Author Topic: Has their been a good Stud that wore trotting hobbles ?  (Read 1230 times)

dinkadoo

• Elite
Has their been a good Stud that wore trotting hobbles ?
« on: September 20, 2023, 01:56:49 PM »
Following Red Mile this summer, and Delaware this week - Watching entire field of trotter wearing hobbles and bouncing around the track....

With Hobbles being a staple for the last 15 years + has there been a successful stud that wore trotting hobbles ?

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Re: Has their been a good Stud that wore trotting hobbles ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 02:29:51 PM »
Following Red Mile this summer, and Delaware this week - Watching entire field of trotter wearing hobbles and bouncing around the track....

With Hobbles being a staple for the last 15 years + has there been a successful stud that wore trotting hobbles ?
I don't know, but I do know Carl and Rod Allen can be thanked for the "explosion" of trotting hobbles. they had them on everything. John Patterson Sr., that's right senior, observing the trotting hobble craze, once said, "If your horse needs 'em that's your fault, not theirs"

dinkadoo

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 02:39:55 PM »
I don't know, but I do know Carl and Rod Allen can be thanked for the "explosion" of trotting hobbles. they had them on everything. John Patterson Sr., that's right senior, observing the trotting hobble craze, once said, "If your horse needs 'em that's your fault, not theirs"
hobbles yes / hobbles no

But I wish there was a standard for judges ( I know, I laugh at the thought of judges following a standard ) to adhere to for when trotters just gallop behind with trotting hobbles up front -- To me that is not trotting.

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 02:50:55 PM »

DEWEYCHEATUMNHOWE .. Had some modest success as a sire.  22 wins in 25 lifetime starts; >$3mm.  Won Breeders Crown, Hambo, Kentucky Futurity, World Trotting Derby, Canadian Trotting Classic.  In 2008 they started him with a $25,000 stud fee (quite ambitious)... and he had some success, but never rose to the top levels as a sire.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 02:55:17 PM »
DEWEYCHEATUMNHOWE.. Had some modest success as a sire.  22 wins in 25 lifetime starts; >$3mm.  Won Breeders Crown, Hambo, Kentucky Futurity, World Trotting Derby, Canadian Trotting Classic.  In 2008 they started him with a $25,000 stud fee (quite ambitious)... and he had some success, but never rose to the top levels as a sire.
That surprised me. I thought he would be great in the shed row as a sire. I always wondered if the near fatal accident Ray, his wife and the horse suffered while transporting him to the breeding farm had anything to do with that. I know that sounds silly on my part. Prolly didn't matter at all.

Jackie Mo

• Top Claimer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 03:43:47 PM »

Many of the Allen's wore hopples, many Royal Troubador sired

one named CR Kay Suzie--not sure how she did as a broodmare

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 04:06:19 PM »
I believe for a time Triumphant Caviar wore hobbles.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Locked in with pace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 04:49:57 PM »
The master, Ake doesn't use them on any of his horses.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 05:42:25 PM »
The master, Ake doesn't use them on any of his horses.
And I don't believe Per Henriksen, Jan Nordin, Berndt Linstedt, Hakan Wallner, or Charlie Sylvester did either ( maybe a lone rare occasion ) at most.

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 10:09:47 PM »
And I don't believe Per Henriksen, Jan Nordin, Berndt Linstedt, Hakan Wallner, or Charlie Sylvester did either ( maybe a lone rare occasion ) at most.

Some of Chuck Sylvester's horses used them.  I recall "Live Jazz" (very promising 2 year old who flattened out at 3) wore trotting pants.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2023, 10:47:32 PM »
Some of Chuck Sylvester's horses used them.  I recall "Live Jazz" (very promising 2 year old who flattened out at 3) wore trotting pants.
I'm sure there were instances where trainers I mentioned felt they had to use them. But I think you get what I was saying.

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2023, 12:09:40 PM »
CR Kay Suzie dam of CR Excalibar 460,000. Broodmare, I Believe. I think she might have a decent colt

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2023, 12:56:21 PM »
CR Kay Suzie only needed them for the first few strides off the gate. She would tend to pop the clutch when the wings folded.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal