Author Topic: How did you become interested in horse racing?  (Read 3120 times)

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
Re: How did you become interested in horse racing?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2023, 09:00:52 PM »
So what’s going to happen to harness racing when us older fans are no longer on the earth. There may be some younger drivers, trainers and grooms but lots of young fans no way. Stories like ours from our youth or as young adults will not repeat in any form. Every experience will be from their iPads or cell phones. So let’s appreciate what we experienced with all the fantastic memories we will take to our graves.

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2023, 09:34:18 PM »
It’s been a good ride.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2023, 12:10:37 AM »
So what’s going to happen to harness racing when us older fans are no longer on the earth. There may be some younger drivers, trainers and grooms but lots of young fans no way. Stories like ours from our youth or as young adults will not repeat in any form. Every experience will be from their iPads or cell phones. So let’s appreciate what we experienced with all the fantastic memories we will take to our graves.
Very good point. No one after us will ever know what it was like to hear 35000 people scream at a harness track, to taste roasted peanuts on charcoal after a night at Roosevelt or see Herve intending the whole time to finish 4th...finish 4fh and this is sad.

Sure, it's what we have now and we call it harness racing, but it isn't harness racing.

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2023, 06:03:47 AM »
Nobody measured one like , Herve. A close second was Harold Story.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2023, 08:24:48 AM »
Nobody measured one like , Herve. A close second was Harold Story.
tmbz1 tmbz1   A story about Harold Story ( and Herve ) upcoming.....

remington

• Open / FFA
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2023, 09:20:39 AM »
Story was a better driver than Herve.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2023, 09:25:01 AM »
tmbz1 tmbz1   A story about Harold Story ( and Herve ) upcoming.....
When the great trotters, Scenic Regal with Harold Story and Fortune Mark with Herve Filion dominated the Open trotting ranks at YR in the early 90s, I was very close with Fortune Mark's connection - Larry Battaglia, trainer and an older groom, a great horseman, we called "Tooky' on the backstretch.

Each horse would be assigned the 7 or 8 post based mostly upon who won the week before. Regardless of trip, by the top of the stretch, the two horses were side by side. Harold and Herve would talk to each other almost down to the wire,  hashing out who was going to win that night and that it would be the other guy's turn next week. Herve so much as acknowledged this upon return to the paddock. for the bettor a 7/8 exacta box was money in the bank. If you boxed you were assured around 5-1 on your money, because in those days there was "value" and it always paid around 20 bucks, either way it came in.

Herve was unparalled at that stuff. Blessed to have known him. Hated the way he went out.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2023, 09:27:39 AM »
You gave me shit because of my anti Carmine rants, then you say absurd shit like this. Pretty ironic. I respect your store of info but this is nonsense. Herve, it can still be argued may STILL be the greatest driver that ever lived! Don't kick dirt on Herve's memory. This gets personal with me.

NJ Observer

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2023, 09:36:09 AM »
I WAS KIDNAPPED BY GYPSIES AND TAKEN TO THE SWAMP FOR MY 1ST MEETING WITH PIERCE, O'DONNELL, AND CAMPBELL!!! I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE JUMPED OUT OF THEIR WINDOWLESS PANEL VAN BEFORE WE GOT TO EXIT 16W,BUT I WAS YOUNG & STUPID!!!  ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
THE REST IS A HISTORY OF HITS & MISSES, WINS & LOSSES,AND THOUSANDS OF CURSES AT SUITCASE MIKE LACHANCE, CATMAN, AND PURPLE JESUS!!!
DEPORT THE MEXICALI!!!  PENA ES EL CHEATO Y STUPIDO!!!

JL52

• Open / FFA
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2023, 09:55:10 AM »
As a pre-teen growing up in Westchester County, just 11 miles from Yonkers, I couldn’t attend because at that time the minimum age was 18 ( or 21). So my Dad and I went to Aqueduct or Belmont, and I remember having to stand on top of the grandstand seat in order to see over the mass of people. On Belmont Stakes Day in late 60s, I hit a long shot on the undercard- Buz On, ridden by Hadley Woidhouse, prevailing by a nose at a win payoff of $ 95.80. Sweet.
So, unable to go to local nighttime harness racing, we would travel to Monticello ( 90 miles one-way), Green Mountain (162 miles), Hinsdale (180), Bowie ( about 200), Dover, Harrington, even Georgetown Raceway (200+). Keep in mind these were round-trips same night, no overnight stays.
Afresh out of college, I would do Freehold/ Brandywine doubleheaders, or Northampton/ Hinsdale, and many others. You get the idea.
Pre-simulcasting, it was a thrill to walk into a new track ( many Canadian, built around vacations), pick up a program, try to break even.
Over the years, have attended about 120 flat, harness, q horse, and dog tracks. Many long gone.
In 1988, claimed a mid level horse at Monticello. Started to jog mostly bombproof horses, even turned and went a training mile with a few at Monti, Aiken, and Hawkinsville.
Owned 40% of one really good NYSS filly in 1992-93.
Left ownership about 8 years ago when I realized I could get to the first turn faster than they could.
Have many happy memories, have an ex-partner with whom I occasionally discuss getting back with, but with all the drugging, plus competition from the super stables, and the hassle of licensing, I am unsure it’s worth re-entering to a situation of an almost definite loss.
But I watch almost every day, making a few modest bets.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2023, 10:09:07 AM »
I started going to harness races in later 1960s but in earnest 1970-1972. Herve was the man racing all over the place winning like crazy. I have to tell you I barely recall Harold Story and question how he could possibly compare to Herve or a bunch other top drivers in that era. I will take your word he was a good horseman and I have seen a few videos with his very good trotters. But comparing Story to Herve, I don’t think so.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2023, 10:37:31 AM »
As a pre-teen growing up in Westchester County, just 11 miles from Yonkers, I couldn’t attend because at that time the minimum age was 18 ( or 21). So my Dad and I went to Aqueduct or Belmont, and I remember having to stand on top of the grandstand seat in order to see over the mass of people. On Belmont Stakes Day in late 60s, I hit a long shot on the undercard- Buz On, ridden by Hadley Woidhouse, prevailing by a nose at a win payoff of $ 95.80. Sweet.
So, unable to go to local nighttime harness racing, we would travel to Monticello ( 90 miles one-way), Green Mountain (162 miles), Hinsdale (180), Bowie ( about 200), Dover, Harrington, even Georgetown Raceway (200+). Keep in mind these were round-trips same night, no overnight stays.
Afresh out of college, I would do Freehold/ Brandywine doubleheaders, or Northampton/ Hinsdale, and many others. You get the idea.
Pre-simulcasting, it was a thrill to walk into a new track ( many Canadian, built around vacations), pick up a program, try to break even.
Over the years, have attended about 120 flat, harness, q horse, and dog tracks. Many long gone.
In 1988, claimed a mid level horse at Monticello. Started to jog mostly bombproof horses, even turned and went a training mile with a few at Monti, Aiken, and Hawkinsville.
Owned 40% of one really good NYSS filly in 1992-93.
Left ownership about 8 years ago when I realized I could get to the first turn faster than they could.
Have many happy memories, have an ex-partner with whom I occasionally discuss getting back with, but with all the drugging, plus competition from the super stables, and the hassle of licensing, I am unsure it’s worth re-entering to a situation of an almost definite loss.
But I watch almost every day, making a few modest bets.
Excellent story and rational perspective across the board. Good luck to you!

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2023, 10:38:47 AM »
I started going to harness races in later 1960s but in earnest 1970-1972. Herve was the man racing all over the place winning like crazy. I have to tell you I barely recall Harold Story and question how he could possibly compare to Herve or a bunch other top drivers in that era. I will take your word he was a good horseman and I have seen a few videos with his very good trotters. But comparing Story to Herve, I don’t think so.
tmbz1   And that's putting it mildly.

Yonkers1A

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2023, 10:47:59 AM »
When I was 10 my Dad and his friend took me to Finger Lakes. They gave me the program and said pick a winner, I did easy money. The seed was planted. My Dad had friends who raced at Vernon and I would listen to the stories.

When I turned 18 a High School friend said let’s go to OTB and make some money, it was a blast, we went at lunch time. I would bet during the day then watch Spencer Ross and Stan Bernstein at night.

Got married had a family and the betting slowed down, though we did on occasion take the bus to Monticello on Saturday nights.

A friend said let’s get a horse so we traveled to Monticello and met a trainer, we were more interested if we could make money betting, the trainer said of course with a big smile. We never followed through.

Fast forward again and Tioga Downs reopened with Trotters, it was a 1/4 horse track. Found a local trainer, claimed a horse and had a blast, jogging, grooming for years. When Tioga closed in September we would ship to Pocono and could never beat Oakes, he had probably 10 gas positives, got disgusted with the game and have not owned since. Now I bet about 90% on T breds

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2023, 11:02:00 AM »
Yonkers1A just to clarify.. Did the horses have 10 gas positives or was it directed at Oakes’s flatulence you are referring to? Just asking…..

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    Today at 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
  • Indian24: Herpes can be treated but will always be with you  ngc3
    May 06, 2024, 10:11:57 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Where in the world did this rash come from?
    May 06, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal