Dingus! Derived from wheat germ interesting.

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2023, 11:46:24 AM »
Red Cell as a feed topping, but they seem to like Hemotonic better because of the cherry flavor.

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2023, 11:55:07 AM »
Red Cell as a feed topping, but they seem to like Hemotonic better because of the cherry flavor.
I think a combination of B12 and iron 50/50 works better. I agree Red Cell can't hurt.

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2023, 02:46:03 PM »
You mean what does nutrition have to do with EPO?  You can feed your horse Kraft macaroni and cheese if you have the good EPO and it wouldn’t matter. It’s all about the good drugs today my friend. No need to worry about nutrition.
I hear ya on the EPO but you're wrong about nutrition. Nutrition has everything to do with it. You have to have a horse to start with don't you.

Harness racer

• Elite
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2023, 06:39:45 PM »
You need to get your hero Mark on a better diet!   ngc3  ngc3  ngc3

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2023, 06:44:20 PM »

The last time we used it the only way it was available was in an oil form (Viobin and others).  I see that this has become more popular and is now available in the powdered form.  Not sure if the dosing would be the same, however, YES...this is the stuff, and it WORKS.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 06:46:01 PM by SeattleSlew »

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2023, 08:10:46 PM »
The last time we used it the only way it was available was in an oil form (Viobin and others).  I see that this has become more popular and is now available in the powdered form.  Not sure if the dosing would be the same, however, YES...this is the stuff, and it WORKS.
That’s interesting I think I like the oil base Viobin. Either way I would never feed oats prior to exercise.

Mazola

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2023, 10:12:56 PM »
Pete is probably injecting protein as well. tmbz1

Lance

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2023, 08:51:09 AM »
Interesting topic but wrong forum. Most of the jerk offs and degenerates on here could tell the difference between a horse and a donkey. They wouldn't know which end to feed. 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal