Author Topic: Let the best horse win.  (Read 2955 times)

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
Let the best horse win.
« on: September 23, 2023, 11:32:17 AM »
I cut my teeth in harness racing back in the early 70's at Northfield and my horses have trained at both Northfield and Delaware County fairgrounds both 1/2 mile tracks. I use to think the 1/2 mile track used to be the most exciting and best place to race. After being at the Jug this year I left with feeling of not being satisfied with the winner. I have always thought the best horse in the field deserves to win the big races and should be able to overcome bad trips most the time. IMO It's My Show was not the best horse at the Jug this year. Sure there was a speed duel at the front and that cost the best horse IMO the race. Now if that happen on a mile track would Cannibal have ducked and waited for the stretch. I'm beginning to lean toward the bigger tracks that gives the best horse a better chance to win and not taking them out of the race. Would like others opinions.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Re: Let the best horse win.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 11:42:16 AM »
I cut my teeth in harness racing back in the early 70's at Northfield and my horses have trained at both Northfield and Delaware County fairgrounds both 1/2 mile tracks. I use to think the 1/2 mile track used to be the most exciting and best place to race. After being at the Jug this year I left with feeling of not being satisfied with the winner. I have always thought the best horse in the field deserves to win the big races and should be able to overcome bad trips most the time. IMO It's My Show was not the best horse at the Jug this year. Sure there was a speed duel at the front and that cost the best horse IMO the race. Now if that happen on a mile track would Cannibal have ducked and waited for the stretch. I'm beginning to lean toward the bigger tracks that gives the best horse a better chance to win and not taking them out of the race. Would like others opinions.
If i open my mouth with a word of agreement or support I will be cut to shreds/ Trashcano and her training suit pouch have many friends on here.

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 11:44:01 AM »
This is why the Grand Circuit is a traveling roadshow! If the size of the track was uniform, the same horses would excell in every race. Fans are drawn to the races for different reasons. Like they say.."Variety is the spice of life " and "Different Strokes for Different Folks!"

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 12:20:46 PM »

The best/fastest horse doesn't always win on a half mile track. An inside post position obviously has more value on a half than a mile track.  Driver's knowledge of their horse, reading the race as it happens, and knowing the ability of the other drivers and horses plays an important role. Winning consistently with a variety of horses on a half mile track is a true testament of a driver's ability.

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 12:33:57 PM »
well if the best horse was supposed to win all the time i assume that would be the favorite all the time and who wants that especially from a gambling perspective

some horses are better on a 1/2 or 5/8 , why should the have to race all on mile tracks
things are good the way they are, different size tracks makes things interesting, the jug is unique and special
now to be clear i am fine with major races na cup, meadowlands pace and breeders crown all on big tracks to ensure everyone has a fair shot

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023, 12:45:33 PM »
well if the best horse was supposed to win all the time i assume that would be the favorite all the time and who wants that especially from a gambling perspective

some horses are better on a 1/2 or 5/8 , why should the have to race all on mile tracks
things are good the way they are, different size tracks makes things interesting, the jug is unique and special
now to be clear i am fine with major races na cup, meadowlands pace and breeders crown all on big tracks to ensure everyone has a fair shot
perfectly stated

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 02:51:30 PM »

I agree there should various size tracks and I always enjoy the Jug being so close to home. And I have nothing against Its My Show connections either. I think he a great horse but wasn't in the best form coming into the race. But in most cases regardless of how the race unfolds the best horse has won the Jug. That's why they have heats format to try and ensure that. I think back at Life Sign and Wiggle it Jiggle it races both being park and still the best horse won. BTW I was around when Niatross was the favorite every race he won, but had more excitement surrounding him than anything nowadays except maybe SBSW.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 03:03:47 PM by Open bridle »

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 02:53:09 PM »
If i open my mouth with a word of agreement or support I will be cut to shreds/ Trashcano and her training suit pouch have many friends on here.
Ole Lordy, can I please get an Amen!

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2023, 10:49:10 AM »
I agree there should various size tracks and I always enjoy the Jug being so close to home. And I have nothing against Its My Show connections either. I think he a great horse but wasn't in the best form coming into the race. But in most cases regardless of how the race unfolds the best horse has won the Jug. That's why they have heats format to try and ensure that. I think back at Life Sign and Wiggle it Jiggle it races both being park and still the best horse won. BTW I was around when Niatross was the favorite every race he won, but had more excitement surrounding him than anything nowadays except maybe SBSW.

Look at who drove Niatross and SBSW!  1 hall of famer because of training/driving Niatross and a few other good horses?  How good of a driver did SBSW have??

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2023, 10:53:00 AM »
You seem to be able to hold your own here.  Your opinions are solid.  Hang on.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2023, 10:55:02 AM »
Ty for the support tmbz1

wisha roder

• Top Claimer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2023, 11:20:42 AM »
Glad to see Linda win.  I've not met her but one thing i've always noticed about her stable is that she knows when to stop with a 2 year old and i give her credit for that.  As for Delaware, it's a tough track for some horses.  It's unlike most 1/2 mile tracks and it seems most would prefer to gun to the front because it's a half.  I noticed early in the week that the front was not holding up well.

White Rabbit

• Open / FFA
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2023, 12:49:35 PM »

So you’re just assuming that Timmy’s colt left alone on the lead to dictate the number s at his lesure , like Cannibal did in the first heat would have just folded up when pressed.
Fugs ,
Not cutting you to shreds, but both times once at 2 & @ 3 Confederate was truly tested and had to work the length of the stretch he came up short. You proclaimed him a GOAT but he has a couple of big dances to get through before we put him up there with that group.
Open B watch the metro last night,  big track and it looked like the best horse went back to the paddock
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 12:51:51 PM by White Rabbit »

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2023, 01:03:56 PM »
So you’re just assuming that Timmy’s colt left alone on the lead to dictate the number s at his lesure , like Cannibal did in the first heat would have just folded up when pressed.
Fugs ,
Not cutting you to shreds, but both times once at 2 & @ 3 Confederate was truly tested and had to work the length of the stretch he came up short. You proclaimed him a GOAT but he has a couple of big dances to get through before we put him up there with that group.
Open B watch the metro last night,  big track and it looked like the best horse went back to the paddock
Ok since you have toned down the animosity, ty., I will respond. As you know, the quote you just re posted did not come from me. i don't even agree with most of.
\
I never proclaimed Confederate the greatest of all time I DID put him in a top 5 along with the greatest 3 year olds I ever saw - Niatross, Nihilator, SBSW, Cams Card, Matts Scooter.   I did so because of what I saw Confederate do and as a horseman what I felt he could do, his head , neck, shoulder proportions, something I firmly believe in, THE BEST LOOKING 3 year old pacer I have ever seen is Matts Scooter and because i knew is groom Hughey, I actually got to put my hands on him physically - a life time thrill, Confederate reminds me a great deal of Matts. I am in awe of Confederate's ability to switch gears, repeatedly in the stretch, he can become airborne on a dime. he is a colt "that dont like to lose" When he put down the all time 3 year old record, I agree it was an elaborate TT, but what impressed me is that he is a horse from a different era having to race in a world, a sport, that is dominated by speed. it bothers me the way they manage young horses these days, but the business has moved past me. Would loved to have seen him race 25 times, not 12 against everyone, everywhere especially the Jug. It offends me that he wasn't in it! Imagine him an older FFA horse, especially the way he takes care of himself....If only, right buddy?

White Rabbit

• Open / FFA
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2023, 05:05:12 PM »
I think he may be ok if spotted properly, as far as which races he would go in @ 4. But that’s a tall order for a young 4 yr. I didn’t think he has 18 lifetime goes. Plus the deeper the aged horse get into the year the better they get. Case in point Tattoo Artist, who I said the day before on Plop that he would win the CPD.
Bythemis is go example of being a young 4 yr and having a hard time holding his top form all year
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 05:07:13 PM by White Rabbit »

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Thats self centered to the max Madoff.
    May 19, 2024, 09:08:38 PM
  • Laag: ruthless
    May 19, 2024, 05:57:58 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: I come in my hand.
    May 19, 2024, 11:31:18 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal