Author Topic: breaking yearlings  (Read 4729 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Re: breaking yearlings
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2023, 11:01:32 AM »
HHHMMMM. So we have something else in common. I worked for Jerry briefly. He was down a groom and I decided to give it a shot. Biggest name trainer I had been with at the time. Definitely a bit nervous, but Jerry was cool. I'm talking the DontDally days. From there it was on to Lew Williams. Incredible horseman, even when he was fucked up.

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2023, 12:00:58 PM »
We have had some we could hook in 3 days, others nearly 3 weeks. 

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2023, 02:59:14 PM »
HHHMMMM. So we have something else in common. I worked for Jerry briefly. He was down a groom and I decided to give it a shot. Biggest name trainer I had been with at the time. Definitely a bit nervous, but Jerry was cool. I'm talking the DontDally days. From there it was on to Lew Williams. Incredible horseman, even when he was fucked up.

Sounds like you guys rode along with Moody.

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2023, 02:59:22 PM »
I remember some of the Yankees coming in the barn. Phil Rizzuto sweet Lou! (The Pinstripe stable) Had an opportunity to go to Florida for the winter took it. Imagine that we probably know one another!

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2023, 03:00:07 PM »
Sounds like you guys rode along with Moody.
Moody! Yes we be old lol.

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2023, 03:01:26 PM »
I remember some of the Yankees coming in the barn. Phil Rizzuto sweet Lou! (The Pinstripe stable) Had an opportunity to go to Florida for the winter took it. Imagine that we probably know one another!

Don’t forget Roy White and Mattingly and nobody like the horses better than Mickey Rivers

brownmoose13

• Top Claimer
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2023, 04:48:23 PM »
No in many cases, guys get them home and throw a harness on them for a day or two, and by second or third day they hook them. This is not an unusual practice.

I am not talking about second or third day..I am talking about all yearlings the very next day. If you saw the videos I cannot believe they are not TQ'ed

Par Four

• 4 claimer
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2023, 05:15:59 PM »
You can find out some quirks in the ones by first crop sires before Harrisburg

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2023, 05:24:05 PM »
Don’t forget Roy White and Mattingly and nobody like the horses better than Mickey Rivers
Can tell ya stories about Whitey Ford and John Montefusco

PurpleSheetPicks

• Elite
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2023, 05:42:22 PM »
And it its a yearling you send to Greg Peck, He's training them down in a week, so they barely make to the track as a 2yr.

i hate the crazy man but i will give him this, he got a halter and harnesss on one of mine day 1 that no one else could

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2023, 06:03:44 PM »
i hate the crazy man but i will give him this, he got a halter and harnesss on one of mine day 1 that no one else could

Ok, but lets not tell anyone this after today.  ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

shotgunner

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2023, 07:03:43 PM »
I am not talking about second or third day..I am talking about all yearlings the very next day. If you saw the videos I cannot believe they are not TQ'ed

Well there’s no cure for stupid I guess.

shotgunner

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2023, 07:04:35 PM »
[/quote
Probably beat it into submission first.

remington

• Open / FFA
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2023, 07:23:51 PM »
In the 90's I had one on the farm that I put the harness on one day and cart the next day and off I went with no trouble. I remember a cattle dealer harness horseman his last name was Mothersell had a horse at Waterloo fairgrounds that he didn't take the harness off once he got it on him. Can't remember how long he left it on him but it was at least a week or longer. He had had some great stories. Billy Martin the Yankee manager had an apartment in East Rutherford and I used to drink and play pool with him on Sundays during the off season.

White Rabbit

• Open / FFA
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2023, 08:13:24 PM »
Biggest difference is we purified the breed. The breeders have breed out the wildness or ignorance we use to see 40 yrs ago. Now they pretty much hit the ground trotting or pacing. I can remember seeing trainers putting leather hopples on them , burning all four legs just to get them to pace slow. Now when you have a conversation with a colt trainer they don’t have any expectations til the can train a pacer faster then 2:05. I can remember way back when trainers thought they had something if the could go a mile in 20.
On the trot side I can remember changing a babies shoes sometimes 3 times in one morning when training them trying to get them to stay flat. Nowadays if that’s the case they Amish them.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    Today at 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
  • Indian24: Herpes can be treated but will always be with you  ngc3
    May 06, 2024, 10:11:57 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Where in the world did this rash come from?
    May 06, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal