Author Topic: Lucas Wallin— training fees in the stratosphere  (Read 4200 times)

rainman2

• Elite
Re: Lucas Wallin— training fees in the stratosphere
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 06:19:32 PM »
Im not sure about Nancy bills--but the owner told me that Lucas Wallin charged more than Jimmy Takter--he had horses with both-and is very wealthy-someone who can afford high bills. What pissed him off like I said--he fills up his 6 horse trailer to go TRAIN-then instead of pro-rating costs-he charged each horse something like 500$ EACH. you don't do that to wealthy owners--they have money-but are not stupid. The 10,000/month was not a one off--in fact he had a few months the bill was close to 15. Yes they were stake horses-but with those fees they would want to win 150K a year to break EVEN.  I posted this because I was just surprised at the costs he charged as I assumed someone who starts at the bottom would be the lowest in costs--appears I was mistaken.
I wish Lucas the best-don't wish him any ill will--just a heads up.

Even with Casie Coleman’s “bills”, you needed about $ 100000 [not sure if this was US or Canadian $] just to break even!

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2023, 12:17:33 PM »
Everybody charges to go to Big M to train, it's never been free. Pelling was charging 100. back in the 90's, nobody bitched, if ya did he didn't train for ya. If you don't know the costs going in it's on you. Always ask, How Much do YOU charge. Can't imagine sending a bill and not having discussed this with my owners. I remember a time when Chuck Sylvester was charging a buck for faxes and for anytime you phoned Sharon. How much did Troy and Beek make shipping? One of my owners sent them a colt, he showed me the bills, nothing free 

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2023, 03:30:44 PM »
who knows what else was in the monthly bills, starting fees, special treatments etc, shipping, grooms cost if travelling with a stake horse
he has to be within line to the other guys or owners would leave

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2023, 05:50:21 PM »
Sport of kings

Correction, the ‘new sport of kings’ if you employ these trainers!!

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2023, 07:42:47 PM »
Im not sure about Nancy bills--but the owner told me that Lucas Wallin charged more than Jimmy Takter--he had horses with both-and is very wealthy-someone who can afford high bills. What pissed him off like I said--he fills up his 6 horse trailer to go TRAIN-then instead of pro-rating costs-he charged each horse something like 500$ EACH. you don't do that to wealthy owners--they have money-but are not stupid. The 10,000/month was not a one off--in fact he had a few months the bill was close to 15. Yes they were stake horses-but with those fees they would want to win 150K a year to break EVEN.  I posted this because I was just surprised at the costs he charged as I assumed someone who starts at the bottom would be the lowest in costs--appears I was mistaken.

Like I said, I am calling BS. No chance this is true. This owner is full of sh#t. You will never hear another owner claiming they pay a normal, typical 10k training bill to Lucas Wallin, or any trainer for that matter. Period. Bob Baffert, Todd Pletcher, Chad Brown, no thoroughbred trainer charges even close to a daily rate that could add up to $10k per month.

What makes this even more BS is a guy complaining about paying a "special" or "solo" shipping rate of $5000, instead of a "freight" rate, and that's his beef -- rather than $10k training bill. Any bill that is $10k (is a one-off exception) INCLUDES the trainer's percentage, AND barn stake/bonus, stakes payments, and some sort of commission. If this is true, and I still say it's BS, then there is something very big missing here. Maybe surgery? A trainer's commission for the sale of a horse. I know one trainer who used to bill that over several months if the owner requested it. No way is a guy regularly paying $10k per month.

Harness racer

• Elite
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2023, 05:38:54 AM »
I agree...sounds very high.  Who could afford that on a regular basis?

hoosierboy

• Elite
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2023, 06:29:56 AM »
I call bullshit on this.  Lucas is up and coming trainer if he is getting that much can’t imagine what the others are getting.  Maybe owner should post the bill instead of having his friend come in here talking shit

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2023, 10:11:31 AM »
I agree...sounds very high.  Who could afford that on a regular basis?
Not hard to get over $10k in a month on stakes horses. You could easily have that in entry fees and shipping alone in the summer.

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2023, 10:15:57 AM »
Going rate for shipping from the farms around New Egypt is $200 per head.  Not “something like $500”. Lucas didn’t start at the bottom he had the backing to come out swinging right out of the gate. And produced results. He is a in demand trainer at the moment he should be charging top dollar

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2023, 02:26:16 PM »

Very wealthy? Are you talking to Mario Mazza? Come on he bitches about everything.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Harness racer

• Elite
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2023, 02:29:15 PM »
Why are we still talking about this?  There is zero chance his bills on a regular basis are $10k.  That's absurd to think anyone charges that on a regular monthly basis.

wizardofoz

• Open / FFA
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2023, 02:56:03 PM »
There is NO way ANY trainer can get $10,000 per month for STRAIGHT per days training, shipping, stall space, paddock fees, etc.  If vet bills are $5000 per month, unload that horse! That is a ridiculous amount if it EXCLUDES starting fees and % retained as a partner fees.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal