Author Topic: ? Clint Hodgins?  (Read 3347 times)

Meadow Ford

• Stakes Horse
Re: ? Clint Hodgins?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2023, 08:59:10 AM »
He wrapped himself in clear plastic bags to keep the rain out and still could see his colors.
No, but may have worked.
Hint
From the paddock office Clint went straight to the State Vet's office.
Hint
 The key is all black rain coat.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

cornishcommish

• Open / FFA
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2023, 09:02:02 AM »
He wrapped himself in clear plastic bags to keep the rain out and still could see his colors. The guy was a bust out
Here is another story  , about Clint , you will like

When Clint was in his prime in NY in the late 60's ,  2 young business men entered the business, bought a horse and gave it to Clint to train and drive.

First night  the horse is in to go and had drawn the 8 hole at Roosevelt: the 2 guys show up in the paddock , with their program.

They approach Clint...and one  guy said he has the strategy for their race

" You leave hard from the gate, and you should be able to find a hole 2nd or 3rd.  Sit till just after the half , then pull..and you should be able to get by the horses ahead of you "

Clint was calm...and slowly took off his gloves. He handed the gloves and his whip to the guy doing the talking.........a nd then he spoke

"I think you should drive the horse...and looking at the quiet guy..said  and while your partner is preparing for his drive , you should find a new trainer and a barn to take this horse after it races....I am going to tell the judges that I will not be training or driving this horses as of this moment "

And he walked away

Meadow Ford

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2023, 09:11:17 AM »
Yes!
Stories like this is why I read forums.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2023, 09:27:00 AM »
Here is another story  , about Clint , you will like

When Clint was in his prime in NY in the late 60's ,  2 young business men entered the business, bought a horse and gave it to Clint to train and drive.

First night  the horse is in to go and had drawn the 8 hole at Roosevelt: the 2 guys show up in the paddock , with their program.

They approach Clint...and one  guy said he has the strategy for their race

" You leave hard from the gate, and you should be able to find a hole 2nd or 3rd.  Sit till just after the half , then pull..and you should be able to get by the horses ahead of you "

Clint was calm...and slowly took off his gloves. He handed the gloves and his whip to the guy doing the talking.........a nd then he spoke

"I think you should drive the horse...and looking at the quiet guy..said  and while your partner is preparing for his drive , you should find a new trainer and a barn to take this horse after it races....I am going to tell the judges that I will not be training or driving this horses as of this moment "

And he walked away
They used to tell the same story about Carmine and Buddy....intercha nge any asshole trainer/driver name.....

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2023, 03:53:41 PM »
Clint once told me.  “Horses raised in Kentucky are beautiful but being they are raised on pretty flat land they have to be trained very carefully as the have very weak muscles “. Then almost like an afterthought he said. 
“They are paper cachet bastards”….

Maybe he had one just break down ???

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2023, 04:55:12 PM »
Clint once told me.  “Horses raised in Kentucky are beautiful but being they are raised on pretty flat land they have to be trained very carefully as the have very weak muscles “. Then almost like an afterthought he said. 
“They are paper cachet bastards”….

Maybe he had one just break down ???
Plain stupid.

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2023, 06:09:04 PM »
Well, he had a jog track in canada that was made with dips and rises in in so he was not just talking. 

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2023, 06:14:28 PM »
Well, he had a jog track in canada that was made with dips and rises in in so he was not just talking.
What does that have to do with a comment about fields in Kentucky.

Meadow Ford

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2023, 09:12:58 PM »
Mr. Clint Hodgins takes a young guy(me) to school.
Early 70's
Atlantic City Race Course.
Clint draws in the back tier.
I draw the three hole.
Shortly before the gate opens the 2 makes a bad break.
Clint from the back tier shoots the 2 hole, times the gate just right, and hangs me around the first turn.
I was so mad I swore I would never let that happen again, and it hasn't. From then on, if the horse just inside of me makes a bad break, I move in so no horse ever again from the back tier will ever beat me to the first turn.
Twenty years later I had learned my lessons well, and it was me first up the back stretch from the back tier.
 Could Clint and I have been fined for scoring out of position?
Yes, but if you time it right and not make it to obvious they most likely won't say anything.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 09:55:19 PM by Meadow Ford »

Larry Bird Boy

• Elite
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2023, 02:53:42 AM »
No, but may have worked.
Hint
From the paddock office Clint went straight to the State Vet's office.
Hint
 The key is all black rain coat.
Doesn’t matter sick gambler with a bad attitude. Nobody liked the ahole
Johnny Johnson fucked up Chicago harness racing. I hope you die !!!!

Meadow Ford

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2023, 07:56:16 PM »
Some of you may remember Clint Hodgins.
A big name tr/dr from the 60's and 70's,
and a real Racetrack Character!
He had a top FFA trotter. Regal something?

Early 70's.
Laurel Park.
Two year old trotting stake.
At warm up time it starts to rain.
Clint didn't bring his rain colors with him.
To warm up the horse ,but stay dry Clint borrows an all black rain coat from the groom.
Paddock Judge calls him in after the warm up trip, but before the race.
"Mr Hodgins distinquishing colors are required, We understand it is raining, but you can't race in an all black rain coat".
Clint doesn't want to get wet, but doesn't want to get fined by the judges  either.
What would you have done?
What did Clint do?
I will post on Monday the answer to what (life of the party) Clint did.
Please,
Lets hear your answers to what you would have done
Mr. Hodgins went straight to the State Vet's office.
He asked for and got a role of white adhesive tape.
He had the groom wrap a couple bands around his biceps, a couple over his shoulders, and a couple bands around his chest.
Bingo!
Distinquishing colors and everyone is dry and happy.

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2023, 08:30:06 PM »
I go back to the days of Nero, Nansemond and Albatross. Can you tell me about the one you mentioned above.

Jack Kopas drove Super Wave up until the time Clint got behind him. Was aged paced of the year at least two maybe three years in a row. Almost unbeatable at four and five. Larry Malar, Race Secretary at Roosevelt stated that he paced the fastest last eighth he had ever seen.  Fastest ever out of Shadow Wave. Down the ROAD on a Half and FOUR Wide on a Mile. He was a great race horse.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2023, 08:36:17 PM »
After RR closed and Donnie Sider fell out with his uncle, Buddy Gilmour, Donnie ended up with a few of his own horses and landed in my barn at YR  The Kopas's would send him 1 or 2 horses to help keep him going. One of them was Fog Patch - marble gray out of Laag - solid 33k claimer and I had one in that class too. The two horses were separated by 1 stall  Kopas Stable always a top notch outfit

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2023, 08:39:50 PM »
They used to tell the same story about Carmine and Buddy....intercha nge any asshole trainer/driver name.....

WOW ! On a first name basis huh.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2023, 08:42:11 PM »
WOW ! On a first name basis huh.
what do you mean "on a first name basis"?

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal