Author Topic: Claiming question  (Read 1324 times)

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
Claiming question
« on: September 29, 2023, 01:05:11 PM »
Can you still put a claim in on a horse who is scratched "Judges" and do they have to tell you why he is scratched "Judges" if allowed?

hmmm
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

Equus Caballus

• Elite
Re: Claiming question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 03:41:37 PM »
Can you still put a claim in on a horse who is scratched "Judges" and do they have to tell you why he is scratched "Judges" if allowed?

hmmm

A horse needs to reach the starting gate and hear the word “go” from the starter in order to be claimed

They don’t need to finish the mile

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 04:02:13 PM »
That is going to depend on the jurisdiction. Not sure who still allows it. Illinois did years ago. Not really a good idea best to wait for next start. I had a claim in on a filly at maywood years ago. Scratches sick owner wanted to pursue claiming that night. I said no. Filly was scratched sick because she collicked. Died at university that night.

Foalin at 4

• Top Claimer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 06:16:35 PM »
A horse needs to reach the starting gate and hear the word “go” from the starter in order to be claimed

The horse can be claimed in its next start for the claim price it was scratched out of. Even if not reentered in a claimer!

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 06:45:45 PM »

That must be new.

I know awhile back I was told once the program cleared the horse was eligible to be claimed no matter what. But that was 30 years ago too!

I do know and have seen some  claimed after he was entered and scratched and still never raced. The old trainer has the responsibility to bring the horse to the track within so many hours to be handle over to the new trainer. This still happens to this date.

Thats why I asked about being a "Judges" scratch still invokes that rule?

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 06:53:56 PM »
That must be a recent or State rule,because I had a  scratched claimer delivered to the track by the trainer who scratched him the day before. Also was bit in the ass when another guy scratched lame and pursued the claim. The poor horse had a fresh quarter crack on his R.R. foot,and he came in the Paddock hopping on 3 legs! Wasn't very funny then,but I get a chuckle out of it now! That was at Ppk.

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 06:54:56 PM »
     The horse can be claimed in its next start for the claim price it was scratched out of. Even if not reentered in a claimer!

I think that's a track-to-track rule. Just like if you scratch out of the 8 hole on a half mile track you are assigned the 8 hole the next start. But I rarely see that enforced as well.

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 06:56:34 PM »
That must be a recent or State rule,because I had a  scratched claimer delivered to the track by the trainer who scratched him the day before. Also was bit in the ass when another guy scratched lame and pursued the claim. The poor horse had a fresh quarter crack on his R.R. foot,and he came in the Paddock hopping on 3 legs! Wasn't very funny then,but I get a chuckle out of it now! That was at Ppk.

Correct, I think EC is confused or maybe that's the rule at his track.

Equus Caballus

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 08:16:51 PM »
Correct, I think EC is confused or maybe that's the rule at his track.

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL USTA RULE:

. Scratched Horse.—The successful claimant of a horse programmed to start
may, at his option, acquire ownership of a claimed horse even though such
claimed horse was scratched and did not start in the claiming race from
which it was scratched. The successful claimant must exercise his option by
9:00 a.m. of the day following the claiming race to which the horse was
programmed and scratched. Programmed to start shall be defined as appearing in the printed official racing program. No horse may be claimed from a
claiming race unless the race is contested.

SDST2009

• Top Claimer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 08:38:13 PM »
Way back when I recall a horse that was claimed but died on the track following the race. Cheap $3k claimer. The person claiming got out of it bc the horse was listed as a stud but was actually gelded and they said they were claiming it to breed (which was clearly a lie, but I guess the horse was in fact misrepresented).

Not really relevant here but always thought it was an interesting tale.

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 10:02:53 PM »

You are right except if not put back in for 30 days and qualified . Then the horse can be put in without being claimed.

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 10:50:50 PM »
HERE IS THE OFFICIAL USTA RULE:

. Scratched Horse.—The successful claimant of a horse programmed to start
may, at his option, acquire ownership of a claimed horse even though such
claimed horse was scratched and did not start in the claiming race from
which it was scratched. The successful claimant must exercise his option by
9:00 a.m. of the day following the claiming race to which the horse was
programmed and scratched. Programmed to start shall be defined as appearing in the printed official racing program. No horse may be claimed from a
claiming race unless the race is contested.

Exactly what I said. The horse does not have to be behind the gate to be claimed. Just entered after programed. The only part I left out was the race has to be run. Which I was assuming it had been.

The below statement is incorrect,

"A horse needs to reach the starting gate and hear the word “go” from the starter in order to be claimed"
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 10:53:19 PM by Kirby's Ace »

Equus Caballus

• Elite
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023, 10:56:30 PM »
Exactly what I said. The horse does not have to be behind the gate to be claimed. Just entered after programed. The only part I left out was the race has to be run. Which I was assuming it had been.

The below statement is incorrect,

"A horse needs to reach the starting gate and hear the word “go” from the starter in order to be claimed"

It’s possible the ruling changed over the years

I recall that on a training exam some years ago though, which is why I remember seeing it somewhere

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal