Author Topic: What's your largest single wager on a horse race  (Read 2228 times)

FirstUpFrom8Hole

• Stakes Horse
What's your largest single wager on a horse race
« on: June 03, 2023, 02:13:56 PM »
Win or lose, what's the most you've ever bet on a single horse. Mine was a $500 Win ticket on a horse I was driving that absolutely could not lose.  ngc3 ngc3 Dumbass. And the horse went off at 3/5. Double dumbass. Horrific trip and we got beat. Since then I have never bet over $10.

I also hate looking over at the toteboard and seeing some Bridge jumper has hit my horse. I hate thinking he just bet the mortgage and grocery money and if he loses he's going to go to the nearest tall bridge, or worse, go home and tune up on the wife and kids.

Senator Blutarsky

• Elite
  • Part Human, Part Machine, Better Part Canine
Re: What's your largest single wager on a horse race
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 02:27:22 PM »
Win or lose, what's the most you've ever bet on a single horse. Mine was a $500 Win ticket on a horse I was driving that absolutely could not lose.  ngc3 ngc3 Dumbass. And the horse went off at 3/5. Double dumbass. Horrific trip and we got beat. Since then I have never bet over $10.

I also hate looking over at the toteboard and seeing some Bridge jumper has hit my horse. I hate thinking he just bet the mortgage and grocery money and if he loses he's going to go to the nearest tall bridge, or worse, go home and tune up on the wife and kids.

2007, Nobiz Like Shobiz, Kentucky Derby, $3k on the horse directly (1500wp), another $3k on exotic related bets.  $6k total.  100% tear ups.

2009, $850,000 loss over 9 months in a start up company in Hollywood, FL...so in life I've made way more and lost way than any and all horse races!  The multi-day carryover pick 6 at Santa Anita, Gulfstream, NYRA tracks still eludes me!   ;D

It's Official!

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 03:18:48 PM »
 4000 win rock n tony

breeders crown

bad drive from the 1 hole finished 6th
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 05:07:40 PM »
Small time bettor. Stock market whole different ball game.

Frank the Zipper

• Stakes Horse
  • Shoot 'em up
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 08:09:45 PM »
$300 to win on a 2-1 nag at DRC. Horse won but was disqualified. Instead of flying to Florida, I hitch hiked back to Guelph.

Meadow Ford

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 08:19:46 PM »
Pompano Park  Late 60's
I bet two weeks wages on Geo Sholty driving Patchy Knox in the open hcp pace.
He won. but I was so nervous I never bet two weeks wages again.
Years later I would bet more total money, but never again a total of two weeks wages on one horse.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Senator Blutarsky

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 08:19:59 PM »
$300 to win on a 2-1 nag at DRC. Horse won but was disqualified. Instead of flying to Florida, I hitch hiked back to Guelph.

Woah dude, nothing more, just felt that!  Reminded me of a 50-1 0/20+, $112k earner lol, maiden spec weight that I caught at Belmont and got dq'd for incidental contact in the stretch and according to the stewards who I visited a few days later only because the jockey was an apprentice, damn I was pissed! 

You wanna do a one week trade / swap if you're still there - Pompano Beach 1 br for ?   ;D
It's Official!

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 09:02:19 PM »
This isin't very big and I've bet more but back in the mid 80s my "big bet" was $200 to win, so about 500 or more in todays money

I was dedicated enough about betting back then to drive 9 hours round trip to the Battle of Brandywine to bet two hundred on Anxious Robbie.  He did win at 2 to 1 so I was happy. 

Today's another story ... I live less than an hour and a half from Yonkers and M and haven't been there in 30 years.

Superfecta

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 11:11:56 PM »
I don't remember the name of the horse. It had to be late 80's or early 90's. Mike LaChance had a trotter that I thought would crush. He was 8-1. I put $800 win and after looking for some triples I decided he wouldn't just win but he would dominate and the triple looked terrible so I put another $800 win. $1600 was my largest single wager on a horse. He was up by 10 turning for home and took a few bad steps. Recovered and looked good with 4 lengths ahead and then went in to a wild dance and it was over. I walked out winning $1200 but I didn't feel like a winner that night.

TimTimTimbo

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 11:17:03 PM »
Back in New Zealand at my home track. Was down $4,000 on the day, wrote a bad check for $2,000 with the racing secretary who signed off on it knowing it was a bad check but I told him I would have it fixed after the long weekend.

Back in mid 80's, A friend had an up and coming trotter in the open handicap and he was having his 1st start of a forced layoff with a bad back.  He got him right with the chiropractor and expected him to win.

I put $200 win and place and a 200 quinella with the 2-1 favorite. He went off at 11 to 1. He was 18 to 1 before a bunch of us bet it.

The race was over 2400 meters (mile and a half) and he pulled from 4th over at top of stretch and was mowing them down, he started to trot roughly with 100 yards to go and you could see it in slow motion that he was short stepping in behind and his driver gave him a slap with the whip and off stride he went. He won by a nose and was paying 12.20 for $1 and the quinella was 32 for a buck.  Over there they put the payoffs up while protest is being heard.  Back then if you gallop over the line they can DQ you to last.  I knew they would take him down, but I thought they would put him second as the 3rd horse was 7 lengths back.  I got fucked and the horse put back to last.

They raced again 2 days later, same horses and I wrote another bad check for $2,000 and put the whole 2 on him to win.  He won by half the stretch and paid 4.40 for a dollar so I got $8,800 back and went and got my bad checks back.

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 04:26:18 AM »
Early 1980's at the Meadowlands.  I had one of my trotters in a later race, but my trainer had another horse in the 2nd race.  I stopped by and my trainer had taken the night off (because he was screwing around...) and his assistant trainer was there (super nice guy!).  The assistant trainer told me that the 2nd race horse had been having air issues, but that he had worked him with a choke-can and the horse had been super...long odds.  Ben Webster drove for me and he was also driving the horse in the 2nd race.  I caught up with him as he came off the van back to the paddock and told him to drill the horse in the 2nd race.  Just take off and don't let anyone go.  I played $500 to win on him and took 3 other horses to use in the exacta and played each one both ways for $200 on each of 6 exactas for another $1200.    Thus a total of $1700 bet.  John Campbell had the rail with a 6 or 7-1 shot and Bennie shot this sucker out of the gate and took the top with Campbell riding under him.  That is the way they finished and I would up with almost $25,000 as the win price was around $20.40 and the exacta was $202.00.  In those days you could really pump it into the window without shaking the board.  That was the most money I had bet and the most money I have ever won on a single race (although I hit a lot of big pick 4's and Superfectas in the 60's and 70's at RR.)
When I took the van back from the grandstand to the paddock, I met Benny on the landing that the van leaves from and gave him $6,000 in a "green handshake" and when he realized how much it was, I don't think he had ever gotten that kind of "tip" before; I gave BXX, the assistant trainer $2,000 and he was over the moon.  It could have been even a better evening but my trotter (whom I bet some money on) broke out of the gate and finished up the track.

augustaandy

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 03:22:00 PM »
on a t-bred, $3,000, just missed by a head in the Alabama in Saratoga and was in against allowance horses, won by a city block at Belmont

on a pacer, $2,000, claimed one for 20k, was one of 5 claims and won the shake, had the rail at Yonkers, knew I would lose it as it raced super the night I got him, took the purse and the bet

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 05:53:00 PM »
This not a horse race but I currently have $500 bet that president Flounder will hold the record for most Eggnored!
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

Senator Blutarsky

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 05:58:08 PM »
This not a horse race but I currently have $500 bet that president Flounder will hold the record for most Eggnored!

I was gone for a week and you who posts very infrequently started a thread about me and made 5 posts about me.

For someone betting $500 for me to be "eggnored", you promote me non-stop, money down the drain pal...you bet on the horse to win and you seek to make him lose.  Nice work!   ;D

p.s you got the ol' lady turning tricks for the 5 c's, you haven't seen 5 bills in your life! 
It's Official!

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 10:46:55 PM »
Meadowlands 1995   B Cor Pete   100k trot race  6 hole  $600 to win   Howard Parker wire to wire   Paid 9.80, so nearly $3000 collected right there. Spread 300 in exactas and 60 more in doubles - net result - another $2200   Total $960 bet / over $5300 collected.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Thats self centered to the max Madoff.
    May 19, 2024, 09:08:38 PM
  • Laag: ruthless
    May 19, 2024, 05:57:58 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: I come in my hand.
    May 19, 2024, 11:31:18 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal