Author Topic: Age is just a number after all  (Read 3437 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Age is just a number after all
« on: August 28, 2023, 07:43:24 AM »
On July 4th of this year an underrated, respected, horseman, trainer and driver from my growing up years at Foxboro/Rockingham, won his 2400th race. Admittedly, not an alarming number of wins, by today's standards, but a quality achievement given the era in which he raced. Here's the thing....His name is Bobby Tisbert, it happened at Plainridge in a pari-mutuel race and he is 86 YEARS OLD!!  In the picture of him, all alone in the stretch, his face, arms and the way he "sits a bike" looks like a man in his 50s.

Just a little feel good story in a dirty business, courtesy of the historian, Fuguzzi! ;D

gogasgoboom

• Top Claimer
Re: Age is just a number after all
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 11:57:06 AM »
If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you be? (Satchel Paige)

bestbetter

• Open / FFA
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 01:27:49 PM »
On July 4th of this year an underrated, respected, horseman, trainer and driver from my growing up years at Foxboro/Rockingham, won his 2400th race. Admittedly, not an alarming number of wins, by today's standards, but a quality achievement given the era in which he raced. Here's the thing....His name is Bobby Tisbert, it happened at Plainridge in a pari-mutuel race and he is 86 YEARS OLD!!  In the picture of him, all alone in the stretch, his face, arms and the way he "sits a bike" looks like a man in his 50s.

Just a little feel good story in a dirty business, courtesy of the historian, Fuguzzi! ;D
Wow, A feel good story on the plop... tmbz1

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 01:37:04 PM »
If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you be? (Satchel Paige)
As old as you feel.

FirstUpFrom8Hole

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 01:39:06 PM »
Wow, A feel good story on the plop... tmbz1

Just hang tight. Someone will come along and throw a shit bomb on it

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 01:41:19 PM »
Prolly Larry Bird Boy   lol

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 08:44:09 PM »

Sonny and his brother are good people. Terrific horseman. Nice post.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 08:47:16 PM »
Sonny and his brother are good people. Terrific horseman. Nice post.
Appreciate the compliment. I must be a little bit slow and it was a verrrry long time ago. I dont get the Sonny and his brother reference as it pertains to Robert Risbert. Was it a nickname? Can you explain? thanks again

Yonkers1A

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 09:14:10 PM »
I met Bob and his wife at Tioga a few years ago. Very nice people

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 09:41:36 PM »
i miss those days 79 to 81   Foxboro and Rockingham    The driver colony was sooo deep it was insane  Billy Parker,  Bruce Ranger  Leigh Fitch, Ken Heeney, John Marshall, Rheo Filion, Bobby Tisbert  Bert Beckwith  Jim and John Winters  Walter Case  John Hogan Steve Otoole  Bobby Cross, Jimmy Doherty, Mark Lancaster Richard Kent  WEndell Donaway Ernie Houle Garry Kamal Donald Guidette  Leo Bauer  John Becwith, William Silk, Billy Faucher  Billy O'donnell, Ted Wing   Can you beleive  I still say the greatest  driving colony ever pound for pound  The guys I listed and some I have forgotten have well over 100,000 combined wins

Saw amazing stretch duels at Foxboro   Bruce Ranger just 4 years older than me, but he was my idol

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 09:42:58 PM »
nice to hear that!  TY!

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 09:59:40 PM »
Appreciate the compliment. I must be a little bit slow and it was a verrrry long time ago. I dont get the Sonny and his brother reference as it pertains to Robert Risbert. Was it a nickname? Can you explain? thanks again
We knew him as Sonny back in the 70's it was his nickname. His wife Alice is a good women too.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 10:27:00 PM »
Cool   TY   Yes she is a very sweet lady   there is a foxboro remembrance page on Facebook where she is mentioned often
All my time, I never knew him as Sonny   interesting   ty    Do you remember John Hogan's longtime GF and trainer, Diane Hellen?

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 11:08:35 PM »
Cool   TY   Yes she is a very sweet lady   there is a foxboro remembrance page on Facebook where she is mentioned often
All my time, I never knew him as Sonny   interesting   ty    Do you remember John Hogan's longtime GF and trainer, Diane Hellen?
Hogan drove for me a few times. I thought he was kind of a cocky. No I didn’t know his girlfriend.

Was stabled at Rockingham for a while that was some crew!

Sonny had a brother in the game for a while back in the 70s, then he disappeared. I can’t remember his first name.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2023, 12:04:54 AM »
Hogan drove for me a few times. I thought he was kind of a cocky. No I didn’t know his girlfriend.

Was stabled at Rockingham for a while that was some crew!

Sonny had a brother in the game for a while back in the 70s, then he disappeared. I can’t remember his first name.
Here's one more   excellent horseman and driver from a bygone era who mentored many of those guys - Marcel Robillard

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    Today at 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    Today at 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    Today at 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Never tried it for that purpose. Will give it a try!
    May 15, 2024, 05:00:44 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: Vicks Vapor Rub is a great slipping cream
    May 14, 2024, 05:43:11 PM
  • The Thorn: Damn, You'all sound like a bunch of pussies.  Go smell some flowers and report back
    May 14, 2024, 12:41:19 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal