General Category > Nostalgia

Old Scioto Downs Days

(1/4) > >>

Bitter Truth:
Saw alot of great ones go thru there. Ramblng Willie a bunch. Open horses like Sovereign Warrior, Playboy Hanover , Bullet Bluecrest, Little Startrick, Great Mare Courtney J.  Driving colony, Terry Holton, Lloyd Dillon, Marc Ferguson, Jim Pollock, Jim Parkinson, Phil Seibold, Joe Adamsky, Dave Rankin, Brad Farrington, Bill Fahy, Purple Jesus Jeff Fout,... Saw Nero, Silk Stockings, Warm Breeze, Jambooger..Riegle s often ruled. Couldn't remember em all. Wonder if anyone else remembers. Used to pack em in on weekends..Had to cash in one line,[often the $2 combo line cashed all types] bet in another..Kept you steppin. Ran the bets for me and my dad when in my teens.Still had the same tile up all around the place from the 60's and 70's  till recently when they tore the old structure down. Had become a real dump. Not actually too bad now.

Miguel_Sanchez:
That brings back memories.  A lot of the greats got there start at old Scioto Downs.  Riegle definitely had too many to list.  Can't forget the big three Artsplace, Western Hanover, & Life Sign

Bitter Truth:
Thx for chiming in..Was kinda thinkin older days but so true about Riegle. Bruce could drive a little..Alan a total anchor. , Sholty, Garnsey would bring the young ones thru...One old Inviter I forgot was Big Kahuna. I believe there was a World Record triple dead heat .. Firecracker Free-for-all $20k [big$ back then]

Bitter Truth:
Billy Walters [sugar Valley Farm ] Had Honey Cane [youngest to drive in Jug with him], Sugar Beats, Saccharine, Hold Your Breath, among others. You always leave out stuff when trying to list.

Bitter Truth:
Hate it when people have all the posts on a topic but here I am..lol Thought of some more. Couldn't believe I failed to mention Sam [Chip] Noble [My Dad's fave] Had a slew of those 'Moonlight' horses like Ace and Saint.  His best horse was probably Nobleland Sam ..raced in NAC I believe , pretty decent sire too. Led the nation in driving % a year or two. Sammie was not afraid to burn one up just to prove a point. That was back before there was a hole for every leaver. Earl Purcell is another obscure driver I strangely recall. Billy Walters also had Weather, Beeeeyoouuuuu, and my personal favorite, LeCirque... A couple other top horses: Falcon Almuhurst [Battled Abercrombie in Jug, I believe] and How bout Star Celtic? I think he was driven by a guy named Al Johnson.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version