Author Topic: Hawthorne talk  (Read 2915 times)

Smalltimer7932

• Stakes Horse
Hawthorne talk
« on: August 25, 2018, 05:44:54 PM »
It seems he's got some iffy favorites at best tonight  he'll probly win his usual 3or4 . however others have some good pic up drives or driver changes smolin you got some live horses tonight let's hope in top two at odds and wilfong as well  some good win horses to beat Casey's steeds at odds ....no doubt Casey will be favorite in at least 7races in tonight's card . Let's make some money tonight guys good luck to all 😂😁😉

swoodall

Re: Hawthorne talk
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
I've said this before but Casey either wins 5-6 on a card or ZERO! :1

Rarely does he win just one. 11.wp

If he starts the night out dead last on the rail at the 1/2 again then you know his game plan for the night. tmbz1

swoodall

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 05:55:36 PM »
In his third year driving, Juan Franco finds good stride
Saturday, August 25, 2018 - by Nicolle Neulist, for the Illinois Harness Horsemen's Association

Hinsdale, IL --- Juan Franco began driving in races in 2016, starting with his first qualifier in January. He made his first pari-mutuel start on May 13, driving Fox Valley Ruby for Donald Freese. He got his first win nine days later for trainer Nelson Willis, driving Parklane Dragon to victory. From there, he won $299,802 in purses last year, his first full year driving in pari-mutuel races.

Even though it is only mid-August, he is already prepared to eclipse that figure. As of Aug. 21, he has 39 wins in 514 purse starts, and has captured $290,938 in purses.

Most of his starts have come in Illinois, mainly at Hawthorne, though some at Springfield as well. He has also traveled to drive for Nelson Willis at both Miami Valley Raceway and Hoosier Park, finishing in the money outside of Illinois with Oh Josephine, Delight Fashion, and Jewel Maker. Franco enjoys all of his opportunities to drive, but being here is particularly special because it has become his home.

"I love Hawthorne. This is my place. I really enjoy my time racing horses here in Illinois."

Born in Guatemala, Juan Franco spent time around horses from an early age, though Standardbreds were not his first breed.

"I grew up with horses in my country. My dad had horses. I'd ride the Quarter Horses for him."

When he moved to the United States, he wasn't yet fluent in English, but already knew horses well, so he began by hot-walking Thoroughbreds at Hollywood Park.

He then decided to come to Chicago, since he had a brother-in-law who lived in the area and worked in harness racing. He began with trainer Donald Freese, though his driving ambitions were not kindled until a few years later, when he was working for trainer Nelson Willis, training and jogging horses.

"Nelson Willis said that I had a little talent as a driver. He said, how can we make you a driver? I studied the books, I passed my test, and now I am a driver."

On Aug. 4, Franco drove into the Hawthorne history books. In that evening's Open Trot he drove Jim Eaton trainee Walter White, who went off at odds of 9-1 behind the summer's usual suspects at that level, the likes of Anna's Lucky Star, Primed N Powerful, and Picky Picky Valor. Drawn wide and parked through the first turn, he seized the lead into the backstretch and never let it go. He drew off to win by 3-1/2 lengths in 1:53.3, tying the older trotter mark set by Dink Adoo on July 15, 2005.

The track record journey was the first time Franco had driven Walter White.

"This is an amazing horse, with a real good trainer," said Franco. "We were talking about the race, about five minutes before the race. That's it. I knew I had a good horse -- that's the only thing I knew. I've got to give him a chance to win, or get a check. All the race, it worked out, it looked like I had to go to the front. I didn't expect he'd go that fast. But, the horse impressed me. He's an amazing horse, he can handle that. He worked hard, and made me look good."

Walter White is not his only triumph. This summer at Hawthorne, Franco has made his mark driving longshots to sparkling performances.

Franco also had a breakout run on the pacing side earlier this meet, when he drove Roshun Trigg trainee Ryans Mistress to a clean sweep of the David Magee, a late closer for ICF 3- and 4-year-old fillies who were non-winners of $10,000 as of March 31 of this year. Leading into the series, the daughter of Ryan N Hanover was hardly fancied. Let off at 27-1 odds, she rallied to win by 1-1/4 lengths despite being parked the whole second turn.

That would be the closest anyone in the series would get to Ryans Mistress at the wire.

A week later she unleashed her stretch kick to win by 1-3/4 lengths, despite again drawing relatively wide and being parked the second turn. In the final -- the only leg in which Ryans Mistress went off the favorite -- he carved out that trip once again. Franco settled Ryans Mistress at the rear after drawing the outermost gate, and drove into the far turn parked but rallying behind live cover. The only difference was, they struck the front in upper stretch that time, and secured their greatest margin of victory all series long, 2-3/4 lengths.

Juan Franco's favorite part about his emerging driving career is the teamwork. He appreciates working with everyone responsible for developing and conditioning horses, and helping bring out their best potential on race day.

"It's a lot of fun. I like to work as a team: the groom, trainer, owner, and driver are like a whole team. It's a good sport. I have to give thanks to God for letting me do what I do right now. I'm happy with what I do."

oh canada

• Elite
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 06:01:57 PM »
I seen him win with a horse last night that was 1 for 79 lifetime and never hit the board in 28 starts over the last 2 years!! He opened at 5/2 and we were like what's up with ?? He went off at 7-1 and win by 6 lengths under a grip.......talk about form reversal!!  ngc3 nice job Franco.
Come with me to the "Darkside",its a matter of life or death!!

Smalltimer7932

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 08:38:40 PM »
Yes he can drive there is no doubt but he likes odds he rarely wins as favorite

seriously

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 09:28:10 PM »
I've said this before but Casey either wins 5-6 on a card or ZERO! :1

Rarely does he win just one. 11.wp

If he starts the night out dead last on the rail at the 1/2 again then you know his game plan for the night. tmbz1

Just like Morgan back in the day.   It's rather easy when that is in the equation.

Smalltimer7932

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 11:36:55 PM »
So far Casey 1win awesome day for others smolin and wilfong kicking some butt nice payoffs early .9th race yawner no one pulls lackey puts em to sleep

Smalltimer7932

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 11:39:16 PM »
Then Gary rath in a head scratcher???? babies are tuff to bet dang

Powerful Patricks Ghost

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 12:49:51 AM »
Hawthorne is such a joke of a product. Three horses have incident at top of the stretch and not a single inquiry.

Smalltimer7932

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 12:50:20 AM »
Yes well he lost that horse on the claim to roberts. Horse raced huge dropped a ton of time so will be dangerous if seen in the last few weeks of raceing here

Smalltimer7932

• Stakes Horse
When horses ship in from Hoosier to Hawthorne why do they run poorly?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 08:33:10 AM »
I have yet to figure this out I don't understand because trainers run horses at both tracks. Perry Smith Roberts Willis and a few others but when they run at Hoosier for a length of time and then they ship them here perfect example Peyton ode horse from last night number 7 Runs 148th mile at Hoosier and was finishing in the money and then races there comes here and doesn't get a check at a 1:51 mile and was passed by several lower-class horses any of you guys with more experience than me can explain I've gotten burned by shippers not performing.purses are higher and some better horses there  so showing up here should be class relief shouldn't it????

Smalltimer7932

• Stakes Horse
Chicago who lights it the last month to cash before there seasons over
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 10:44:30 AM »
With a month left who is going to tear it up and build up some cash before they have to go on their vacations .are the small barns and outfits going to start cashing or horses going to run big at good odds besides super night that's not that super anymore purses are way down again this year .

Powerful Patricks Ghost

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 09:52:10 PM »
Oosting crime syndicate in action race 5 tonight. Guy should be banned for life from parimutuel racing.

horses first

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 11:40:16 PM »
The 2 in the 10th at 55-1 looks lame as hell. Trying inside and outside 1 and 10. Both with win tags and ex box

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal