Author Topic: only in maine  (Read 11702 times)

cornishcommish

• Open / FFA
Re: only in maine
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2021, 03:27:14 AM »
Is Frank Hall still a PJ? Dana D did not want it, Shane Bacon still around? Who else is there?

There is still the crew from Cumberland, Charlie , Mike Timmons. and  Ralph Canney who worked Bangor

Bacon is PJ at Vernon,  but they only race 3 days a week....never Sundays..so  he would announce at Bangor. His schedule , till Vernon closes  does not permit him to work the Fairs.   Roger Smith used to work many of the Fairs , but has had health issues for the past year, and will probably not work again. FRank Hall does not want to travel to Fairs...and he too will be/should be retiring soon

The average age of Maine horse people is lower than in past years.  Time to recruit  some younger people and train them to be race officials........ ...patrol judges , race office , charters , associate judges.  Let them work a Fair meet with some experienced people. Somebody in the Commission should be charged with this task

Wendall Tilley

• Open / FFA
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2021, 05:51:53 AM »
You are on the right track. Maine has always had judges that had other jobs or retirees.They wouldnt give up the easy $ so consequently no younger people could get a job and certainly not a career.This has been going on for decades.Judging horse racing is a thankless job,much like being a referee.Trust me I know. The pay is about 225$ an  8 to 10 hour day with the draws and program clearing plus the travel each way. Add the  fact that nothing works right at the fairs, I.E clock toteboard ,phones etc. as was the case at union sunday,It's a thankless job with no benefits and an uncertain future,so one doesnt have to wonder why there is nobody standing in line for the job.If a judge worked every one of the 150 days of racing he would gross what,34000$ a year ? And drive 20 to 30 thousand miles a year to make it.You wonder why there are no judges here? I hope this puts it into perspective,I would know.Thank You.

Capt Lou

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2021, 06:02:12 AM »
There are more trained and certified judges in Maine than you know. But they are not used They hire who they want and sometimes it comes down to a personality contest. Judges shouldn’t have a agenda 5hey have to stick to  judges that go all week and don’t make any calls are worst for the product   To just sit there and not get involved is more bias than doing your job 

cornishcommish

• Open / FFA
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2021, 06:42:52 AM »
There are more trained and certified judges in Maine than you know. But they are not used

Besides the ones I have named........can you list the ones I have missed ??

Capt Lou

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2021, 06:50:23 AM »
I can tell you there are more working that are NOT licensed as judges than ones that are certified judges   Pathway information is public

Capt Lou

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2021, 07:25:57 AM »
Probably the real reason is the commission. They don’t make these. Venues use certified judges because it’s just easier  judges don’t get involved there are no appeals or paperwork on their end. Less hassle and things go smoothly for them   Part of the real reason they want to change Lasix rules in Maine is the convience of not getting up in the morning to make 11 post  and the commission head has said publicly that he “was not worried about integrity “ when racing   So it is easy to just “bless someone “ into being a judge  the public will
Never know until your on the bad side of a call.  But if no calls are ever made then we all get along.  The hell with integrity. “ can’t hit them if you can see them “

Capt Lou

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2021, 07:59:13 AM »
Also if you put judges that , don’t know the rules, or don’t call the rules , or don’t want to get involved “ which I have heard that line from some of them “ than you in essence don’t have any rules.  And no ones feeling are hurt   But who suffers because of it ?

June b

• 4 claimer
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2021, 12:40:45 PM »
Presiding judges missed. Sawyer dubreil and dunfy all very capable  judges!

Capt Lou

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2021, 12:47:11 PM »
Yo name a few

oldjohn123

• 4 claimer
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2021, 10:39:57 PM »
Presiding judges missed. Sawyer dubreil and dunfy all very capable  judges!
Are they PJS?

chief yogi

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2021, 12:26:40 AM »
most of the maine judges are not very capable.  also the venues themself have a say in who will be hired. wedall would make a good judge but it matters who makes the decesion for each fair. and lou is right that some members of the commission could care less about integrity. easy as a state employee to just think that way. right now the fairs are all out to just staff the booth, mr magoo would be a pj if available.  of course all the venues could help by seeing that phones radios ectra work for their judges.

Capt Lou

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2021, 04:13:50 PM »
Training and certification is what makes them capable    Unlicensed judges are just that not capable.  Judges may be able to do the job. But prove it by taking and passing the tests and then PAY for a license you deserve. It is not fair for a person that doesn’t even have a licence to correct someone who does.  Judges should be held to a higher standard

Capt Lou

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2021, 08:43:58 PM »
Again look at the roof in Windsor unlicensed judges again. But the commission allows it

chief yogi

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2021, 12:05:38 AM »
judges should be held to a higher standard. lou nailed that. when i started this thread it was about integrity. i know everyone who has been a judge in maine, most are good people but integrity means standards need to be met. that also includes perception by the public. cherrie cushing is very capable but should never have run a horse at union while a judge. some others have had histories that enough people know that should dq them from judging. the rest if you dont have a license than why does the commission alow them to judge? well we heard it straight from their own mouth. not worried about integrity.

Wendall Tilley

• Open / FFA
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2021, 06:44:19 AM »
Who is unlicensed at Winsor? I can say one thing, there are some on the track that shouldnt be licensed.They cant get licensed anywhere else.Horse racing is not a church function never was never will be.Dont lose sight of that.If you want integrity play the stock market LOL.Thats always on the up and up.NOT !

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
  • Indian24: Herpes can be treated but will always be with you  ngc3
    May 06, 2024, 10:11:57 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Where in the world did this rash come from?
    May 06, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal