Author Topic: Experience with Broken Sesamoid?  (Read 6543 times)

The Exporter

• Elite
Re: Experience with Broken Sesamoid?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 06:19:35 PM »
Technology  and many other things have changed over the years. My experience has been the not the mending of the bone but, the deep flexor tendon. Sooner or later, they often blow a suspensory after healing from a broken sesamoid. Now we are talking two years and a much slower horse.

Carnival People

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 03:35:08 AM »
I have a 2yr old that was diagnosed today with a broken sesamoid. It’s the top bone, so the vet says it’s operable. She been in training 4 months and shows talent. Hoping to hear from the experience of others - should we operate, and if so, what are the chances of a successful recovery?

Please listen to me.  Some people on here are using all kinds of vet-speak because they like to hear themselves talk and sound like they're Bob Baffert.  That's why they post on horseplop and aren't already at the barn.   Let me tell you what you've got here and please pay attention.  I've been doing this for the greater part of my close to 80 years.

Getting a young one to the races as an actual competitor is hard to do from the get to. The odds of success are against you regardless of breeding or conformation or "talent".  It's just the law of averages.   Stuff goes wrong.If every baby made it to the races you could never get your horse in the box. 

First off, "showing talent" means nothing.  Everyone says (or is told) that their baby shows talent.  It means nothing.  I have told 100 owners since 1968 to stop telling people that their baby has talent because they will always look like an ass. 

The juveniles who go on to be solid raceway stock are usually kind of ordinary or not outstanding  until they get to the races.  They go through their training and then one day they just click but you should never expect that click to mean anything until it happens in a baby race or a few races into their career.  If you make it to the baby races you already beat the odds big time.  If a horse has real ability it will show in the first few races.  Not always, but after so many long years this has been the way it almost always works.  The really talented ones always surprised me to some extent and even then something could go wrong.  Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Most babies you see at the sales, especially the high-ticket ones, do not make it to the races for various reasons.  The most grim reason is that they break down.  Soft tissue break downs are the sure fire end of the road.  How can you expect a baby who bows or pulls a suspensory or check ligament to go on to a racing career when the injury happened under far less stressful circumstances?   The fact that your filly broke a sesamoid early usually means that she wasn't physically ready to do the things she was asked to do or she has a  flaw in her conformation or gait that caused it to happen.  The other reasons are usually bad horsemanship which is far too common or a plain old accident.

Examples would be how every young one I had who bowed or showed any tendon trouble early on, no matter how much time they got off, would start to get the same injury as soon as they started training back at any appreciable speed.   A cracked sesamoid is a little different but the same law of averages applies.

There are no injections or magic potion that do anything. Ignore anyone who tells you that.  If the sesamoid is operable you should get it screwed back together and wait.  When I say wait I mean WAIT.  My best guess is that your filly will recover but the odds of her being a racehorse are close to zero.  I know an old-timer whose filly had two screws and he waited long enough for her to have a foal and raise it before trying to get her back.  She looked good too but in her qualifier she bowed the opposite tendon.  You're never going to get ahead of nature. People talk about the old osteum or the new Boniva kind of things but that's a crock. 

If this happened to an open pacer or trotter he or she might come back as a 10 claimer, but a baby in training is a whole different situation.  It's like a car that shakes at 20 mph.  What's going to happen when it has to go 60 or 70.  It's different when these things happen to a seasoned racehorse because they are already THERE.  You're not even THERE and you already have a potentially catastrophic injury.  You have to be realistic.

I don't know what kind of filly we're talking about here but if she has great breeding and some size you should get the sesamoid repaired surgically and breed her or sell her to someone who will breed her.  I only say this because I wouldn't want her to end up on a meat hook.   

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 05:59:00 AM »
 Word

TTitans1

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 06:05:38 AM »
Good explanation Carnival. I said to get rid of her but didn`t have the time to type that much. Tough injury at any age, wicked starting out with one at 2.

Seamus11

• Open / FFA
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 06:46:49 AM »
Carnival....That was the BEST post I’ve ever read on this degenerate site.  It’s very obvious this man knows what he writing.  I’d take his advice.

the master

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2021, 08:42:55 AM »
I, too have many horses with sesamoids over my 5 decades as a trainer!  It's not like you claimed her and she has been dealing with sesamoiditis (the degeneration or decalcification of the sesamoid bone) for a period of time in which case you cautiously manage her and try to find her a new address!  A fracture of that area of the fetlock, before her career even gets underway, is 95% of the time doomed for failure!  The surgery alone will cost and is almost sure to cause scar tissue to form which will cause big problems with the ligaments where they ride over the area!  Save the misery and funneling of your money and move on!

nonopedojoe

• NW-1
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2021, 09:03:32 PM »
I have 1 word for you Alpo.

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2021, 03:23:33 AM »
I love all these people coming on here telling this mate to give up on her and get rid of her because he is gonna lose money. Do you people even hear what you are typing? If anyone, I MEAN ANYONE, had a lick of common sense when it came to finances, they wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole, yet everyone on here is a financial genius. you got money invested and if you want to do it, spend a little more and go for it. All that matters is the quality of the procedure, your horses individual body healing and acclamation and determination combined with patience and experience and a little faith. It comes down to, there is no right answer, but whats right for you and your situation.
I don't claim to be an expert on anything. Just responding to the persons question with my experience. Take the advisement or not. Now, I seriously doubt, with your experience, you would buy this 2 year old from him and invest your time and money, "patience, experience and a little faith". A person of your savvy would probably pass.

the master

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2021, 08:33:12 AM »
I love all these people coming on here telling this mate to give up on her and get rid of her because he is gonna lose money. Do you people even hear what you are typing? If anyone, I MEAN ANYONE, had a lick of common sense when it came to finances, they wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole, yet everyone on here is a financial genius. you got money invested and if you want to do it, spend a little more and go for it. All that matters is the quality of the procedure, your horses individual body healing and acclamation and determination combined with patience and experience and a little faith. It comes down to, there is no right answer, but whats right for you and your situation.

Shut up you moron!  The guy is asking for perspectives from various readers!  He can now pick his own poison!

Atthetrack7

• Stakes Horse
  • saying the things DZ wishes he had the BALLS too
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2021, 08:53:31 AM »
 NONE OF YOU IDIOTS CAN BE TRUSTED, YOU ARE ALL LOSERS WHO PLAY VETS ON HORSEPLOP

harnesstimes

• Open / FFA
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2021, 09:13:24 AM »
GUYS WHO PRETEND TO BE A VET SHPULD BE BANDED
HRSEPLP.CM

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »
Please listen to me.  Some people on here are using all kinds of vet-speak because they like to hear themselves talk and sound like they're Bob Baffert.  That's why they post on horseplop and aren't already at the barn.   Let me tell you what you've got here and please pay attention.  I've been doing this for the greater part of my close to 80 years.

Getting a young one to the races as an actual competitor is hard to do from the get to. The odds of success are against you regardless of breeding or conformation or "talent".  It's just the law of averages.   Stuff goes wrong.If every baby made it to the races you could never get your horse in the box. 

First off, "showing talent" means nothing.  Everyone says (or is told) that their baby shows talent.  It means nothing.  I have told 100 owners since 1968 to stop telling people that their baby has talent because they will always look like an ass. 

The juveniles who go on to be solid raceway stock are usually kind of ordinary or not outstanding  until they get to the races.  They go through their training and then one day they just click but you should never expect that click to mean anything until it happens in a baby race or a few races into their career.  If you make it to the baby races you already beat the odds big time.  If a horse has real ability it will show in the first few races.  Not always, but after so many long years this has been the way it almost always works.  The really talented ones always surprised me to some extent and even then something could go wrong.  Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Most babies you see at the sales, especially the high-ticket ones, do not make it to the races for various reasons.  The most grim reason is that they break down.  Soft tissue break downs are the sure fire end of the road.  How can you expect a baby who bows or pulls a suspensory or check ligament to go on to a racing career when the injury happened under far less stressful circumstances?   The fact that your filly broke a sesamoid early usually means that she wasn't physically ready to do the things she was asked to do or she has a  flaw in her conformation or gait that caused it to happen.  The other reasons are usually bad horsemanship which is far too common or a plain old accident.

Examples would be how every young one I had who bowed or showed any tendon trouble early on, no matter how much time they got off, would start to get the same injury as soon as they started training back at any appreciable speed.   A cracked sesamoid is a little different but the same law of averages applies.

There are no injections or magic potion that do anything. Ignore anyone who tells you that.  If the sesamoid is operable you should get it screwed back together and wait.  When I say wait I mean WAIT.  My best guess is that your filly will recover but the odds of her being a racehorse are close to zero.  I know an old-timer whose filly had two screws and he waited long enough for her to have a foal and raise it before trying to get her back.  She looked good too but in her qualifier she bowed the opposite tendon.  You're never going to get ahead of nature. People talk about the old osteum or the new Boniva kind of things but that's a crock. 

If this happened to an open pacer or trotter he or she might come back as a 10 claimer, but a baby in training is a whole different situation.  It's like a car that shakes at 20 mph.  What's going to happen when it has to go 60 or 70.  It's different when these things happen to a seasoned racehorse because they are already THERE.  You're not even THERE and you already have a potentially catastrophic injury.  You have to be realistic.

I don't know what kind of filly we're talking about here but if she has great breeding and some size you should get the sesamoid repaired surgically and breed her or sell her to someone who will breed her.  I only say this because I wouldn't want her to end up on a meat hook.

excellent reading ..excellent post

.. tmbz1
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2021, 01:33:47 PM »

Shut up you moron!  The guy is asking for perspectives from various readers!  He can now pick his own poison!
Quite a sensitive scumbag, aren't you?

Pockets

• NW-1
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2021, 10:27:04 PM »
Operating is the best way to go .had many come back good more successful if the break is at the top of the bone good luck

FirstUpFrom8Hole

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2021, 10:48:13 AM »
There are a few true horsemen on "this worthless forum" - as luc would say - who know their stuff and Carnival People is one of them. Hes taking the time to give good advice and while its your own decision on what to do it is beneficial to listen.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    Today at 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    Today at 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    Today at 09:09:09 AM
  • Indian24: Herpes can be treated but will always be with you  ngc3
    May 06, 2024, 10:11:57 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Where in the world did this rash come from?
    May 06, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal