Author Topic: How did you become interested in horse racing?  (Read 3119 times)

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
Re: How did you become interested in horse racing?
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2023, 08:09:18 PM »
I used to have a Monticello winners circle pic from their early 1970s winter holiday meet. The horse was a trotter Southampton Pride. The trainer was Russ Pecchia, chubby guy with glasses. The driver was Ed Lohmeyer. 11:00 P.M., snowing, windy and the race went in 2:15. Then we slid home to NJ. What the heck was I doing there? Does anyone know the trainer and what became of him?

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2023, 08:35:11 PM »
Certainly do remember both horse and trainer. know Idea what became of him. Ed Lohmeyer is going into the HOF next year. Not gonna argue with that one. good guy, good racing family, not too shabby a driver.

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2023, 08:38:14 PM »
I used to have a Monticello winners circle pic from their early 1970s winter holiday meet. The horse was a trotter Southampton Pride. The trainer was Russ Pecchia, chubby guy with glasses. The driver was Ed Lohmeyer. 11:00 P.M., snowing, windy and the race went in 2:15. Then we slid home to NJ. What the heck was I doing there? Does anyone know the trainer and what became of him?

Russ died a few years ago.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2023, 08:46:22 PM »
Thank you guys. I just found Pecchia’s obituary. He was a very nice man. Passed away in central NJ at 73 years old in 2020. Worked as a trainer for over 30 years and then retired. A tough existence being a small trainer. He raced up and down the entire east coast from Maine to Florida according to his obituary. He became an Uber driver which had to be easier than owning a small stable and the hours put in.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 08:58:42 PM by theokodjak26 »

Dingus

• Open / FFA
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2023, 09:01:33 PM »
My father used to take me to Belmont and Aqueduct back in the early 70s when I was in college.
My 1st real exposure to harness racing was with a guy I used to work with in the middle 70s, who owned a pacer named Mountain Fortress, who raced at Monticello for Ronnie Saxe.
It’s been all downhill since then.

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2023, 10:25:42 PM »
Purely for the hot women and booze
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Mohawk mac

• 4 claimer
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2023, 01:48:58 PM »
Thanks to all who answered except Gen X.  Liked his response just not enough detail.   73cv.2

I'd love a few more repllies so bumping topic over SCM, Bobby Smolin and Cory K temporarily.  Those who already posted here may feel free to add more stories.

Lurkers STILL welcome to jump in.   tmbz1

Here's how I got involved in my second horse as owner:

In early 1985, three friends from work and I decided we wanted to claim a horse.  We found an honest, hard working trainer and made up a list of all the horses racing in Chicago for claiming prices between $8,000 and $14,000.  Those would be our limits.  We decided not to get an $8,000 claimer unless we all really liked him a lot because there was nowhere to drop him if he went south.  After weeks of study we narrowed our list to three.  They were Fox Valley Bullet, Fantastic Image and Loto King.  A Sunday night visit to Balmoral Park eliminated Loto King.  The little black horse raced only so-so in an $8,000 claimer.  Too risky for our taste.

There were stark contrasts between Fox Valley Bullet and Fantastic Image.  Both had pluses and minuses as do virtually all claimers.  Fantastic Image was in brilliant form winning or sharing every week for $10,000 or $12,000.  His only real negatives, but huge ones, were that he was seven years old and he had raced 43 times in 1984 and already started 15 times by April of 1985.  We knew that his schedule would take its toll sooner or later.  In contrast, the lightly raced five year old Fox Valley Bullet had recently arrived from Los Alamitos where he raced with mixed results.  I loved the way looked and his racing style!  Very quick off the gate but able to rate once he established position.  We watched each of them race one more time before deciding.

As expected, Fantastic Image battered a bunch of $10,000 types.  Fox Valley Bullet raced for $12,000 and got himself hopelessly boxed in.  It looked like his trainer/owner/driver, Marc Aubin,  had a ton of horse but nowhere to go.  The following week both were entered for $12,000.  Image on Thursday and Bullet on Friday.  Tough decision.  I strongly preferred Bullet.  I had a hard sell as the others all fell in love with the more glamorous Fantastic Image.   I finally convinced them to wait for Bullet.

We went out Thursday to watch Image.  He absolutely crushed that field.  And was claimed.  The next evening, Friday, April 19, 1985, we put in a claim on Fox Valley Bullet.  I was afraid others would too but we were the only ones.  With the claim entered, Aubin was not going to take any prisoners.  He gunned Bullet off the gate and won for fun, wire to wire, and set a new lifetime mark.  1:59.4.  We were owners!

We decided to enter Bullet in a  $14,000 claimer the following Saturday.  We were at the draw for post positions on Wednesday.  Two bad things happened.  Bullet drew post position 9 which is in the second tier, thus negating his good gate speed.  And our driver of choice, Ron Marsh, chose to drive another horse.  We ended up with Illinois Harness Racing Hall of Famer Daryl Busse, so no big loss.

April 27, 1985.  Fox Valley Bullet's first race for us.  We were pumped!  We had family, friends and co-workers on hand for the big event.  Bullet was second or third choice on the board behind Pilot Renvaeh and the aforementioned Fantastic Image.  Neither Image nor the Pilot were ever factors as the speedy Kentucky King shot to the lead and set the pace while Bullet stalked him closely throughout.  Bullet was boxed in the entire way until he finally got room at the top of the short Maywood Park stretch.  Here is track announcer Tony Salvaro's call.  "Kentucky King has the lead, Fox Valley Bullet second, Kentucky King and Fox Valley Bullet.  Heeeere comes FOX VALLEY BULLET!  Fox Valley Bullet is fastest of all!"

For sheer, unadulterated joy, that moment was number one in my entire life.  I will never forget the feeling.  I knew when it happened that it would remain unsurpassed so I savored it as long as possible.  The winners circle was a madhouse.  People everywhere.  We greeted Bullet and his driver and posed for the picture.  Then, after visiting Bullet and our trainer in the barn, we all went out for pizza.  What a great night.

Bullet won right back for $14,000 the following week and was 3rd for $20,000 the week after that.  We lost Bullet twice in claiming races and claimed him back each time.  Once we had to wait several months because the owners were afraid of losing him.  All in all, Fox Valley Bullet won 27 races for us from 1985 thru 1990 at which time he was retired to a long and happy life of leisure on our trainer's farm.

Horse ownership is very risky.  Lots of potential pitfalls.  But partial ownership can be fun and affordable.  From 1977 through 2007 I owned a piece of a couple dozen pacers including a few my partners and I bred.  We had some stakes winners, a few who never raced or made a living in $4000 claimers, and everything in between.  The most I owned of any one was 25% and the least was 10%.  But when they crossed the line first, the thrill was the same regardless of class, purse or % owned.  It was a great ride and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

My only regret is that Illinois racing's slow, horrible and utterly preventable demise forced me out of business.  Damn those crooked politicians and greedy track owners.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
  • Indian24: Herpes can be treated but will always be with you  ngc3
    May 06, 2024, 10:11:57 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Where in the world did this rash come from?
    May 06, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal