Author Topic: Lucas Wallin— training fees in the stratosphere  (Read 4199 times)

bond

• Elite
Lucas Wallin— training fees in the stratosphere
« on: December 10, 2023, 11:27:38 PM »
Owner was telling me he just saw Lucas sunning himself  in the tropics after getting ripped off in training bills
The training bills run at 10,000$ a month or more and what pissed him off was when he loaded his trailer up to go train at Meadowland he charged something like 500$ a horse!!
Not sure about the other Swedes but they certainly know how to charge.
IMHO he couldn’t hold Ake’s jock strap so boggles the mind how he gets clients.

wizardofoz

• Open / FFA
Re: Lucas Wallin— training fees in the stratosphere
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 11:44:02 PM »
If true this is outrageous and obscene! These guys are pricing themselves OUT of the business for what they do! Does anyone know AKE's monthly fees?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 11:45:56 PM by wizardofoz »

captain morgan

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 09:12:34 AM »
They say Engblom prices are up there as well

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 09:29:35 AM »
Owner was telling me he just saw Lucas sunning himself  in the tropics after getting ripped off in training bills
The training bills run at 10,000$ a month or more and what pissed him off was when he loaded his trailer up to go train at Meadowland he charged something like 500$ a horse!!
Not sure about the other Swedes but they certainly know how to charge.
IMHO he couldn’t hold Ake’s jock strap so boggles the mind how he gets clients.

They only charge that amount because idiots pay that amount!
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 09:43:12 AM »
If true this is outrageous and obscene! These guys are pricing themselves OUT of the business for what they do! Does anyone know AKE's monthly fees?

Ake used to be 75, or 80.00 per day.  There are a few add ons like groom's housing, and the normal surcharges, Shipping etc. But even if Ake is 90 - 100.00 per day thers a big difference between Wallin and AKE. Lets be real here. Wallin is marginal at best.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 09:45:11 AM »
Ake used to be 75, or 80.00 per day.  There are a few add ons like groom's housing, and the normal surcharges, Shipping etc. But even if Ake is 90 - 100.00 per day thers a big difference between Wallin and AKE. Lets be real here. Wallin is marginal at best.

hes over a 100  aday right now
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 10:45:26 AM »
it is getting out of control
yes costs are rising but purses are not
tough to break even

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 01:51:49 PM »
it is getting out of control
yes costs are rising but purses are not
tough to break even

But in perspective TB's are a minimum of 130.00 per day to $350.00
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 01:58:53 PM »
Sport of kings

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 02:41:54 PM »
hes over a 100  aday right now

At $ 100/day ownership better be getting desired results, otherwise it might be time to move on!

mwins

• Open / FFA
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 02:59:16 PM »
$100 a day is nothing. Thats 3k a month.
Its all the extras and hidden fees.
shipping
paddocks
blacksmith
vet

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 04:21:33 PM »
Who doesn't charge for Blacksmith, vet, paddocks and shipping. Only a moron, I've been charging those since the 60's. I charged for equipment, for a groom to be at the blacksmith shop, my travel plus exp for grooms on the road (15.00 per day), % for grooms. Daily rates, are what ever they are, if ya don't like them move some where cheaper. So the kid took a vacation to Hawaii with his family, I Know I took a vacation every winter, couldn't do it in the summer. You think he's overcharging, he has had a pretty decent year.   

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 04:39:13 PM »
I am calling BS on this one. No way is this guy paying Lucas Wallin $10k per month to train a horse. No chance. Period. Now, if you want to tell me this is a one-off, isolated situation -- a stakes (winning) horse -- AND THIS BILL INCLUDES the trainer's 5% share (of a stakes win or two that particular month), shipping, vet work, etc., OK, I will buy that. But $10k -- if it exists -- is a one-off, an exception. No way it is the norm. BS.

I've met Lucas several times, seen him around plenty, spoke to him, etc. When Lucas had Rebuff racing, I saw him one morning in Lexington and we talked. I asked him his daily rate, vet work, feed, etc. I was curious for myself. For my life I don't remember what he said, but that's because it was a normal, typical number. He's a young, up and coming trainer, and if he continues, gets support, makes quality, intelligent decisions, he could have a very good future in front of him. Maybe exceptional. If you want a Swedish/Scandinavian trainer, and one who runs a public stable, having an alternative to Nancy Takter IMO is a good thing! LOL. Remember, Lucas did very well for himself from jump when he went on his own, and no, I don't mean from his daily rate. He owned a piece of Rebuff. He bought him as a yearling on his own account, and only had one owner interested, and that was for a small piece. That owner bought 10% immediately, After that Lucas sold the majority of the horse to another owner, but he still retained 15 or 20% for himself. The horse earned just under $1mm.

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 04:53:51 PM »
 tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1

bond

• Elite
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2023, 06:10:37 PM »
I am calling BS on this one. No way is this guy paying Lucas Wallin $10k per month to train a horse. No chance. Period. Now, if you want to tell me this is a one-off, isolated situation -- a stakes (winning) horse -- AND THIS BILL INCLUDES the trainer's 5% share (of a stakes win or two that particular month), shipping, vet work, etc., OK, I will buy that. But $10k -- if it exists -- is a one-off, an exception. No way it is the norm. BS.

I've met Lucas several times, seen him around plenty, spoke to him, etc. When Lucas had Rebuff racing, I saw him one morning in Lexington and we talked. I asked him his daily rate, vet work, feed, etc. I was curious for myself. For my life I don't remember what he said, but that's because it was a normal, typical number. He's a young, up and coming trainer, and if he continues, gets support, makes quality, intelligent decisions, he could have a very good future in front of him. Maybe exceptional. If you want a Swedish/Scandinavian trainer, and one who runs a public stable, having an alternative to Nancy Takter IMO is a good thing! LOL. Remember, Lucas did very well for himself from jump when he went on his own, and no, I don't mean from his daily rate. He owned a piece of Rebuff. He bought him as a yearling on his own account, and only had one owner interested, and that was for a small piece. That owner bought 10% immediately, After that Lucas sold the majority of the horse to another owner, but he still retained 15 or 20% for himself. The horse earned just under $1mm.

Im not sure about Nancy bills--but the owner told me that Lucas Wallin charged more than Jimmy Takter--he had horses with both-and is very wealthy-someone who can afford high bills. What pissed him off like I said--he fills up his 6 horse trailer to go TRAIN-then instead of pro-rating costs-he charged each horse something like 500$ EACH. you don't do that to wealthy owners--they have money-but are not stupid. The 10,000/month was not a one off--in fact he had a few months the bill was close to 15. Yes they were stake horses-but with those fees they would want to win 150K a year to break EVEN.  I posted this because I was just surprised at the costs he charged as I assumed someone who starts at the bottom would be the lowest in costs--appears I was mistaken.
I wish Lucas the best-don't wish him any ill will--just a heads up.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal