Author Topic: Should they take away the whip?  (Read 2446 times)

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
Should they take away the whip?
« on: November 17, 2023, 10:51:49 PM »
Constantly seeing fines for excess whipping. Some with multiple fines and violations and since they're making no head way with the whipping infractions imposed.

My question is: Do drivers really need to carry a whip?  The industry is under a microscope right now with all the druggers being exposed wouldn't it be a good idea as to just ban the whip? I see where Ceba Horsey has gotten another whipping fine. When is enough just enough?   I know gamblers like seeing the driver carving away in a tight finish, but with today's perception with animal cruelty why not just ban whips?

Just my opinion. Thoughts?

11.wp
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

bello

• Elite
Re: Should they take away the whip?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 10:57:56 PM »
Top drivers don't need a whip. I just watched a race from Cal Expo and it looke3d to me like the drivers were not carrying whips.

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 11:02:07 PM »
Constantly seeing fines for excess whipping. Some with multiple fines and violations and since they're making no head way with the whipping infractions imposed.

My question is: Do drivers really need to carry a whip?  The industry is under a microscope right now with all the druggers being exposed wouldn't it be a good idea as to just ban the whip? I see where Ceba Horsey has gotten another whipping fine. When is enough just enough?   I know gamblers like seeing the driver carving away in a tight finish, but with today's perception with animal cruelty why not just ban whips?

11.wp

Go watch some replays when Stanley Dancer drove many years ago and compare this to the 'slashers' of today?

Would they fine/suspend perhaps permanently ban Dancer today (regardless of him being in the HOF)?

There are ways to use a whip without being abusive.  The sad part about this the 'hackers'/"slashers" don't want to learn how to drive!

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 11:03:03 PM »

11.wp
Absolutely no need for a whip. Several countries race without one. Also, the fine and suspension list every week is embarrassing. Maybe they can make a rule that if you are caught using the whip excessively, you can't drive for 30 days with one. The program can have a NW next to drivers name designating "no whip".

IL guy is retired

• Stakes Horse
  • horses make the humans not the other way around
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 11:13:28 PM »
Whips are a part of the game. Excessively beating on one should be fined. Just my 2 cents
Horses make the humans, not the other way around.

wizardofoz

• Open / FFA
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 11:33:41 PM »
People do NOT want to see horses being hit.  Get rid of them.

Six Pence

• NW-1
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 08:57:00 AM »
Once more, people want a simple answer for a problem that is really quite complex.  Years ago, no trainer would be caught on the track without a whip.  Now not so much.  The last horse I trained, I carried a whip the first few times and never carried one after because I sensed that she resented it.  The mare is now racing with over a hundred thousand on her card and if the driver wants to stiff her, he merely has to hit her once.  All horses are different....trit e but true.  There are some top horses racing today that you may not have ever heard of if the driver couldn't use a whip.  Years ago, if a driver brought a horse back to the paddock without a few marks, the trainer thought that he hadn't tried to win and if the driver wasn't carving on one in the homestretch the gamblers thought he had money on the race.  Years ago, Fern Paquet got days for whipping a horse 58 times from start to finish and the horse had the marks to prove it.
The judges counted by replaying the race in slow motion.  Don't forget that whips have other uses than
merely tools of abuse.  Maybe the drivers should each be given a "hot shot" instead of a whip.  It wouldn't be as obvious as a whip and everyone could sleep well at night. (lol)

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 09:29:18 AM »
Whips should be things of the past. Horses are trained to go fast on their own. Horses are stressed enough in a race.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 09:39:28 AM by Open bridle »

sidetracker

• NW-1
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 09:58:30 AM »
Forty years ago,  I counted Pocono Downs driver Jack Spino hitting a horse twenty-nine times through the stretch to get him home first. It was like a Gatling Gun. I was really impressed...then. Now, I'd probably fine him and give him days myself.

Ramone

• Top Claimer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 10:27:47 AM »
There are some top horses racing today that you may not have ever heard of if the driver couldn't use a whip.

I don't believe the above is true. I come from the whip happy era and I myself thrashed away with enthusiasm. Now I'm a non-driver and never ever carry a whip and I strongly believe that a whip is not in my best economic interest. Pretty much if you give a horse the tools, they will move forward with vigor. If they are under trained or over classified they can't do it.
Still, the whip can be a useful aid if used as an aid and not as some sort of absurd punishment. Dexter Dunn and James MacDonald are useful examples. But tracks have a pile of morons who unlikely to show restraint.

Yonkers1A

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 02:25:00 PM »
Should stick with kicking only

Bitter Truth

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 02:44:49 PM »
Mike LaChance woud let one have it good once, then he would just make sure they saw it after that. They got the message the first time usually. ;D

Harness racer

• Elite
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 02:47:24 PM »
Didn't Yannick have to beat the hell out of TDS to get him to go now and then?

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2023, 03:33:07 PM »
I swear Case in his prime has a zapper in his boot!

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2023, 03:43:44 PM »
Billy Haughton drove Handle With Care without a whip. She ended up being one of the greatest race mares ever.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal