Author Topic: all white ake horse in weiss series Saturday  (Read 2670 times)

Bitter Truth

• Stakes Horse
Re: all white ake horse in weiss series Saturday
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2024, 06:56:39 PM »
That Dick Farrington had a horse : 'Warm Breeze'...Got beat in like 2:06 at
Scioto. First start I believe. Then went and won the Fox Stake the following race.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2024, 07:37:36 PM »
Dick Farrington tmbz1

Sure was! Laag was by Abercrombie out of the Meadow Skipper mare Tinsel (who was also the dam of Trim The Tree). Owned by none other than Albert Adams and Earl Laviana. When Laag was 3, Dick was already in his early 60's and still driving Laag. He wanted to give up the drive on the colt and give it to a top catch driver. Albert Adams fought him tooth and nail and insisted that Dick drive him. They had it out, and Dick told him he wanted Billy O'Donnell to drive the horse. Adams still said no. Dick won the argument. He was a very tough colt, very rugged.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2024, 07:44:59 PM »
Dick and Bob worked together until Dick got the job training for Lloyd Arnold. Years later he always had a few owners here and there. Never really solicited owners, but always had a few come to him with one or two, including a few breeders who kept or bought back some babies. Never had one of those big, powerhouse stables. Didn't seem to want that. His daughter married Jimmy Cruise Jr. and his son, "RL" may have married Brooke Nickells (Bruce's daughter), but I think they had a child together.

In addition to Laag, Dick had Warm Breeze, Tender Loving Care, and Solid Fuel...and the first two became "the fastest".....Warm Breeze setting the all-time world record in 1:53.1.....and Tender Loving Care, who became the fastest female ever in history winning in 1:52.4. Dick was a super nice guy. Funny guy too.

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2024, 08:48:24 PM »
My wife's favorite horse was Smog.  A roan colt who won the Cane Pace for Vernon Dancer from the 2nd tier.  He was gorgeous.  We named our Afghan Hound after him.

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2024, 06:30:21 AM »
I have always been fascinated by pure white and light roan horses.  As a note above pointed out, they can be stunningly beautiful when in motion.  Way back when I had a conversation with Stan Bergstein (which arose when we were discussing Laag, Sandra Lil and a few others) and he told me that the very first "pure" white trotter that was registered with the USTA was in 1940, and the name was Snow White (not to be confused with the great trotter of around 7 or 8 years ago!).  Neither of her parents were white and she was owned by Doc Parshall and driven by Carl Recor (sp.?); foaled in Burlington, WI.  She wintered at Pinehurst and not sure what her race record (if any) was.  Below is a link which discusses White Bliss (Pacer) and Via Lattea (trotting mare).

https://standardbredcanada.ca/news/10-23-15/sjoberg-finds-another-white-horse.html

Mohawk mac

• 4 claimer
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2024, 08:59:01 AM »
I just watched the Weiss replay on the Pocono website.  Stunningly beautiful!  Like many of you, I love gray, roan and white horses. In the late 1960's my favorite horse was Magic Time (Julep Time x Miss Magic Cash).  Light gray as a youngster and almost pure white as an aged performer.  He was a high class pacer most of his career.  Young Danny Shetler trained and drove him.  Dan and Magic Time even starred in a TV commercial for Washington Park Racetrack.   tmbz1

moelarrythecheese

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2024, 10:36:13 AM »
Admirals Express

Meadow Ford

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2024, 12:16:24 PM »
Broadway Express a roan sired many roans in IL.
When Broadway first came to IL. Terry Hunt adverdised that Broadway Express would "Change The Color of IL. Racing."
He did for awhile, but sadly it didn't last long.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Bitter Truth

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2024, 12:25:41 PM »
Luc drove one: Jet Laag. Pretty damn good horse. Remember him winning at Delaware.

SDST2009

• Top Claimer
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2024, 10:07:46 PM »
I have always been fascinated by pure white and light roan horses.  As a note above pointed out, they can be stunningly beautiful when in motion.  Way back when I had a conversation with Stan Bergstein (which arose when we were discussing Laag, Sandra Lil and a few others) and he told me that the very first "pure" white trotter that was registered with the USTA was in 1940, and the name was Snow White (not to be confused with the great trotter of around 7 or 8 years ago!).  Neither of her parents were white and she was owned by Doc Parshall and driven by Carl Recor (sp.?); foaled in Burlington, WI.  She wintered at Pinehurst and not sure what her race record (if any) was.  Below is a link which discusses White Bliss (Pacer) and Via Lattea (trotting mare).

https://standardbredcanada.ca/news/10-23-15/sjoberg-finds-another-white-horse.html

Had to laugh at the reference to Snow White as "7 to 8 years ago." Would you believe she was 2 in 2007? Seems not that long ago to me, neither, but it's 17 years.

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2024, 04:45:56 AM »
 87xc.2

Time flies when you get older ;>>)  Same partial ownership as Mission Brief and conflated the two in time.

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2024, 06:42:27 AM »
I had a gray trotter Rain Cloud by Storm Cloud . I recall Marvin Maker telling me to put him down on the horse as his wife will want to claim him, otherwise. I thought he was kidding. No, his wife a petite redhead, if I remember right, had 4 or 5 grey horses in their barn. Each one slower than the other.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal