Author Topic: Which drivers are the biggest gamblers  (Read 9304 times)

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
Re: Which drivers are the biggest gamblers
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2024, 01:32:09 PM »
I am guessing that -- all this comes from, one, a driver who got caught, so people say he's the biggest gambler. Two, it comes from the constant "friend of friend" who bets for said driver. Three, it comes from rumor and innuendo. That said, here's my take -- one, the biggest never get caught, until they do, and being we haven't heard about it, it hasn't happened. Mike Lachance's border incident is nothing more than everyone jumping to the conclusion that is was betting/winnings. But every time the story is told he had another $20k in cash on him. The Pan Am Sam story, same, although the horse did get sold for a lot of money and there was cash involved in the deal. Two, anyone who best for a driver, doesn't say peep because they know better. Lastly, rumor and $5 gets you a coffee, a donut and more BS than you can handle at Dunkin Donuts.

Exactly how much cash did Lachance try to smuggle over the border?--How was this resolved?

Thanks for the memory of Pan Am Sam--i would go to Garden St Park and watch the simulcast from M1--Sam was one of my faves back in those days. This was before ADWs and national simulcasting--mid 80s i would say.

Way to go

• Top Claimer
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2024, 01:47:59 PM »
Wendell Donaway

George Dennis

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2024, 02:00:39 PM »
People who say the cash Lachance had was from betting no nothing about the game at the level he was playing. Back then it was nothing for an owner to give a top driver 10-20k in cash to commit to their horse for the season

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2024, 03:54:32 PM »
People who say the cash Lachance had was from betting no nothing about the game at the level he was playing. Back then it was nothing for an owner to give a top driver 10-20k in cash to commit to their horse for the season

i heard it was much much more than that and it was from gambling/race track profits--but i really dont have anything but rumors from over the decades

ferdinand the bull

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2024, 05:41:31 PM »
i heard it was much much more than that and it was from gambling/race track profits--but i really dont have anything but rumors from over the decades
Usually some truth to those rumors
Lots of talk about McClure and Roy cashing big and McNair every hi5 mandatory payout. All good enough drivers to manipulate the outcome of a race

Bitter Truth

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2024, 05:52:46 PM »
I've found that with PLOP Bull. Often ahead on the scoop .Sure there's a fair amount of BS you have to cut thru,
but where there's smoke, there's fire most times. ;D

Locked in with pace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2024, 06:13:21 PM »
Mike Gagliardi

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2024, 08:16:53 PM »
Usually some truth to those rumors
Lots of talk about McClure and Roy cashing big and McNair every hi5 mandatory payout. All good enough drivers to manipulate the outcome of a race

i heard Jody is the one constructing the race when they have a pentafecta carryover

ferdinand the bull

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2024, 09:19:29 PM »
i heard Jody is the one constructing the race when they have a pentafecta carryover
I don't think he's the ring leader anymore
McClure and Roy

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2024, 10:55:42 PM »
Mike Gagliardi
Mike was a great guy he died of cancer years ago,  how you could even bring his name up is beyond me. The best horseman ever met you classless piece of shit.

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2024, 04:32:13 AM »
Mike Gagliardi

I had a trotter at the Meadowlands (pretty good sort) who was in over his head.  Benny Webster normally drove him for me, but Benny decided to head South (to Atlantic City) and so Mike drove the horse.  He was buried on the inside, but he slowly inched up along the rail as more horses moved to the outer flow.  He found a seam and won by a nose.  The tote board lit up at 45-1.  When I went out to get my pic taken Mike asked how I made out.  When I told him I didn't have a dime bet he looked at me like I had three heads!!

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2024, 04:34:44 AM »
Benny Webster and Frank Popfinger

Benny bet a lot more at the tables in AC and Vegas than he did at the track.  He had a lot of hangers-on who bet their own money and gave Benny a piece if they made out.

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2024, 07:03:00 AM »
I heard it was 100k. But remember there are 8 divisions when it comes to stake racing

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2024, 07:35:53 AM »
Mike was a great guy he died of cancer years ago,  how you could even bring his name up is beyond me. The best horseman ever met you classless piece of shit.
Selective memory. Yes, the man died of cancer and yes a dam good horsemen but, had larceny in his heart.

remington

• Open / FFA
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2024, 12:00:13 PM »
A lot of the drivers were great persons and great horsemen, but they had larceny in their hearts.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Never tried it for that purpose. Will give it a try!
    May 15, 2024, 05:00:44 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: Vicks Vapor Rub is a great slipping cream
    May 14, 2024, 05:43:11 PM
  • The Thorn: Damn, You'all sound like a bunch of pussies.  Go smell some flowers and report back
    May 14, 2024, 12:41:19 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal