Author Topic: Harrisburg, here they come!  (Read 8269 times)

Brown jug

• Elite
Re: Harrisburg, here they come!
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2023, 04:01:39 PM »
here's the thing
when  you get to that age ( same for some other recent big buyers) and you have more money than the next 2-3 generations of your family can spend than have some fun and go for it

wizardofoz

• Open / FFA
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2023, 07:44:58 PM »
The two-day mixed sale totaled $27.9 million, a record for the event, for 605 horses and stallion shares. The previous high, $27.5 million for 969 horses and stallion shares, was in 2006. This year’s mixed sale averaged $46,235, the third-best average in the history of the sale.

wizardofoz

• Open / FFA
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2023, 07:46:36 PM »

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2023, 09:40:27 PM »
Harris is a good horseman. He's shown he can race racehorses, overnight stock, racehorse barn, etc. He got a strong background coming from Bill Robinson and Casie Coleman's barns. However, this is a completely different ball game. Apples and bowling balls. Stepping up and buying major, high-priced, grand-circuit horses is very, very different. He has only been on his own since around 2015, and even then he just had racehorses. He's developing some experience with this and he'll get better. Buying that kind of stock not only takes being a good horseman, trainer, and so forth, but you also need to know how to manage a horse, develop and manage a campaign, prepping a horse and getting him to peak for the big paychecks, and so on. Now add buying $5mm or whatever in babies, and that too is a totally different type of skill set. Couple all this with the owner being a newbie. Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Thanks Casie. Tell us how good Tony is too

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2023, 11:24:43 PM »
Harris is a good horseman. He's shown he can race racehorses, overnight stock, racehorse barn, etc. He got a strong background coming from Bill Robinson and Casie Coleman's barns. However, this is a completely different ball game. Apples and bowling balls. Stepping up and buying major, high-priced, grand-circuit horses is very, very different. He has only been on his own since around 2015, and even then he just had racehorses. He's developing some experience with this and he'll get better. Buying that kind of stock not only takes being a good horseman, trainer, and so forth, but you also need to know how to manage a horse, develop and manage a campaign, prepping a horse and getting him to peak for the big paychecks, and so on. Now add buying $5mm or whatever in babies, and that too is a totally different type of skill set. Couple all this with the owner being a newbie. Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

I have a lot of bowling balls in my closet.  I have bowled the Professional Bowlers Association {PBA50} 50+ professionals a handful of times as an amateur.  I cashed in 1 tournament.  It is a completely different game as the level of the game changes.  The same goes in buying yearlings and breaking babies and competing against the Burke, Alagna, Takter, Toscano, et al.  Has Harris even done this (break babies)?  Welcome to the Big Leagues!  If all goes well, we should have an answer by the 4th of July!  Best of luck in your endeavors Andrew!

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2023, 01:24:44 AM »
Harris usually starts with around 20 babies a year. So far it hasn’t gone well including the 6-10 this same owner bought last year

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2023, 11:25:43 AM »
Rename this thread to Harrisburg came and went.  ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2023, 11:52:31 AM »
Amazing the amount of headlines when new sales records are set but after -16% , not a thing can be found.  I could never understand how high yearling prices justified the print and interviews or….. were good for the industry. 

Generation XYZ

• Elite
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2023, 12:20:54 PM »
Amazing the amount of headlines when new sales records are set but after -16% , not a thing can be found.  I could never understand how high yearling prices justified the print and interviews or….. were good for the industry.

I agree Parked. Makes the small barns feel like they will never get a chance at top stock or big purses.

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2023, 12:28:43 PM »
Rename this thread to Harrisburg came and went.  ngc3 ngc3 ngc3

or

harris buys harrisburg  ;D
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

Generation XYZ

• Elite
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2023, 03:38:15 PM »
or

harris buys harrisburg  ;D

Yes, that pretty much summarizes Harrisburg 2023.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
  • Indian24: Herpes can be treated but will always be with you  ngc3
    May 06, 2024, 10:11:57 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Where in the world did this rash come from?
    May 06, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal