Author Topic: Skill or luck. What's more important to get these babies to the races?  (Read 2515 times)

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
Seems every trainer has their own method of training them down to get them to the races. But a lot of babies don't make it due to injury, etc.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 11:30:02 AM by Open bridle »

Ohracing

• Top Claimer
There is obviously skill involved but luck plays a bigger part.  If any of these trainers think its all them they are confused.  All the trainers have horses the bought that don't turn out to be any good that they thought would be good or they wouldn't have bought them.  Anymore most horses are pretty natural and can get to qualifying time pretty easily you have no idea which ones are going to continue to progress or level off.

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
To many press on as spring arrives. With speed comes soreness. Alot of folks aren't willing to give time off to heal and small setbacks turn into bigger problems with gait and attitude. I'd rather miss a week or two in early spring than an entire summer!

Third Over

• 4 claimer
I say mostly luck..cuz actually only 10-15% make a profit and skill can't fix everything that can go wrong.

Parked

• Elite
I stick with trainers with 20 to 25 horses. I have more of a success rate for my type of yearlings (25 - 50,000  SS programs) than with the survival of the fittest type. just get a trainer who has the same philosophy  as you about when its time to go on or back off.  I always have the last word.

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
To many press on as spring arrives. With speed comes soreness. Alot of folks aren't willing to give time off to heal and small setbacks turn into bigger problems with gait and attitude. I'd rather miss a week or two in early spring than an entire summer!
I heard one trainer is already at 2:15 with his babies. That seems awful fast this time of the year. But he has trained a horse of the year and some nice grand circuit horses. Can't argue with that.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 02:04:02 PM by Open bridle »

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
I stick with trainers with 20 to 25 horses. I have more of a success rate for my type of yearlings (25 - 50,000  SS programs) than with the survival of the fittest type. just get a trainer who has the same philosophy  as you about when its time to go on or back off.  I always have the last word.
I agree. You really wonder if these high end trainers with the large stables are worth their training fees.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 01:51:22 PM by Open bridle »

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
Heard Burke was in 15, 2wks ago.

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
Heard Burke was in 15, 2wks ago.
I would think 15 in Florida on a mile track might be equal to higher times on a smaller track up north.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 04:17:48 PM by Open bridle »

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
Nobody in Florida is at 215

Stop

Most between 230 and 225

I just visited three farms
There
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
My trainer said he talked to two very well know trainers on the east side of Florida and both in 225. Not Burkes. But was told another top tier trainer was in 215 which we scratched are heads why.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 05:25:44 PM by Open bridle »

ferdinand the bull

• Stakes Horse
My trainer said he talked to two very well know trainers on the east side of Florida and both in 225. Not Burkes. But was told another top tier trainer was in 215 which we scratched are heads why.
Let's see where they're at August throughout October when they get paid

Jazzman

• Stakes Horse
100% luck worked for some large colt stables its all about the numbers

Gasman401

• NW-1
most can race at  2 but few are great   jmo

PrincessDi

• NW-1
Let's see where they're at August throughout October when they get paid

Guess they won’t be around then if they miss the Mark! Most babies require time, patience and knowledge. Anyone can get lucky but when you shoot blanks you always come up with nothing. Right Ferdinand?

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Thats self centered to the max Madoff.
    May 19, 2024, 09:08:38 PM
  • Laag: ruthless
    May 19, 2024, 05:57:58 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: I come in my hand.
    May 19, 2024, 11:31:18 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal