Author Topic: It's good to be number 1  (Read 1690 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
It's good to be number 1
« on: October 26, 2023, 02:55:00 PM »
If someone were to ask me who the absolute top conditioner of Standardbreds in North America is, taking everything into account, his success with trotters being the tipping point, my answer would be Ake Svanstedt.

I am bracing for the onslaught of opinions and criticisms. So let loose guys...

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
Re: It's good to be number 1
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 03:04:51 PM »
I'd rather have Ron Burke's bank account. And yes, money is the only way to judge who is number 1.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 03:09:12 PM »
Ok  Not invalid tmbz1  I was just trying to weigh multiple criteria.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 03:11:21 PM »
Ok  Not invalid tmbz1  I was just trying to weigh multiple criteria.
This year, Ake is number 2.

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 04:02:47 PM »
I'd rather have Ron Burke's bank account. And yes, money is the only way to judge who is number 1.

Would you claim (buy) one off of Burke?

Anakin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 04:10:10 PM »
This has been covered several times previously. There are many horses who have improved after leaving his barn. Covered Bridge is one that comes to mind.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 04:17:22 PM »
I bought one privately off of Burke 4 months ago and so far I am eating him. However, he is only 4 and I expect he will eventually reach his potential. All he needs is throat surgery which is scheduled for early November.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 04:18:53 PM by MIKE CAMPBELL »

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 04:19:59 PM »
I bought one privately off of Burke 4 months ago and so far I am eating him. However, he is only 4 and I expect he will eventually reach his potential. All he needs is throat surgery which is scheduled for early November.

I like the honesty. Was he racing at the time of purchase?

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 04:41:25 PM »
I like the honesty. Was he racing at the time of purchase?
He was racing at The Meadows but as soon as I got him, I could tell he had an issue with his throat. He would constantly cough up little spitballs of hay which is usually a sign of an epiglottis issue. Also, after racing, he would have bloodshot eyes which is also an epiglottis issue due to carbon dioxide overload. What many don't understand is when a horse has a faulty epiglottis or in some cases, an entrapped one, a horse can inhale fine and gather all the air it needs, The problem is usually exhaling. By not ridding the lungs of the carbon dioxide after the gas exchange, a horse will start to experience dyspnea and will not finish. That is what I am dealing with. Although I have no scientific evidence to support my theory, I believe this issue is what eventually causes a horse to start bleeding. If you can correct the problem before they do start bleeding, you have a better chance of the horse being successful.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 05:06:50 PM by MIKE CAMPBELL »

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 05:13:24 PM »
He was racing at The Meadows but as soon as I got him, I could tell he had an issue with his throat. He would constantly cough up little spitballs of hay which is usually a sign of an epiglottis issue. Also, after racing, he would have bloodshot eyes which is also an epiglottis issue due to carbon dioxide overload. What many don't understand is when a horse has a faulty epiglottis or in some cases, an entrapped one, a horse can inhale fine and gather all the air it needs, The problem is usually exhaling. By not ridding the lungs of the carbon dioxide after the gas exchange, a horse will start to experience dyspnea and will not finish. That is what I am dealing with. Although I have no scientific evidence to support my theory. I believe this issue is what eventually causes a horse to start bleeding. If you can correct the problem before they do start bleeding, you have a better chance of the horse being successful.

I have heard this before but in more laymen's terms -- it's not the lack of air inhaled, but the inability to release it properly that slows a horse down. Never heard the bloodshot eyes -- very interesting.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 05:26:40 PM »
I have heard this before but in more laymen's terms -- it's not the lack of air inhaled, but the inability to release it properly that slows a horse down. Never heard the bloodshot eyes -- very interesting.
The eyes get bloodshot from the carbon dioxide that isn't being properly exhaled. My theory is that the dialation of blood vessels that are occuring around the membrane of the eye are also manifesting in the lungs as well and eventually they weaken and rupture.

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 05:37:47 PM »
If someone were to ask me who the absolute top conditioner of Standardbreds in North America is, taking everything into account, his success with trotters being the tipping point, my answer would be Ake Svanstedt.

I am bracing for the onslaught of opinions and criticisms. So let loose guys...
I agree.  His horses train in large groups 3 across over deep sand.  Endurance over speed early and they learn not to quit.

Old country training techniques. tmbz1

moelarrythecheese

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2023, 07:26:21 PM »
Fug, agree with you on Ake, if you’ve got the checkbook.

comeonman

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2023, 07:39:50 PM »
Any chance any of you pro trainers ever heard of Brett Pelling?  Just asking

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2023, 10:57:35 AM »
Top 2 picks for #1 trainer both on the Fines and suspension list this week. Lol

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal