Author Topic: OLD DAYS ..when tellers gave out hot tips  (Read 3612 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Re: OLD DAYS ..when tellers gave out hot tips
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2023, 07:31:26 PM »
Nope  never heard of that tactic, but I totally believe you.

American Sniper

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2023, 09:30:05 PM »
 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3

Superfecta

• Elite
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2023, 10:01:57 PM »
One final story on this topic from me…About 1992 I flew to Miami for a 3-day business meeting at the Doral Hotel. I got in early so I went over to Flagler Dogs. Around race #4 I boxed 3-4-6 exacta for $2.00, $12.00 total. After most of the field imploded around the first turn I was left with two of my dogs way ahead and finished 3-4. The payout appears and it was over $7,500!! I took the entire exacta pool with the only winning combination. Now I go to collect and the teller says if I gave him 10% he wouldn’t have to report the winnings to the IRS. I have no idea how that could happen but I declined. I was afraid he was undercover or something and just ask for the net amount, they took out 20% back then, and I got a check. When I got back north a few friends this was a common tactic in those days. Has any other Plopper heard of this from years ago?

It was very common with guys just hanging around the windows after a big triple and they would sign for you and cash your ticket for the 10%.

harnessplop

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2023, 05:53:29 AM »
Good info guys

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2023, 09:55:11 AM »
Kinda teller related--
'78 Yonkers Friday night -- The place is packed. I'm on line to bet a Double, two guys in front of me -- Long Hair at the window -- Jittery chain smoker in front of me. 2 minutes to post -- Long Hair seems to be betting every possible combination. Jittery is rocking on his heels -- checking for an alternative window -- no such luck. 1 minute to post -- Long Hair is still punching -- now the verbals from Jittery -- "C'mom, c'mon, let's go, let's go. Long hair is still punching. Jittery unravels a pack of Camels from his t-shirt sleeve and lights one. Now they're at the gate -- Jittery screams -- "C'mon!" Long Hair is unfazed, still punching. Jittery flips his lighter and lights the back of Long Hair's hair. Long Hair exits the line screaming, racing through the grandstand trying to put out his hair. Jittery makes his bet and scampers off. I make my bet 2 seconds before getting shut out. I went back the next night -- place still reeked of burnt hair. Funny how you remember things.

FirstUpFrom8Hole

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2023, 10:00:59 AM »
Kinda teller related--
'78 Yonkers Friday night -- The place is packed. I'm on line to bet a Double, two guys in front of me -- Long Hair at the window -- Jittery chain smoker in front of me. 2 minutes to post -- Long Hair seems to be betting every possible combination. Jittery is rocking on his heels -- checking for an alternative window -- no such luck. 1 minute to post -- Long Hair is still punching -- now the verbals from Jittery -- "C'mom, c'mon, let's go, let's go. Long hair is still punching. Jittery unravels a pack of Camels from his t-shirt sleeve and lights one. Now they're at the gate -- Jittery screams -- "C'mon!" Long Hair is unfazed, still punching. Jittery flips his lighter and lights the back of Long Hair's hair. Long Hair exits the line screaming, racing through the grandstand trying to put out his hair. Jittery makes his bet and scampers off. I make my bet 2 seconds before getting shut out. I went back the next night -- place still reeked of burnt hair. Funny how you remember things.

ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3   

Did your bet win? Sometimes getting shut out is the best thing that can happen.

Emperor Dapple

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2023, 10:47:39 AM »
One final story on this topic from me…About 1992 I flew to Miami for a 3-day business meeting at the Doral Hotel. I got in early so I went over to Flagler Dogs. Around race #4 I boxed 3-4-6 exacta for $2.00, $12.00 total. After most of the field imploded around the first turn I was left with two of my dogs way ahead and finished 3-4. The payout appears and it was over $7,500!! I took the entire exacta pool with the only winning combination. Now I go to collect and the teller says if I gave him 10% he wouldn’t have to report the winnings to the IRS. I have no idea how that could happen but I declined. I was afraid he was undercover or something and just ask for the net amount, they took out 20% back then, and I got a check. When I got back north a few friends this was a common tactic in those days. Has any other Plopper heard of this from years ago?

yes it was legit... it was very common back in the day..guys who did this were known as 10 percenters... they'd buy at a discount and they paid no tax in the end as they would pick up losing tickets and offset the gains with losses ..on paper it was a wash.. so in the end even if they had to pay taxes upfront they'd get back their money when they filed their taxes..i guess it's still possible today but now that most bet online the days of picking up clumps of losing tickets are probably over

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2023, 05:38:06 AM »
ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3   

Did your bet win? Sometimes getting shut out is the best thing that can happen.

That part I don't remember.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: Noxema gives me a soothing rush
    May 12, 2024, 01:08:57 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Wouldn't know, never had a need for it
    May 12, 2024, 12:12:11 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Yes it still offers that same cool sensation.
    May 12, 2024, 09:49:40 AM
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    May 11, 2024, 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal