Author Topic: Breeders who keep their best babies for themselves  (Read 1914 times)

horses first

• Elite
Re: Breeders who keep their best babies for themselves
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2023, 04:04:36 PM »
The way the Breeders awards set up in PA Hanover never had to bid up or buy back because they made so many millions in Breeders awards each year. When you're raking in over 20mln in that regard helps keep the farm flowing and in investing in mares. Agree on Blue Chip.

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2023, 04:13:11 PM »
Breeders awards were not a factor till Recently.

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2023, 05:17:27 PM »
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Winbak. They buy back so many they need 3-4 stable names to race them under. 

seen2much

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2023, 05:41:00 PM »
Many breeders have now also become owners of race horses

Is that fair to the public

They keep their best for themselves

Two farms in  Kentucky

Are famous  for this

Wood you buy from them ?

Knowing your getting fvked and have odds more against you
If you don't like it breed your own. You always stick up for the big barns.  tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1

horses first

• Elite
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2023, 06:07:52 PM »
Breeders awards were not a factor till Recently.

Not sure what your definition is of recently as the PA breeders program has been in place since 2004. That's coming up on 20 years and in viability of horse racing is a long time and not "recent". Hanover year in and year leads that pack of reaping in many millions. It may not be 20mln a year especially since the % has dropped since its on start to current years. If Hanover isn't one WinBak is close. Either way those millions go a long way in a successful breeding operation even when. U have to sell some yearlings at a loss

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2023, 06:10:09 PM »
I purchased a colt from Hanover years ago, 15,000. Got him home and everything normal till we hooked him. whizzing couldn't breath, didn't eat, feed in water pail. Scoped him, he had no epiglotus, paper thin. Took him to Patty Hogan, she confirmed that the horse would never race, be sick all the time and die early. I called Hanover, Murray told me I had to talk to Bridget she told me I had to talk to Jimmy. Well long story short. They had to know if they towed or ponyed him. They tried to give me credit, no thanks. Oh, and I could keep him, no thanks. I finally got a refund. When I took him back to the fairgrounds, they had a packed house. I asked the guy, he said some day he'd come and they'd all be gone.

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2023, 07:59:19 PM »
If you don't like it breed your own. You always stick up for the big barns.  tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1
  IM ACTUALLY NOT ,,IF U COMPREHENED MY POST
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2023, 08:44:02 PM »
It presents a bad image to the public when you keep your own horses and sell others.  It leads to the impression your keeping the cream of the crop and selling off the problem children.

As for bidding up your own there are three farms that do it that I know of.  Diamond Creek protects there's as well as Blue Chip.  By far the worst is Spring Haven and Senena.  She will run you up like no other and when she can't get you for anymore or she get stuck she will retract the bid and you will miraculously be the winning bidder.

When they say the bidder was waving or some other excuse for getting caught pushing, you should also back out and start way below where you last bid. 

You can go back to the barn where WinBack and buy most any they bid in. 

I’ve found the worst for pushing is Allamerica.   I won’t even look at their offerings. 

An auction is where the consignor has ONE bid or an upset price.  All the catalogs now have a disclaimer that allows the consignor to bid.    These are actually offerings and not auctions.   

The ultimate cheap award has to go to Diamond Creek and Bowden.  It's very well known that one of his employees who was (non vet) got caught drawing blood and what ever else at Red Mile two weeks ago.  Racing commission caught an unlicensed person with needle taking blood from numerous horses.  Probably never hear anything about this one.  Had it been anyone else, the horses would be scratched and the owner / trainer severely punished.

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2023, 09:42:53 PM »
It just adds to the fact the odds are stacked against the little guy of buying a yearling and actually making money. Keep the best and sell the rest. Between the big stables and and crooked breeders the little guy is being squeeze out of harness racing.

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2023, 09:52:33 PM »
It just adds to the fact the odds are stacked against the little guy of buying a yearling and actually making money. Keep the best and sell the rest. Between the big stables and and crooked breeders the little guy is being squeeze out of harness racing.

👍😢😢😢👍
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: Vicks Vapor Rub is a great slipping cream
    May 14, 2024, 05:43:11 PM
  • The Thorn: Damn, You'all sound like a bunch of pussies.  Go smell some flowers and report back
    May 14, 2024, 12:41:19 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like the cool soothing feel.
    May 13, 2024, 07:32:06 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: Noxema gives me a soothing rush
    May 12, 2024, 01:08:57 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Wouldn't know, never had a need for it
    May 12, 2024, 12:12:11 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Yes it still offers that same cool sensation.
    May 12, 2024, 09:49:40 AM
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    May 11, 2024, 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal