General Category > Nostalgia

Any Canarsie folks here?

(1/8) > >>

doug:
Just curious if any of you folks are from Canarsie, Brooklyn. I used to hang out at the OTB on Rockaway Parkway a mile or so from the Belt parkway. Great OTB! Used to jump on the "Belt" and be at the "Big A" in 15 minutes. The 70's and 80's had great crowds at Aqueduct. Even on weekdays during the winter meet, you'd see 8,000 to 10,000 people there. Jockey colony included Codero Jr., Maple, Venezia, Velazquez, and Vasquez. The "Big A" had a great clubhouse, nice and warm. Manhatten clam chowder was $2.95 and was a meal. LOL! Just great racing in those days.

towtruck:

--- Quote from: doug on November 02, 2022, 09:24:31 AM ---Just curious if any of you folks are from Canarsie, Brooklyn. I used to hang out at the OTB on Rockaway Parkway a mile or so from the Belt parkway. Great OTB! Used to jump on the "Belt" and be at the "Big A" in 15 minutes. The 70's and 80's had great crowds at Aqueduct. Even on weekdays during the winter meet, you'd see 8,000 to 10,000 people there. Jockey colony included Codero Jr., Maple, Venezia, Velazquez, and Vasquez. The "Big A" had a great clubhouse, nice and warm. Manhatten clam chowder was $2.95 and was a meal. LOL! Just great racing in those days.

--- End quote ---
I come out of Sheepsheadbay. I'd shovel my car, 4 to 8 inches of snow,AND the path to Ave. Y where the streets were plowed to get there! Nice and toasty warm once inside! Cordero and the crew almost NEVER Cancelled! Boy those were the good old days for sure,,,

Superfecta:

--- Quote from: doug on November 02, 2022, 09:24:31 AM ---Just curious if any of you folks are from Canarsie, Brooklyn. I used to hang out at the OTB on Rockaway Parkway a mile or so from the Belt parkway. Great OTB! Used to jump on the "Belt" and be at the "Big A" in 15 minutes. The 70's and 80's had great crowds at Aqueduct. Even on weekdays during the winter meet, you'd see 8,000 to 10,000 people there. Jockey colony included Codero Jr., Maple, Venezia, Velazquez, and Vasquez. The "Big A" had a great clubhouse, nice and warm. Manhatten clam chowder was $2.95 and was a meal. LOL! Just great racing in those days.

--- End quote ---

I didn't go to the OTB on Rockaway Parkway but I would always stop at The Seaview Diner on my way home from Yonkers or Roosevelt.

doug:
A great diner! Owned by some greek folks. Nice people!
You from Brooklyn?

doug:
Towtruck, you got some great memories like i do. I graduated South Shore HS, Kingsborough, and the Brooklyn College. I made a lot of friends from Sheepshead Bay. I loved Joe's Clam Bar and Roll N Roster. I hear it's still pretty expensive to buy a house in that area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version