Author Topic: What have harness tracks done to have always fast racing surfaces ?  (Read 1510 times)

LimeTime

• Top Claimer
 There used to be many more off tracks, muddy conditions, routinely off 3-5 seconds, now it takes a major downpour to make an off track. And is this surface good for the horses because I dont see many dominant 8 yr olds like there used to be. Quick Command and Rambling WIllie were stars at 8 and from Ive read were drugged quite a bit so maybe the surfaces have an impact.

shamrock stable

• Top Claimer
Re: What have harness tracks done to have always fast racing surfaces ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 05:15:29 PM »
They scrape the track  its like racing on concrete. No slop. The water runs right to the infield. Not good for the horses

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 06:00:10 PM »
The condition of the tracks is the main reason for the turnover of horses. The days of a trainer racing the same 10 horses an entire year went out the window when the main focus of the tracks became the time of the mile! Old man Roger has been screaming the final time for years and I always wondered why, then it became clear to me!Houston yells the time so loud because the only people that care about it are miles away on breeding farms!!! ngc3

LimeTime

• Top Claimer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 07:38:47 PM »
The condition of the tracks is the main reason for the turnover of horses. The days of a trainer racing the same 10 horses an entire year went out the window when the main focus of the tracks became the time of the mile! Old man Roger has been screaming the final time for years and I always wondered why, then it became clear to me!Houston yells the time so loud because the only people that care about it are miles away on breeding farms!!! ngc3
Its a sad commentary on harness racing. Too many things are negative that have happened.

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 08:00:23 PM »
The race track could give two fucks about the horses. I remember years ago the Meadowlands was a limestone surface horses were breaking down left and right they could give a fuck less. When it rains they scrape these tracks like it's an asphalt highway water runs right off.

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 08:20:20 PM »
The catch drivers are the biggest issue. They want to go fast but not get dirty. Next week they got another option if yours breaks down

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 09:39:09 PM »
The catch drivers are the biggest issue. They want to go fast but not get dirty. Next week they got another option if yours breaks down
Campbell and O'Donnell were the 2 biggest pussies about mud. They used to scream for apron and fenders if it was raining 50 miles away.

dinkadoo

• Elite
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 11:31:52 AM »
Campbell and O'Donnell were the 2 biggest pussies about mud. They used to scream for apron and fenders if it was raining 50 miles away.

ahhh secondary question.

Why was/is that the judges at least call for fenders or not ?  I raced once and the previous start the track was off and I had fenders on my bike -- next start, track was fast, didn't think about and as I was ready to lead out of the paddock and the judge told me to take them off.....  Why ??

Today you see alot of drivers ( Arod was one of the first that I noticed  ) have a screen apron on their bikes at all times.

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 11:40:30 AM »

Billy O' got an eye injury from flying mud, that's why he was sensitive about it.

Lance

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 12:06:34 PM »
Billy O' got an eye injury from flying mud, that's why he was sensitive about it.

It sucks get stuff getting shot into your eye....can be painful, or so i'm told.  Nothing wrong with getting a little mud on your helmet though. 

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 12:23:13 PM »
Most tracks sold the harrows for scrap and bought another screen.  Harder and harder the tracks get and easier to keep that way.
Only really good track man in NYS is Kim Crawford. 

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 02:01:49 PM »
the only people that should care about time are allard, surrick etc , they are counting days
time of the race should be a non issue other than comparing horses in a race( since all harness races are exactly the same)
we all know thoroughbred times have not really declined in 30 years while harness have dropped a lot
tbred handicappers pay little attention to the final time of the race

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 08:40:41 PM »
It sucks get stuff getting shot into your eye....can be painful, or so i'm told.  Nothing wrong with getting a little mud on your helmet though.

73za.ot

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal