Author Topic: Where's the money coming from  (Read 3001 times)

Way to go

• Top Claimer
Where's the money coming from
« on: February 20, 2024, 09:35:05 AM »
In Delaware there are a lot of up and coming trainers ,but I would like to know where certain people are getting money from to claim hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of horses.....a few years ago this same question was asked on this site about Tyler Davis.....now his brother Brendan Davis is the latest entrepreneur.

During a recent POSTTIME interview Brendan said that he had worked for the local AMISH for four years before becoming a new trainer...boy the AMISH must really pay a lot

Brown jug

• Elite
Re: Where's the money coming from
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 10:30:01 AM »
amish have cash , lots of it

MOHAWK FREAK

• 4 claimer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 05:44:47 PM »
It’s called investing. Harness racing is the future.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 07:20:04 AM »
It’s called investing. Harness racing is the future.
Ha! Harness racing is the future? Future what? The entire sport is on life support.

Ramnap

• NW-1
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 07:41:55 AM »
Ha! Harness racing is the future? Future what? The entire sport is on life support.
[/quote

It's following dog racing down the drain unfortunately. The last few times I saw dog racing live two trainers raced and filled the 9 race card. There were 7 of us in the grandstand.  As soon as only the top trainers and owners are left and they have to race multiple horses in short fields like they are doing already it's over. The 50 and over trainers and the 70 and older owners are 80 percent of the sport. Australia, NZ, IR and maybe Canada will be racing in 6 years, not the US.

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 09:13:16 AM »
money is coming from Abe Stotzfus, Eli Yoder, Herman Miller, Wilmer Smith, Amos Schumacker, Gideon, Jacob Smucker, Jonas Kauffman, and so on. ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Harness racer

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 09:33:07 AM »
A couple new investors to the game!

Wilma Fingerdo and Hugh Janis

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 09:33:19 AM »
money is coming from Abe Stotzfus, Eli Yoder, Herman Miller, Wilmer Smith, Amos Schumacker, Gideon, Jacob Smucker, Jonas Kauffman, and so on. ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
What do those names seem to have in common? I wonder...

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 10:45:57 AM »
laugh all you want about harness racing and i am first to agree it is far from perfect
but if you have some spare cash why not , you buy a decent bred horse for $50-$75 k  giver it to a decent trainer and hope for the best
many of the top horse were bought for that amount of money and made over a million and some even went to stud
of course its a long shot but so are most things

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 11:44:35 AM »
In Delaware there are a lot of up and coming trainers ,but I would like to know where certain people are getting money from to claim hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of horses.....a few years ago this same question was asked on this site about Tyler Davis.....now his brother Brendan Davis is the latest entrepreneur.

During a recent POSTTIME interview Brendan said that he had worked for the local AMISH for four years before becoming a new trainer...boy the AMISH must really pay a lot

It's only a matter of time before they blow the lid off the Davis operation. As soon as someone gets on the racing board that gives a shit about false ownership and traces the $$$. That will end.

They are spending 100's of thousands of dollars and no way Allan and others are not involved with ownership. jmo
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 11:50:24 AM »
to be clear i am not familiar with the dover downs situation
 my comments are more directed to the sport in general and why people invest

JENNY FROM THE BLOCK

• Top Claimer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 12:28:09 PM »
i cant wait until he dies go down because im going down as trainer for him.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 01:05:11 PM »
You want to know the easy way to make a million dollars in the harness racing business? Start with $2 million!

I would suspect that 90% of the people in this business lose money over the course of time. While that creates an opportunity for the other 10%, it is reflective that unless you know what you are doing, treat it like a business, operate and run it as a business, have a business model, etc., unless you get lucky, you are going to lose money. It is much harder to make money in this business today than it was 30 years ago. Period.

You will always have certain owners, who have certain business models, who are long term players in the game. Could be an owner (racing), breeder, combination of the two, etc. George Segal was one, who is now downsizing and getting out of the business for the most part for estate planning purposes, as his kids are not involved, etc. Al Libfeld and Marvin Katz are another. Ted Gewertz, Marty Granoff, Jerry Silva, and others. The Burke partners are others. All long time players in the game for the last 20, 30, even 40  years. Today, there's a host of new owners and breeders. Some will be flashes in the pan, some may have staying power. Who knows. It's like any other business and the players in it.

However, there will still be your bread and butter owners, the everyday owner who owns or horse or two, maybe three, whatever, that play a major role in this business. This business and this sport will be long after anyone else here.

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 02:00:15 PM »
I met an Amish fellow from Indiana who was interested in buying a few good horses. When we got a few picked out he asked me to come and get the money. He told me to have a seat and he would be right back.Two minutes later he reappeared with 245k in a cardboard box! After this transaction I only called him Sir until he passed!

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2024, 03:49:10 PM »
I met an Amish fellow from Indiana who was interested in buying a few good horses. When we got a few picked out he asked me to come and get the money. He told me to have a seat and he would be right back.Two minutes later he reappeared with 245k in a cardboard box! After this transaction I only called him Sir until he passed!

Cool story!
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    Today at 08:00:06 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal