Author Topic: Heard today that Stanley Dancer was a drug addict  (Read 5374 times)

Nameaintbrian

• Stakes Horse
  • Little Joe Anderson was the KING
Heard today that Stanley Dancer was a drug addict
« on: February 20, 2019, 09:48:39 PM »
A veteran horseplayer from back in the day told me that Stanley Dancer used to sell drugs at Liberty Bell Park and was addicted to coke and heroine. He dies of a coke overdose. How sad.
Ryan Anderson was the youngest driver to ever win a breeders crown race. It's all popcorn penny.

Rabbi Of Racing

Re: Heard today that Stanley Dancer was a drug addict
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 09:58:58 PM »
The  veteran horseplayer is lying to you,Stanley was NOT a drug user,YES,he was he drugged his horses,in fact,he was way ahead of his time in that regard,but he did not take drugs himself

Nameaintbrian

• Stakes Horse
  • Little Joe Anderson was the KING
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:11:30 PM »
The  veteran horseplayer is lying to you,Stanley was NOT a drug user,YES,he was he drugged his horses,in fact,he was way ahead of his time in that regard,but he did not take drugs himself
So he had the go-go juice well ahead of everyone else huh?
Ryan Anderson was the youngest driver to ever win a breeders crown race. It's all popcorn penny.

kantseeback

• Elite
  • I'm voting for honest Joe and Mrs Canker Cackles
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 09:35:18 AM »
Stanley pena?

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 09:40:36 AM »

MR.DALRAE

• Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 09:42:24 AM »
Stanley was a cheat and a prick

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 10:13:14 AM »
Stanley was a cheat and a prick

YOU NAILED IT JOE

zoot

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 10:33:26 AM »
Stanley was a prick, a drunk(as were Haughton and most of those guys on the grand circuit) cheated on his wife (had a girlfriend who traveled with him) was a tough and insightful businessman (bought Illinois bred trotter from harry sprunger and turned him into a world champion. su mac lad). revolutionized harness driving. speed, speed, spped. would say " the only hole I want is the big one on the front". he did have a personality when he was in the right mood. I was warming up mistletoe shallee for the lady maude at Roosevelt and "had" to sit with him between trips.(I usually avoided him as much as possible because of his attitude). he was showing me his driving helmet and telling me how expensive the paint job was. he said "if I ever go down in a wreck, don't worry about me just make sure you get this helmet out of the way".

Stanley was not a drug addict or associated with drugs on a personal level in any way. furthermore, the horses never got "go" juice. Stanley and his owners had some of the finest bred animals in the industry. many times they laid over their competition. that whole grand circuit was like a fraternity. a handful of trainer/drivers along with the breeding farms had it all locked up.every fall, the best bred yearlings went to the same trainers and the following spring and summer the champions emerged. it remained this way until the birth of the meadowlands which took much of the thunder out of the grand circuit. it was the grand circuit every night in east Rutherford. the best horses and trainers and drivers competed there night in and out.

by all accounts, the term " mr. harness racing" in regard to Stanley dancer is not misused. he was the man and the face of the industry thay exploded in popularity in the late 50's and early 60's.  yonkers and Roosevelt drew crowds of  20,000 plus on Fridays and Saturdays . somehow, that's all slipped away and we'll never see it again.

Michael Petrelli

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 11:00:00 AM »
If you're interested in visiting a one stop shop for viewing a great collection of cheats and less than savory stars, there's a place in Goshen NY called The Harness Racing Museum & Hall Of Fame. Does anyone really believe what we see today just started in the last 20 years??? Those guys did everything we see today, except they were smarter. Everyone made money and worked together. Pools were huge so what they did was easier to hide, people weren't running their mouths. Just because they have a statuette doesn't make them an angel.

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 11:22:46 AM »

Bernie Madoff

• Elite
  • In the beginning, man created"god".
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 11:40:07 AM »
Stanley was a prick, a drunk(as were Haughton and most of those guys on the grand circuit) cheated on his wife (had a girlfriend who traveled with him) was a tough and insightful businessman (bought Illinois bred trotter from harry sprunger and turned him into a world champion. su mac lad). revolutionized harness driving. speed, speed, spped. would say " the only hole I want is the big one on the front". he did have a personality when he was in the right mood. I was warming up mistletoe shallee for the lady maude at Roosevelt and "had" to sit with him between trips.(I usually avoided him as much as possible because of his attitude). he was showing me his driving helmet and telling me how expensive the paint job was. he said "if I ever go down in a wreck, don't worry about me just make sure you get this helmet out of the way".

Stanley was not a drug addict or associated with drugs on a personal level in any way. furthermore, the horses never got "go" juice. Stanley and his owners had some of the finest bred animals in the industry. many times they laid over their competition. that whole grand circuit was like a fraternity. a handful of trainer/drivers along with the breeding farms had it all locked up.every fall, the best bred yearlings went to the same trainers and the following spring and summer the champions emerged. it remained this way until the birth of the meadowlands which took much of the thunder out of the grand circuit. it was the grand circuit every night in east Rutherford. the best horses and trainers and drivers competed there night in and out.

by all accounts, the term " mr. harness racing" in regard to Stanley dancer is not misused. he was the man and the face of the industry thay exploded in popularity in the late 50's and early 60's.  yonkers and Roosevelt drew crowds of  20,000 plus on Fridays and Saturdays . somehow, that's all slipped away and we'll never see it again.

tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1
He who laughs last, laughs best.

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 11:55:03 AM »
Great synopsis, Zoot.  tmbz1

Atthetrack7

• Stakes Horse
  • saying the things DZ wishes he had the BALLS too
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 12:34:57 PM »
 These were the guys who started Harness Racing on its spiral down the porcelain bowl to its state we now have today.  Their stiffing and holding back to cash a bet chased many more gamblers away than the load and go guys of today.
 Should all be in the hall of Shame, not fame

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 12:47:39 PM »
Corruption and race fixing has been a staple in harness racing since the farmers raced after church for bragging rights. What made harness racing popular was it's legalized gambling. It was the only choice many had to place a wager.
Today , it is literally one of 100 way's to make a bet.

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 04:12:53 PM »
Corruption and race fixing has been a staple in harness racing since the farmers raced after church for bragging rights. What made harness racing popular was it's legalized gambling. It was the only choice many had to place a wager.
Today , it is literally one of 100 way's to make a bet.

also for some guys years ago it was a way to get even for a loss at the daytime thorobred races

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal