Author Topic: I got the horse right here...  (Read 1967 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
I got the horse right here...
« on: August 18, 2023, 07:37:05 PM »
Ok, Let's have some fun...
Tell me/us about the best tip you ever got in terms of it working out to where you won a lot of money ( or maybe a little ) Point is it worked out.
please no horses you were connected to - No O/T/D/G

Here's mine...

Mid 80s, fall meet just started at YR. Yves Filion just blew into town with a coterie of horses and an entourage of Frogs.
Saturday morning main track at YR was always busy with horses training for the following week, especially since most were off on Sundays.

I never acted like a leach, but always had my "ear to the ground" and new how to make complimentary small talk. I see a large man stopwatch in hand intently watching Yves go a trip, in a race bike, with a chestnut. The man is holding a stopwatch and as they finish the mile, he says out loud, "2.02, last quarter in 28.3" It turns out this man is Robert Tetrault, although I don't know it at the time.
I respond by saying something about how good he looked, blah, blah, blah. He turns to me matter of factly and say if i want to make some money Tuesday night, I should bet Yves' horses in the early double of the evening card. First race is the chestnut Riff Red. He has the 6 hole. Second race is the 8 - King Crombie. Then he looks me in the eye raise his finger like a professor and says "You must go to the track, don't bet off track because I only want you to bet if Ruff Red is wearing the same red and white shadow roll in the post parade that he is right now. If no shadow roll DONT BET A DIME!

I said Ty. He said dont mention it and walked away.

Tuesday night couldn't come fast enuf. Sure enough Ruff Red comes out wearing the red shadow roll. I put my plan into action. I was a 23 year old wanna be trainer who didnt have alot of money, but these horses were bombs so I did not need a lot to make a whole lot!
$60 to win on Ruff Red  $40 Daily Double 6 / 8. I wqs planning to bet another $40 on the second horse but if I hit the first race and was alive I would double that to $80

Ruff Red swept three deep down the back from third over in a live flow, circled every one and won easily through the stretch. Paid $36 and change to win My win ticket on him is $750 right there. I run to the screen to look at DD possibilities 6/8 is paying $386 which means it "took money" because it is at least $150 under the anticipated parlay.

King Crombie comes out, also wearing a red and white shadow roll. On his toes, ears spinning, etc

I run and bet the $80 to win even though my DD ticket is worth nearly $7,500.

Yves leaves the gate 100 mph. Quick top, yield, loose pocket, no ones coming gains a head of steam and charges out of the 2 hole mid turn and blows on by easily like a favorite. Pays like $37 to win. Almost Identical to the first race.

I am delirious but keep my composure. Everyone knows me there and I told no one except close family.

$750 first race, $7,500 on the DD, nearly $1,500 second race  Almost 10 LARGE for 180 investment and I was free rolling after the first race.

I saw Bobby Tetrault in the kitchen 2 mornings later and as I approached him making eye contact, he slowly raised a hand, kinda squeezed his lips together and smiled while slowly shaking his head back and forth as if to say "no need to say anything"

I know for a fact Yves and his entourage took a ton of cash out of YR during that meet, with help from some unusual places. But that's a different story.

100 percent true story

Thanks for readiing

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
Re: I got the horse right here...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 02:56:09 AM »
Told it once before, but fits in here nicely:

Early 1980's at the Meadowlands.  I had one of my trotters in a later race, but my trainer had another horse in the 2nd race.  I stopped by and my trainer had taken the night off (because he was screwing around...) and his assistant trainer was there (super nice guy!).  The assistant trainer told me that the 2nd race horse had been having air issues, but that he had worked him with a choke-can and the horse had been super...long odds.  Ben Webster drove for me and he was also driving the horse in the 2nd race.  I caught up with him as he came off the van back to the paddock and told him to drill the horse in the 2nd race.  Just take off and don't let anyone go.  I played $500 to win on him and took 3 other horses to use in the exacta and played each one both ways for $200 on each of 6 exactas for another $1200.    Thus a total of $1700 bet.  John Campbell had the rail with a 6 or 7-1 shot and Bennie shot this sucker out of the gate and took the top with Campbell riding under him.  That is the way they finished and I wound up with almost $25,000 as the win price was around $20.40 and the exacta was $202.00.  In those days you could really pump it into the window without shaking the board.  That was the most money I had bet and the most money I have ever won on a single race (although I hit a lot of big pick 4's and Superfectas in the 60's and 70's at RR.)
When I took the van back from the grandstand to the paddock, I met Benny on the landing that the van leaves from and gave him $6,000 in a "green handshake" and when he realized how much it was, I don't think he had ever gotten that kind of "tip" before; I gave BXX, the assistant trainer $2,000 and he was over the moon.  It could have been even a better evening but my trotter (whom I bet good money on) broke out of the gate and finished up the track.

kantseeback

• Elite
  • I'm voting for honest Joe and Mrs Canker Cackles
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 06:34:36 AM »
I guess enough time has passed to let me safely speak about this. back in the 80's I had a friend with connections with the guys with crooked noses. They got 2 tips, one was at Yonkers, Best Bullet with Joe Marsh Jr driving. Papa Herman led most of the race and then on the final turn Best Bullet made a 3 wide sweeping move and won paying 66.00 to win.
The 2nd tip was the next day at Aquaduct on the 9th race triple. My friend and I were non believers that they could rig a triple but it came in straight and neither one of us bet it. It only paid 167.00 but neverthless it was amazing it came in in the exact order they said it would.

HornbyDuke

• Elite
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 08:12:24 AM »
Paul revere. Nathan detroit gave me tip.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 09:32:47 AM »
I guess enough time has passed to let me safely speak about this. back in the 80's I had a friend with connections with the guys with crooked noses. They got 2 tips, one was at Yonkers, Best Bullet with Joe Marsh Jr driving. Papa Herman led most of the race and then on the final turn Best Bullet made a 3 wide sweeping move and won paying 66.00 to win.
The 2nd tip was the next day at Aquaduct on the 9th race triple. My friend and I were non believers that they could rig a triple but it came in straight and neither one of us bet it. It only paid 167.00 but neverthless it was amazing it came in in the exact order they said it would.
papa herman  owned by a now passed  friend of mine, Joe Chalesky and trained/driven by Lucien Fontaine

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 10:39:05 AM »
Ok, Let's have some fun...
Tell me/us about the best tip you ever got in terms of it working out to where you won a lot of money ( or maybe a little ) Point is it worked out.
please no horses you were connected to - No O/T/D/G

Here's mine...

Mid 80s, fall meet just started at YR. Yves Filion just blew into town with a coterie of horses and an entourage of Frogs.
Saturday morning main track at YR was always busy with horses training for the following week, especially since most were off on Sundays.

I never acted like a leach, but always had my "ear to the ground" and new how to make complimentary small talk. I see a large man stopwatch in hand intently watching Yves go a trip, in a race bike, with a chestnut. The man is holding a stopwatch and as they finish the mile, he says out loud, "2.02, last quarter in 28.3" It turns out this man is Robert Tetrault, although I don't know it at the time.
I respond by saying something about how good he looked, blah, blah, blah. He turns to me matter of factly and say if i want to make some money Tuesday night, I should bet Yves' horses in the early double of the evening card. First race is the chestnut Riff Red. He has the 6 hole. Second race is the 8 - King Crombie. Then he looks me in the eye raise his finger like a professor and says "You must go to the track, don't bet off track because I only want you to bet if Ruff Red is wearing the same red and white shadow roll in the post parade that he is right now. If no shadow roll DONT BET A DIME!

I said Ty. He said dont mention it and walked away.

Tuesday night couldn't come fast enuf. Sure enough Ruff Red comes out wearing the red shadow roll. I put my plan into action. I was a 23 year old wanna be trainer who didnt have alot of money, but these horses were bombs so I did not need a lot to make a whole lot!
$60 to win on Ruff Red  $40 Daily Double 6 / 8. I wqs planning to bet another $40 on the second horse but if I hit the first race and was alive I would double that to $80

Ruff Red swept three deep down the back from third over in a live flow, circled every one and won easily through the stretch. Paid $36 and change to win My win ticket on him is $750 right there. I run to the screen to look at DD possibilities 6/8 is paying $386 which means it "took money" because it is at least $150 under the anticipated parlay.

King Crombie comes out, also wearing a red and white shadow roll. On his toes, ears spinning, etc

I run and bet the $80 to win even though my DD ticket is worth nearly $7,500.

Yves leaves the gate 100 mph. Quick top, yield, loose pocket, no ones coming gains a head of steam and charges out of the 2 hole mid turn and blows on by easily like a favorite. Pays like $37 to win. Almost Identical to the first race.

I am delirious but keep my composure. Everyone knows me there and I told no one except close family.

$750 first race, $7,500 on the DD, nearly $1,500 second race  Almost 10 LARGE for 180 investment and I was free rolling after the first race.

I saw Bobby Tetrault in the kitchen 2 mornings later and as I approached him making eye contact, he slowly raised a hand, kinda squeezed his lips together and smiled while slowly shaking his head back and forth as if to say "no need to say anything"

I know for a fact Yves and his entourage took a ton of cash out of YR during that meet, with help from some unusual places. But that's a different story.

100 percent true story

Thanks for readiing

Great to hear these memories. Thats what makes racing interesting.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 11:00:23 AM »
love these stories
those were  the days

Meadow Ford

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2023, 12:06:09 PM »
You guys are way above my little league.
Most I ever bet was two weeks wages.
Late 60's
Blacksmith shop tip
Geo Sholty
Pompano FFA
He won, but I was so nervous that I never bet equal to two weeks wages again!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 12:08:16 PM by Meadow Ford »
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

FirstUpFrom8Hole

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2023, 12:46:44 PM »
These are great stories. I've seen similar things happen but I'm  not much of a betting man myself. The most i ever bet was 500 to win on myself on a horse i was driving that absolutely could not lose. Except if a newbie driver runs up on my back 100 yards from the finish and his horse gets his front leg stuck in my wheel. That pretty much soured me on the wagering aspect.

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2023, 01:10:54 PM »
papa herman  owned by a now passed  friend of mine, Joe Chalesky and trained/driven by Lucien Fontaine
There were a few notable speedballs in the lower ranks of the NY curcuit years ago.
Papa Herman was one , others I remember, Pocono Julio, The Penman, Pisco, Sea the USA, Mr AAA, There were a few notables on the trotting side too such as Fish Story

Superfecta

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2023, 02:47:05 PM »
At Monticello Raceway I had the pleasure of being on the line next to the race fixing degenerate Andrew. It was for the night time races so he didn’t have his private window. He was punching big tickets at Yonkers and the only number he didn’t use was Walter Case’s horse who was 1/5. I figured he paid Walter so I tossed him too and cashed some nice tickets.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2023, 04:07:35 PM »
There were a few notable speedballs in the lower ranks of the NY curcuit years ago.
Papa Herman was one , others I remember, Pocono Julio, The Penman, Pisco, Sea the USA, Mr AAA, There were a few notables on the trotting side too such as Fish Story
Ok so PENMAN was actually a 33k claimer for much of his life ended up in the lower ranks by age 7  Ed Frank jr a MYC cop and part time trainer / Driver  I used to paddock him for Eddie  He nipped alot and one time actually took a chunk out of eddies ribs as he casually walked by    Sea the USA was a very fast 3 year old who won the Cane Pace for Gerry procino  He was a pyscotic half chest nut who needed three people and a "rwicth stick " just to control him as he walked in the paddock and he would whinny and scream upon his arrival  Mr AAA was a nice claimer for Carmine   pisco does not ring a bell

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2023, 09:24:40 PM »
At Monticello Raceway I had the pleasure of being on the line next to the race fixing degenerate Andrew. It was for the night time races so he didn’t have his private window. He was punching big tickets at Yonkers and the only number he didn’t use was Walter Case’s horse who was 1/5. I figured he paid Walter so I tossed him too and cashed some nice tickets.
Back in the day I used to see Larry Rolla and his neck full of gold chains passing thru the rear door of the paddock into the grandstand to bet.
After the races they had simulcasting in the cafeteria and usually Rolla would be in there at a table with some drivers, also Howard Oil and his goofy looking friends used to be in there after the races

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2023, 09:28:04 PM »
I do know the people Howard used to hang with   they went back to his YR  RR days when he would be in the grandstand announcing race before they happened based on how he thought they would run

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    Today at 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
  • Indian24: Herpes can be treated but will always be with you  ngc3
    May 06, 2024, 10:11:57 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Where in the world did this rash come from?
    May 06, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal