Author Topic: Aiken, SC  (Read 1782 times)

Janny

• Top Claimer
Aiken, SC
« on: March 11, 2024, 04:10:54 PM »
Are there many trainers there in the winter months still? When I was with Don Larlee many years ago, he would go there after leaving the October Red Mile meet.

old guy

• Stakes Horse
Re: Aiken, SC
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 05:55:14 PM »
Larlee ahh Bill Rosenberg. Later Cora Belle $$$

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 06:53:21 PM »
Aiken is famous for 'chasing.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 07:04:13 PM »
No, not many at all. Not like Pinehurst (NC). Rosy Weaver was still stabling at McGhee's (Mile) in 2022. She actually had a pretty big barn there. A few other trainers were there too, maybe about a half-dozen trainers. Not sure if Rosy or the others will still there last year.

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 07:05:04 PM »
Was Aiken SC 1 of the 2 rest stops when shipping from up north to Florida and vice versa??

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 07:11:09 PM »
Aiken Training Center is alive and well. Just had the annual matinee races here, yesterday. Horse population is way down in the passing years. Today, there are a little over 100 here, in training. The Queen of the red clay is Rosey Weaver. She has about 50 head on the grounds.
 Aiken may be the best bargain in winter training. Stall rent and use of the 1 mile and 1/2 mile red clay tracks along with the 7/8 mile sand track is, $150 a month.
Great restaurants, shopping and golf make it a nice place to spend the winter. No snow or ice. And, the Masters Golf Tournament is just 1/2 hour away.
Roger Huston was here to call the races for the 9th consecutive year.
 For those looking for Eric Goodell, he is a resident here and drove a few races yesterday. Rocky Ward had a nice 3yr. old filly pace in 1:58.3 yesterday. Fancy Dragon.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 07:15:21 PM by The Exporter »

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 10:15:51 PM »
Aiken Training Center is alive and well. Just had the annual matinee races here, yesterday. Horse population is way down in the passing years. Today, there are a little over 100 here, in training. The Queen of the red clay is Rosey Weaver. She has about 50 head on the grounds.
 Aiken may be the best bargain in winter training. Stall rent and use of the 1 mile and 1/2 mile red clay tracks along with the 7/8 mile sand track is, $150 a month.
Great restaurants, shopping and golf make it a nice place to spend the winter. No snow or ice. And, the Masters Golf Tournament is just 1/2 hour away.
Roger Huston was here to call the races for the 9th consecutive year.
 For those looking for Eric Goodell, he is a resident here and drove a few races yesterday. Rocky Ward had a nice 3yr. old filly pace in 1:58.3 yesterday. Fancy Dragon.

That's McGhee's training center (McGhee's Mile), right? Rosy was there is 2022 and I just asked a friend and he said she was there last year too. Mike Simons was there, and I think Jim Graham was there too.

Mr.Turnpike

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 01:30:19 AM »
Last time I was there it was run down
 Barns were falling down and the track had ruts
  I heard m.simmons is as there and left and went to pinehurst

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 06:07:42 AM »
Simmons was here last year and for a few weeks this year. Yes, the place is run down. They have been rebuilding barns as of late. New roofs and such. As for track conditions, a 3 year old pacing filly went in 1:58.3 wrapped up , Sunday.
Simmons did scoot off to Pinehurst.
To be fair, as much as the industry has shrunk in the past 20 years, I am surprised they are here at all. The Thoroughbred facility may have about 150 or so in training as well.
That includes all the wealthy stables that have their own property surrounding the training track and just use the track but stable at home.
They have their races this Saturday. The Aiken Trials. They draw about 7,000-10,000 fans.
The following Saturday is the Spring Steeplechase Races, they draw 30,000 to their brand new facility.
The horse is Aiken and well in Aiken. Polo matches almost every week, too.

ROOSTER COGBURN

• Open / FFA
  • A ROOSTER by any other name is just A COCK.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 08:42:38 AM »
That's McGhee's training center (McGhee's Mile), right? Rosy was there is 2022 and I just asked a friend and he said she was there last year too. Mike Simons was there, and I think Jim Graham was there too.
[/quote]

Yep. Great spot train in the mornings Wilcox Hotel Bar in the afternoon. Sort of a mini version of Saratoga.  Aiken is a shadow of its former self but still a major horse community for all disciplines. G.Peck was there for awhile even had a house in town painted in his stable colors.
Waiting for XYZ's grandiose return to his adoring fans. Its what the people want...

okdfool

• Open / FFA
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 12:23:57 PM »
Last time I was there it was run down
 Barns were falling down and the track had ruts
  I heard m.simmons is as there and left and went to pinehurst

It's pretty bad

Janny

• Top Claimer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 12:41:19 PM »
Thanks for the info. Cheers!

joemomma

• Elite
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 12:46:44 PM »
How old is Rosy Weaver? Been around forever.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 12:56:11 PM »
How old is Rosy Weaver? Been around forever.

I'd say she's about 40.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2024, 01:00:08 PM »
Quote from: ROOSTER COGBURN

Yep. Great spot train in the mornings Wilcox Hotel Bar in the afternoon. Sort of a mini version of Saratoga.  Aiken is a shadow of its former self but still a major horse community for all disciplines. G.Peck was there for awhile even had a house in town painted in his stable colors.

I was there a couple of years ago with Dave Miller. He came down for that matinee racing card. It was a fun day, everyone gets all geared up for it, the locals buy tickets and kind of tailgate (without getting massively drunk, LOL), and they really enjoy the day. Rosy had about 40 horses, maybe more. All trotters I think. I hit Pinehurst far more often, but Aiken was always nice.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: Noxema gives me a soothing rush
    Today at 01:08:57 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Wouldn't know, never had a need for it
    Today at 12:12:11 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Yes it still offers that same cool sensation.
    Today at 09:49:40 AM
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    May 11, 2024, 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal