Author Topic: Yonkers announcer  (Read 2729 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Re: Yonkers announcer
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2023, 02:59:04 PM »
Nancy left us way too early.
She was miserable and jealous of everyone. No one should die young, but.......

JL52

• Open / FFA
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2023, 03:44:52 PM »
Sorry to disagree, but Bob Meyer called every race exactly the same, whether International Trot or cheap claimer. And he might have said “ they’re heads apart”, but he never called a tight photo’s likely winner.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2023, 04:42:13 PM »
Pardon the interruption but who was Nancy Nachman?

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2023, 05:27:22 PM »
Pardon the interruption but who was Nancy Nachman?
She trained 70 thru 90s. Always female grooms including a pair of, I am sorry, unattractive twins. She had a core Jewish owner who I can picture, but his name escapes me. She was overweight, not friendly and coarse mouthed for a woman. Like a Sherry Lutman type.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2023, 05:29:48 PM »
Sorry to disagree, but Bob Meyer called every race exactly the same, whether International Trot or cheap claimer. And he might have said “ they’re heads apart”, but he never called a tight photo’s likely winner.
Well, I spent every single day and night at YR from 1975 to 2012 and yes he did use the "heads apart" but he called plenty just right. No biggie. He had a style that carried race to race but he got up for the big ones!

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2023, 05:35:26 PM »
She trained 70 thru 90s. Always female grooms including a pair of, I am sorry, unattractive twins. She had a core Jewish owner who I can picture, but his name escapes me. She was overweight, not friendly and coarse mouthed for a woman. Like a Sherry Lutman type.
Sounds like my kind of woman…lol

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2023, 06:21:42 PM »
Sounds like my kind of woman…lol
The overweight thing can be FUN, but not with her. They definitely made for an odd couple!
Someone said Bob Meyer was the target of some online slings and arrows. Hope not. Know anything about that, Lieutenant?

MR.DALRAE

• Living Legend
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2023, 07:37:22 PM »
George Anthony is there tonight,,,,,,Hit the mute button early ,,,,,Guy is god awful

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2023, 08:03:28 PM »
If allowed George Anthony can be quite a colorful race caller. But truthfully here is my take on all announcers..If I’m winning big they all sound good to me. If I’m losing big you can shoot them all as far as I’m concerned.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2023, 08:08:04 PM »
George Anthony is there tonight,,,,,,Hit the mute button early ,,,,,Guy is god awful
Don't say it! Love the King!

HornbyDuke

• Elite
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2023, 08:39:12 PM »
The overweight thing can be FUN, but not with her. They definitely made for an odd couple!
Someone said Bob Meyer was the target of some online slings and arrows. Hope not. Know anything about that, Lieutenant?

Online slings and arrows had nothing to do with a relationship. A social media site listed Bob as dead when still alive. And folks therein were discussing his decline as a horse announcer late in career after he left yonkers. My understanding was a little upsetting to Bob (as one would expect). Took his son interceding to clear up Bob still alive then. So now u know the rest of the story.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2023, 09:36:42 PM »
Bob Myers was subbing for Mike Sardella at Saratoga Raceway during his last years. Usually he called races on Sundays. The sound of his voice was very similar to his Yonkers nights but the strength was waning. Like all athletes his reaction times were slowing and there were times the horses names were problematic. Personally I enjoyed his Yonkers calls. He had a distinctive voice that if you closed your eyes you knew it was Yonkers Raceway.

getreal

• Open / FFA
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2023, 10:07:59 PM »
Somebody at Yonkers may want to tell the self proclaimed King that is isn't called a Big Triple anymore and hasn't for a very long time.
Him and his hair dye are living in the past. Needs to go

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2023, 10:26:46 PM »
Bob Myers was subbing for Mike Sardella at Saratoga Raceway during his last years. Usually he called races on Sundays. The sound of his voice was very similar to his Yonkers nights but the strength was waning. Like all athletes his reaction times were slowing and there were times the horses names were problematic. Personally I enjoyed his Yonkers calls. He had a distinctive voice that if you closed your eyes you knew it was Yonkers Raceway.
Like what you said about his voice. I always felt his calls were very detailed. painted a picture like a radio play by play guy. I can remember so many times being in the paddock, getting one ready or giving a bath or lined up, etc away from a tv and just from hearing the call of a race going on, I knew where each horse was at all times. That to me made him great.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • In It Deep: 11.tfk
    May 28, 2024, 07:54:33 PM
  • In It Deep: The Butt Nut
    May 28, 2024, 07:49:02 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
    May 24, 2024, 08:05:54 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: At least we agree it's a shithole
    May 24, 2024, 07:04:43 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: I think this shithole owns you!
    May 24, 2024, 09:30:25 AM
  • Michael Petrelli: Face it, I OWN THIS SHITHOLE of a forum.
    May 23, 2024, 09:35:08 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Itchy Kitties...
    May 22, 2024, 05:09:31 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Spew a little Spludge and the Pu$$y Cats are drawn to it lie a girl with baby rabies
    May 22, 2024, 01:37:15 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal