Author Topic: Dexter Dunn may be contacted by PETA after 10th at The Red Mile  (Read 3782 times)

SDST2009

• Open / FFA
Re: Dexter Dunn may be contacted by PETA after 10th at The Red Mile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2023, 08:52:54 AM »
Not quite sure what all my friends are disagreeing with ? I do defend Yannick based on hie earning ability, but I clearly say he overdrives his horses. I am not a big fan of his "style" . To me there are 3 drivers Tetrick, Dave Miller and Scotty. Then there is everyone else. Sears has dropped a tick and Brennan seems to be ending his career at YR. Dave Miller in some ways is our new John Campbell., if you get my drift....

For me, the disagreement was in calling Dunn an overdriver. I think he is the opposite from what I have seen.

Totally agree re: Tetrick, Dave, Scotty. Sears also does well just doesn't really get the top ones and/or drive as much it seems anymore.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2023, 11:25:38 AM »
For me, the disagreement was in calling Dunn an overdriver. I think he is the opposite from what I have seen.

Totally agree re: Tetrick, Dave, Scotty. Sears also does well just doesn't really get the top ones and/or drive as much it seems anymore.
I think i get what you ,mean about Dunn underdriving. I think you mean sometimes he swings to the unagressive side and almost hangs back a bit in spots where he should be more forwardly placed. is this what you are saying because I do see him do this.

Flip side, I have seen him this year yank dead horses to the outside, come real early on a first over run and "bring the whole kitchen sink" and he does at times go down the road on impossible missions the way Yannick does. Maybe it's me but his whole timing seems just a bit off this, like an MLB player at the plate fouling a lot of balls off. Still,he is earning at a good clip. Has to get that UDRS over .310 at least   That's where I was coming from. I appreciate the intelligent discourse.

SDST2009

• Open / FFA
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2023, 04:54:25 PM »
I think i get what you ,mean about Dunn underdriving. I think you mean sometimes he swings to the unagressive side and almost hangs back a bit in spots where he should be more forwardly placed. is this what you are saying because I do see him do this.

Flip side, I have seen him this year yank dead horses to the outside, come real early on a first over run and "bring the whole kitchen sink" and he does at times go down the road on impossible missions the way Yannick does. Maybe it's me but his whole timing seems just a bit off this, like an MLB player at the plate fouling a lot of balls off. Still,he is earning at a good clip. Has to get that UDRS over .310 at least   That's where I was coming from. I appreciate the intelligent discourse.

I am not saying it doesn't happen but I just really haven't seen Dex eviscerate a horse the way YG can and does (not all the time, but it definitely happens). He just seems a kinder driver. I admire James Mac @ Mohawk for the same reason - he is very kind to his drives and actually to his (and the bettors) detriment at times because he gets them buried. But he isn't going to burn one out, and as an owner with a small group of horses without unlimited pockets to replace them, I can appreciate that in a driver. YG, driving for the likes of Burkes where every one in every class has a replacement waiting in the wings, doesn't seem to matter if you bottom them out every week or cripple them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 04:56:05 PM by SDST2009 »

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2023, 05:07:32 PM »
I hear ya. Just like Walter at YR and RR. Put down on 3 per race every race, so WTF just blast, kick and sidearm everything. there's always another.

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2023, 05:26:03 PM »
I hear ya. Just like Walter at YR and RR. Put down on 3 per race every race, so WTF just blast, kick and sidearm everything. there's always another.

Yep and if that 1 doesn’t ever race again you got 2 more to choose from next week. Personally I did very well with middle of the road drivers always had a horse to race next week. But if ever in a big money race. I wouldn’t worry about next week tell after   

SDST2009

• Open / FFA
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2023, 05:52:56 PM »
Yep and if that 1 doesn’t ever race again you got 2 more to choose from next week. Personally I did very well with middle of the road drivers always had a horse to race next week. But if ever in a big money race. I wouldn’t worry about next week tell after

Totally agree - you gotta get what you can out of a horse for sure, especially when you have the big $$ on the line, but I hate seeing a horse do all they can and someone whaling on them. Some of these guys are not really horseman, IMO. Churn and burn.

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2023, 06:01:28 PM »
The last horse i claimed I got shit constantly for using a mid level driver. He got me $40k a year for 5 years. BTW I claimed him for $7500

SDST2009

• Open / FFA
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2023, 06:04:22 PM »
The last horse i claimed I got shit constantly for using a mid level driver. He got me $40k a year for 5 years. BTW I claimed him for $7500

Those are the kind you want, though. Pay the bills, have a little fun. Yeah, everyone would love a world champ but they're few and far between and you better have some deep pockets.

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2023, 06:11:57 PM »
Those are the kind you want, though. Pay the bills, have a little fun. Yeah, everyone would love a world champ but they're few and far between and you better have some deep pockets.

Yep. I figured he fed me last 4 years of my full time training. So now I feed him and the wife rides him from time to time. Part of the family now. But if not for my lesser driver he would have been sold or claimed long ago. Your choice if you want a hot shot driver. I go with the steady guys

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2023, 06:14:29 PM »
And I always knew I would have the same driver every week. Don’t get me wrong in the right situation I would of loved to have Timmy drive him and get a new lifetime mark but couldn’t ever get it to work

SDST2009

• Open / FFA
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2023, 06:14:35 PM »
Yep. I figured he fed me last 4 years of my full time training. So now I feed him and the wife rides him from time to time. Part of the family now. But if not for my lesser driver he would have been sold or claimed long ago. Your choice if you want a hot shot driver. I go with the steady guys

Love to hear that - good on you for keeping him around.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2023, 06:45:17 PM »
total agreement. Nice to hear real horseman talk. My regular drivers were Luc, Herve, Rejean & Jimmy Marohn. I had interest in horses that Carmine and Buddy trained, so no choice there.

ferdinand the bull

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2023, 12:01:02 AM »
And dont get me wrong...

I think Dex Dunn one of the best currently  in US..

US   Top ...  not necessarily in order

Dex Dunn
Brian Sears/ David Miller
Tetrick/Gingras
Mcarthies

Canada

Jody Jamieson
McNair
Sylvain Filion
Roy

again mix and match the order as to taste..

Just saying Dunn ...crazy drive...and everyone entitled to

a screw up...

Just the other day ..got up early and brushed with wrong toothpaste..

I thought it tasted a bit odd..

when I was done I saw marked on the tube.....

"Preparation H"

I guess that was worse than a 53:2 1/2 and a 1:20 flat 3/4?
How do you leave off Scotty Z

ferdinand the bull

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2023, 12:07:34 AM »
For my money in canada:

Mcdonald (guess which one  ngc3)
Fillion - notice last night. Always shows up on grassroots and gold finals. Getting old but still very good.
McNair

Roy, i find to put it nice,  a little quirky. Seems to have some some odd drives and a lot of trotters break.  Wasnt he allards find?
Roy investing in certain trainers Stables makes him.a hard play when he's driving against those barns or if he's in a claiming race . There's always that thought he could be scouting one out for himself and his partners.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: Noxema gives me a soothing rush
    May 12, 2024, 01:08:57 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Wouldn't know, never had a need for it
    May 12, 2024, 12:12:11 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Yes it still offers that same cool sensation.
    May 12, 2024, 09:49:40 AM
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    May 11, 2024, 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal